Newbie/Clueless - Itouch wifi not connecting to my IMac, out of both boxes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IslandR, Apr 28, 2009.

1. IslandR macrumors newbie

Hello

Mac OS X 10.5.6
    3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

32G ITouch 2.2.1

I have recently gotten the ITouch and thought that it would connect automatically to my IMac through a wifi connection using Airport with the computers software.

Earlier after trying to set up a network in Settings the Touch would see the network but never connect.

I tried to manually enter the IP address from info found in Settings> Network.

At my girlfriends place the Touch sees her wifi network but will not connect. While an older windows laptop connects with an aircard. She also has an IMac.

I have not been to a place that has free internet.

I am sure that there are some basic changes I need to make to make these connections possible.

You should know I come from the world of windows.

Thank you

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

No, it doesn't connect directly to the computer and use it's connection. You need to have a wireless network. Which means that you have a router that sends out a WiFi signal. And it's not an "Itouch" it's an iPod Touch.

Don

3. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

It sounds like your girlfriend's wireless has some kind of security on it, either a password or probably screens the MAC address of your wireless iTouch. If that's the case, putting the MAC address of your iTouch into her wireless router should let your iTouch 'in'.

Good luck.

4. IslandR thread starter macrumors newbie

Both of us are using IMacs with the same operating versions ( I assume )
    she does not use a router

Her daughter has an Ipod Touch that found her wifi,

How can I tell if my IMac is "broadcasting" a wifi network

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

The computer does not broadcast a WiFi signal, It receives a WiFi signal from a router, or it is plugged into a router or modem with a ethernet cable. If your friends daughter is connecting to a WiFi network with her iPod Touch your friend has a router, or her daughter is leaching onto someone else's network.

You need a router to create a WiFi network, your iMac can't broadcast a WiFi signal.

Don

6. IslandR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for replying

I don't intend to argue with you, I am a little confused.

when my girlfriend came to my house with her laptop she was able "see" and to my IMac. The network name is/was the name of my computer.

I want to believe that my IMac can do it all

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

If she could see your iMac, you have a network established, which means that you have a router. You need to find out what the SSID of your network is, and what the network password is, enter that info into your iPod Touch, and you should be all set. Sorry if I'm coming across as an ass, but I'm in a bit of a foul mood today.

Don

8. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Just throwing this out there because I quite don't understand whats going on yet but...You can use your Mac to create ad-hoc networks...

9. IslandR thread starter macrumors newbie

I suspect that is what I have been doing. from the top "info" bar if I click on on the network symbol, then select network preferences.

I don't know were to find info on where to set these up. I have done some searches in the various forums here.

Is this information I need to get from the help area of my Internet Provider?

10. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

11. SelfMadeCelo macrumors regular

SelfMadeCelo

Setting up Wi-Fi

1. Click on the AirPort icon in your menu bar. From the AirPort menu, select Create Network.

2. Click on Show Options and encrypt the connection by entering a password as described in the dialog box.

3. Click on OK. The AirPort icon in the system menu bar changes to a little computer in a gray signal field.

4. Each user on your ad hoc network can now select the network that appears in his or her AirPort menu and enter the password you set.

12. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

That will not share the internet to the iPod Touch. You need to use internet sharing which is in sharing preferences. open System preferences ( menu then click on system preferences.) then click on sharing. find intetrnet sharing and select "share your connection form" and click on ethernet. (If you use a cable to connect to the internet) Then in share your connection to select airport. Click on airport options and change the name and check enable encryption (using WEP). type a password in and then set it up on the iPod Touch. (use the same password there as you used on the computer)

13. IslandR thread starter macrumors newbie

Man do I feel like an idiot.

If you touch the Ipod on the wrong side of the screen it makes all the difference. by "clicking" on the other side of the network choice bar i am now in.

Thanks all

14. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Yes you do need wi-fi signal.

Call me weird but what really irritates me is when people call the iPod touch an "iTouch"

15. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Gotcha. I have a 1st gen Nano, and a 1st gen iPhone....so iPod Touch, iPod, iTouch...in my mind, they're all interchangeable. I see 3 groups: Nano, iPod, iPhone. I guess I need re-education to: iPod nano, iPod Classic, iPod Touch, iPhone.

Oh...then there's my iMac. Wait...nevermind....

:cool: