Newbie iPhone User - iMessage Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lazhil, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Lazhil macrumors newbie

I have relatives in Brazil and live in the US.

If I add the cell number of one of them to my contacts and they also have an iPhone with iMessage, will it send the text as SMS or iMessage?
    Or even further, is it that simple? I'm just trying to avoid getting paying SMS charges if iMessage will avoid it.

2. TjeuV macrumors 6502

it should still send texts through iMessage when the receiver is also connected to some wifi or mobile data connection

3. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

So try to send them a text message as you normally would. If the "SEND" button turns BLUE, then it will be an iMessage. If it stays GREEN, then it will be text message.

With that being said, if sending it as an iMessage is not successful, it will automatically try and send it as a text message. You can turn that option off in the Settings.

Hope that helps!

4. Lazhil thread starter macrumors newbie

How should I enter the phone number?
    As mobile or iPhone?

And, do I enter it as (Country Code) (Area Code) (Number) or do I have to enter the 011 that is what you dial when you're dialing internationally out of the US?

5. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Try both.
    Try to input both ways into the phone book and just wait and see if the "SEND" button turns BLUE in iMessages.

I've never tried it myself so, i'm not sure. And I don't have any contacts overseas who use iMessage, so can't check either. Sorry.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If you want to avoid the charges completely you would be better off asking them for the email address they use as there apple id/iMessage id.

That way if the message fails to send it won't revert to sending a txt. Win win

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Correct, use their AppleID to send to first. If they're able to use data connection of any kind, they'll get the message.

8. Lazhil thread starter macrumors newbie

Where do I enter a user's apple ID on the contacts screen?

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

It's just their email address.

10. Lazhil thread starter macrumors newbie

OK here's how it worked:

Entered it as iPhone
    Entered number as: (Country Code) (Area Code) (Phone Number)

It's working.

11. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you're on AT&T(not sure about Verizon or Sprint) try a *3282# in your phone app and make sure when you receive the message that you're not getting charged for international text messages.

12. cynics macrumors G4

Was the message you sent green or blue? It will still send SMS if you tell it it's an iPhone and it's not.

Also scroll to the top of all the messages it will have a time date in the center and say text message or iMessage.

I had a friend that did not have an iPhone but I entered it was one. The message header said text message and my text were green. The day he got an iPhone it put a new header on the messages saying iMessage and all my text after that are blue.

13. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Just enter their their email address under contacts and when you go to message them just select their email and it should send as iMessage.