Newbie ? - "could not activate cellular data network"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dloreski, Oct 14, 2011.

1. dloreski macrumors member

I just had my BB turned off and picked up a new 4S from the AT&T store.
    When i enter safari, I get this message - " could not activate cellular data network ".
    Do I need to activate this through the phone or do I call AT&T for them to turn it on?

2. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

Working

Did you ever figured this out? My daughter is having the same problem and she is on her way over here so I can hopefully figure out what is wrong with it.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How long has it been since you activated the phone? Sometimes it takes a while for the data network to "see" your device.

4. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

i had the same problem, what helped for me was this

go here settings> general> reset> reset network settings! this worked like a charm! hope you fix it!

5. disarticulate macrumors regular

iPhone says that whenever it can't detect a cellular data connection. You might still see a few bars in the top left but it's for voice only. Try putting your phone in airplane mode for 15 seconds and then come out of it. Or you simply might be in an area with no data coverage. Have you tried turning on data roaming in settings > general > network?

6. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I can verify that going to airplane mode, then back fixed my "Could not active cellular data network" problem.

7. Legionnaire macrumors 6502

this should fix it

settings
    general
    reset
    reset network settings.

8. travise82 macrumors newbie

Airplane mode fixed this issue for me as well, thanks!! I just got my 4S yesterday and have been puzzled as to why I continued to receive the cellular data error.