Newbie here. Looking for someone local(SoCal)to help me bake my MBP logicboard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SonicYan, Jun 27, 2013.

1. SonicYan, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

SonicYan macrumors newbie

Edit: Cliffs: I basically just need someone local who knows how to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqeqTVAD9E

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm currently visiting from the Philippines and have an early 08 MBP. My laptop's video card/logic board has died on me earlier this year. I think its known already that this laptop has had issues, even recalls. But unfortunately, Apple did not accept warranty replacement because both Apple Care and the time frame for the recall has elapsed. I have tried having it replaced before, but they said since there was no issue at the moment, they will not replace it.

Anyway, where I live, labor is much cheaper so I was able to pay someone to open up my laptop and do the "baking" fix, but much more elegantly by heating up only the video card when they opened up the laptop. This "fix" has been done three times already and seems to revive my laptop every time. Unfortunately, due to family emergencies, I had to go here to LA/OC, and while here, my laptop has again died on me and I have no idea where to have this done, or have the tools/know how to do it on my own(no oven). I was hoping there was someone local to me that could help me do it since I need to access some important files.

Sorry for the long first post and I apologize in advance if for some reason this post violates any rules of this forum. I'm a regular at another forum (philmug.ph aka Philippine Macintosh Users group) and have no other recourse at the moment. Thanks for your time.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well, I'm lost. Are you asking for someone to help you "bake" or basically damage your logic board so you can get a replacement?

3. SonicYan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm talking about this fix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiqeqTVAD9E

Like I mentioned, back home, there was a more elegant way of "baking", where they had a heat gun heat the video card that was soldered onto the logic board. This heat helps with reflowing current through the video card again from what I understand.

For DIYers here, they just bake the whole logic board.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is out of my wheelhouse and sounds incredibly unsafe. Hope you find the help you want.

5. SonicYan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, hence my reason for asking help. I've read a lot of success stories online though. Its just the disassembly part where I'm afraid I'll be having the most trouble.