newbie - How to upgrade from iPhone 4 on 4.1 (Jailbroken) to 5.0.1 instead of 5.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CTHartford, Apr 30, 2012.

1. CTHartford, Apr 30, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012

CTHartford macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.1 that is jailbroken and unlocked. Is there anyway I can upgrade to 5.0.1 and if so can I still unlock it? Unlocking it is not an absolute necessity, but need to upgrade and Jailbreak. Any advise on how to go about it will be greatly appreciated, especially since 5.0.1 is no longer the official iOS.

Thanks in advance.

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

If you're already jailbroken - make sure you have SHSH blobs and APTicket for 5.0.1 saved, then follow the tutorial on iClarified.com under tutorials > Jailbreak > (select appropriate tutorial for your computer type and device).

If you do NOT have SHSH blobs and APTicket saved, you're stuck updating to 5.1 and doing a tethered jailbreak (unless that turns you off), or staying on your current firmware. I personally went this route the other day. Haven't messed with it much, but it seems to be stable and running smoothly.

Good luck.

3. CTHartford thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply..

ZCherub,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure if I have the saved SHSH. I am not sure if I want to go with the tethered jailbreak, will wait it out. Hope the dev-team will come out with one soon.

Appreciate your assistance.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Run your phone through Tiny Umbrella and it will tell you which shsh save on your phone.

5. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Either way. If you're good about managin your battery & not installing Cydia packages unless you're near your computer, tethered isn't a bad option - enjoy!

6. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

I'm in the same boat as the OP and a little confused.

Background info:
    -Currently JBd on 4.2.1 with ATT so I don't need to be unlocked.
    -I'd like to update to at 5.0 (Bc of cool apps)
    -Cydia shows me my SHSH are saved from 4.0 - 5.1

Can I updated to 5.0 and keep my untethered JB?

"Better to bring up an existing thread than waste a new one"

7. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Do you show 5.0.1 SHSH Blobs saves? Did you save your APTicket? If the answer to either of these is "no", you'll have to leave it as is, or update to 5.1 & do the tethered JB (what I did, & I'm happy w/ it so far).

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I assume since he said 4.0 through 5.1, 5.0.1 would be included.

9. jsquared, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012

jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Yes I have 5.0.1 SHSH saved. But here might be my downfall....what is an APticket? Not sure if I have ever received the APticket bc I've never been on 5.X.X

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I would, too - but we all know what happens when you assume...

----------

I think the 5.0.1 ship has sailed for you, then - sorry. Again, 5.1 tethered JB is a good option. Just keep an eye on your battery (have a car charger, etc.) & don't mess w/ Cydia tweaks/apps when away from your computer & you'll be fine.