Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjcaguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
(cringe) Forgive me. I'm switching today from my PC laptop.

I'm embarassed even to ask this question:

Do I need virus protection on my new Mac?

What virus-protection software do you folks recommend?

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
you don't really need any. if you are really worried, you can get one when you sign up for .Mac. i've had my PB since Feb. and haven't had any problems with any virus.

the only minor exception is that you should enable anti-macro virus in Office X because those work across the platform.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
norton gives more problems normally than it resolves.

if you don't use M$ office, but e.g. http://www.openoffice.org (is free and does most of the stuff ms office does) or other editors, no worries for macros either. ... keeping your computer M$-free feels gooood...

spinner

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2002
South Dakota
I have had a Mac since 1990, and I have never had a virus. I haven't purchased antivirus software for probably 6 years or better.

Now I have 2 eMacs at my business and have been asked several times by customers "so, did that blaster virus take down your machines too?" I was happy to answer "no, of course not, they're Macs" :D

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Never had a problem with a virus and I don't use virus protection. I've worked for companies that use Macs exclusively, and they didn't run any virus protection either.

Better to spend you money on a good disk utility rather than anti-virus software.

Oh, and the macro virus "protection" in Word (which is enabled by default), only shows a popup window when you try to open a document that contains macros. Not really much in the way of protection, but you really don't have much to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.