New Zealand Vodafone iPhone unlocked or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mklnz, Aug 10, 2008.

1. mklnz macrumors regular

Just wondering if the New Zealand non contract Vodafone iPhone is unlocked world-wide or just unlocked for Vodafone NZ sim cards?

Anyone have tried this?

2. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Please use the search button. This was only just brought up yesterday...

Im not really sure. Some please say yes some say no...

3. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

good question thats exactly what I'm trying to find out :)

4. mklnz thread starter macrumors regular

I did do a search.. I didn't get any conclusive results hence decided to make a new thread about it, to see if anyone have a definitive answer.

Anyone knows?

5. jongriff macrumors member

Is there no-one who has tried this? I can't get a definitive answer either way! I'm in NZ at the moment and would love to come back with an unlocked iPhone 3G!

6. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Well if your there go and ask?!?!

7. jongriff macrumors member

Yeh done that. Went to 3 stores, 1 said its unlocked the other 2 said it was locked. No way to test it because I would have to be in the UK to know, Vodafone is the only GSM network here. Might just have to risk it anyway

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

9. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

it's unlocked, but the apn is locked so if you want to use data you need to go to this site: http://www.unlockit.co.nz/ to unlock.

10. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

Hi Ivan, When you say the data is locked, can you explain what you mean, I'm new to mobiles.

Thanks - I know someone in NZ and going to get them to buy one and send it over to uk, any other issues you know about that might arise?

11. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

12. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

it's only data locked when using a vodafone NZ sim card

13. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

The person I know in NZ went into the vodaphone shop and was told that the iphone is locked to NZ and wouldn't be able to work outside of NZ. Maybe the person in the shop was just saying that to discourage exporting.

They also said you had to take out some sort of contract from somewhere to get it working fully, but I think that means get a sim card, although not sure if an ordinary sim card would limit any of the phones functionality.

14. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

15. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

Thanks for that link and info

I've been hearing mixed messages, apparently vodaphone employee's have been telling customers different things, some are saying its locked, some saying its unlocked. I don't think they would want to promote the fact its unlocked to customers though, they may just be wanting them to buy vodaphone sim cards. Found this youtube video with a person from NZ demonstrating that its unlocked - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhxtRSQyVg8

I'm not bothered about using a vodaphone pay as you go sim in it, but would like to find out if it will work in the uk and if any features will be limited.

16. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

The New Zealand iPhone 3G is UNLOCKED for other Vodafone region sim cards.

I've tried it personally.

I work for Vodafone in the UK and had a customer come into my store who was on holiday from New Zealand. He had the New Zealand iPhone 3G. I tried the phone with my UK Vodafone sim card and everything worked fine.
    :cool:

17. mistyness macrumors newbie

But is it unlocked for sims anywhere?

i am searching everywhere for this too! It does seem so but can you also upgrade the firmwear legally? i found some one in italy who was claiming this just want to know if anyone eles has found? perhaps this is a new thread? sorry i will travel to New Zealand to get one if this can be confirmed
    thanks in advance if anyone can help :eek:

18. ishopukisfake macrumors regular

I investigated this a few weeks ago and couldn't find a definitive answer, some people said it was open to all countries sims, some people said apple have restricted the handsets to only work with sim cards native to the country.
    I wouldnt take the chance, especially now they are FINALLY:rolleyes: available in the uk with pay as you go yay :). I just ordered one a few hours ago.

btw i think the uk pay as you go are locked to o2 carrier - it seems apple are at work to make it more and more difficult to bend the law or legit route. so the safest way is probably best.

19. mistyness macrumors newbie

Thanks for this

So difficult if you travel consistently to the same countries...i guess hugely expensive roaming is the only answer.
    I did find this in Italy but hard to know if for real?
    http://www.iphone3g-free-sim.co.cc/Order_Now!.html
    hope its ok to post this
    thanks