Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Hi guys, it's my first post here and I REALLY have NO idea what I'm doing... I want to Network my G4 which is running OS 9.2 (not 8) and my PC w/ WinXP. I know it's possible (or so I've been told) and I've done some searching (on this site as well) but I'm completely lost on this one. I want to be able to share files back and forth and use the Internet off of my PC. I've plugged my Mac into my hub with RJ-45 cable :D, but yeah that's about it.

ANY help would be appreciated... If someone could lay it out step-by-step that would be great or if there are any tutorials out there 'for dummies' please point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance...

--Imz68

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Re: Newbie: Networking Mac and PC?

Originally posted by imz68
Hi guys, it's my first post here and I REALLY have NO idea what I'm doing... I want to Network my G4 which is running OS 8 and my PC w/ WinXP. I know it's possible (or so I've been told) and I've done some searching (on this site as well) but I'm completely lost on this one. I want to be able to share files back and forth and use the Internet off of my PC. I've plugged my Mac into my hub with RJ-45 cable :D, but yeah that's about it.

ANY help would be appreciated... If someone could lay it out step-by-step that would be great or if there are any tutorials out there 'for dummies' please point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance...

--Imz68
Swap out your hub for a router. Plug both computers via RJ-45 into the router. As for the rest of it, this is a subject that has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to mention. Do a little research.

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Thanks for the help, I've done what you suggested and from the research I've done thus far, it seems as though my Windows XP should recognize the Mac upon a restart, which it isn't doing. Any idea what could be wrong?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Thanks for the help, I've done what you suggested and from the research I've done thus far, it seems as though my Windows XP should recognize the Mac upon a restart, which it isn't doing. Any idea what could be wrong?
Do you have SMB enabled on your Mac?

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
I'm not sure, where do I go on my mac to enable the Server Message Block?

I did some more reading today and I came across something that said that XP doesn't have an Appletalk protocol... I don't know if this makes a difference or not but the Appletalk protocol is enabled on my mac.

EDIT: I made a typo in my first post, I'm runnin OS 9.2....

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Appletalk is not what you want. I have only passing familiarity with the older OSes for Mac, but look in the control panels for something that's called "ethernet" or "networking" or "TCP/IP".
What you want is to enable TCP/IP networking.

Once you do that it'll probably all work (hopefully). You'll need your Mac set to use DHCP, which means it'll get an address from your router - but that is probably the default.

I'm assuming your "hub" is really a "router" or a "switch" - can you tell us who made it and what model it is? (so we can tell for sure) If it's truly a hub - which are not often found anymore - you are probably going to need to replace it.

But you need to get the basic TCP/IP networking functioning (meaning you can browse the Web, and check e-mail) before you start worrying about stuff like SMB.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
OS9.2? What's that :D?

Seriously though, Panther will have far better networking support than 9.2 as it's based on Unix..

TheIceman5

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2004
i got same problem here, i got an old ibook laptop 64meg ram i cant put OSX on, i got OS 9.2 and i wanna share a folder on mac with my PC but i cant fins out how to connect to it.
i got it connected to router, the mac gets the internet no worried, i got file sharing turned on and a folder shared.
i can ping the mac from pc.
i just cant workout what to put into the PC to tell it what to look for to connect.

as i was typing here just now a message popped up on mac saying it could not enable file sharing, what am i doing wrong here?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Originally posted by Darwin
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't belive 9.2 is capable of sharing with Windows, at least not without extra software. I remember there was a program called DAVE which was installed on the Mac which allowed it to work with PCs

heres a link:

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

Hope this helps!
XP (Pro?) supports FTP out of the box. You can use a MacOS 9.x ftp client to access the files on the XP machine. Interarchy can mount an FTP site on the MacOS 9 (or MacOS X 10.x) desktop just like any other networked volume.

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by Westside guy
Appletalk is not what you want. I have only passing familiarity with the older OSes for Mac, but look in the control panels for something that's called "ethernet" or "networking" or "TCP/IP".
What you want is to enable TCP/IP networking.

Once you do that it'll probably all work (hopefully). You'll need your Mac set to use DHCP, which means it'll get an address from your router - but that is probably the default.

I'm assuming your "hub" is really a "router" or a "switch" - can you tell us who made it and what model it is? (so we can tell for sure) If it's truly a hub - which are not often found anymore - you are probably going to need to replace it.

But you need to get the basic TCP/IP networking functioning (meaning you can browse the Web, and check e-mail) before you start worrying about stuff like SMB.

Okay things are starting to make sense...

I checked my Network Properties and My Lan connection is currently via "Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC"

EDIT: My home network is connected through the same device my main computer is using to connect to my cable modem... so yeah I'm guessing it is a router...

Now I went on my Mac to the Control Panel > TCP/IP but it says my settings are locked by an administrator. I got this computer from a friend so I'm assuming this is his doing as opposed to a default. My next question obviously, is how do I unlock them? I'll ask him if he has the password and/or if he remembers doing any of this, but I'm guessing without this step I'll be out of luck.

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by aldo
OS9.2? What's that :D?

Seriously though, Panther will have far better networking support than 9.2 as it's based on Unix..

Ahhh slow down :p lol one thing at a time!!!

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by Darwin
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't belive 9.2 is capable of sharing with Windows, at least not without extra software. I remember there was a program called DAVE which was installed on the Mac which allowed it to work with PCs

heres a link:

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

Hope this helps!

I came across this as well, but if I can get my TCP/IP stuff up and running will I still need this software?

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by MisterMe
XP (Pro?) supports FTP out of the box. You can use a MacOS 9.x ftp client to access the files on the XP machine. Interarchy can mount an FTP site on the MacOS 9 (or MacOS X 10.x) desktop just like any other networked volume.

How does FTP sharing work? Do you upload/dowload files from/to your main computer to a remote computer? Is there a way to simply create shared folders on all computers to allow dragging and dropping?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
How does FTP sharing work? Do you upload/dowload files from/to your main computer to a remote computer? Is there a way to simply create shared folders on all computers to allow dragging and dropping?
Enable SMB on the Mac.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by MisterMe
Enable SMB on the Mac.
He's running OS 9!

Ok, here, this whole thread is really confusing and unhelpful so I will try to explain.

SMB

SMB is also known as Samba, or CIFS. This is the standard for networking Windows-based machines. It is supported by Mac OS X, Unix, Linux, and Windows. Mac OS 9 does not support SMB without a program called DAVE. You can use DAVE to network your Mac and PC very easily, but it will cost ~$130. If you choose DAVE then you can simply read the instructions on what to do.

FTP

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It is commonly used for downloading files from the internet. You can set up an FTP server on either your PC or your Mac. You can do this by downloading a third party FTP server application. There will be a lot of these for Windows. You should be able to find one on http://www.versiontracker.com/ or http://www.download.com/ . Once you download the FTP server program, you should follow it's instructions to set it up. Now, once it is set up you can download an FTP client from http://www.versiontracker.com/ for your Mac, and type in the IP address of your PC (it will be formed like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) in the server address box, and you should get the list of files that you have shared via FTP on your windows computer. You can upload and download these files.

Hope this helps!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Now I went on my Mac to the Control Panel > TCP/IP but it says my settings are locked by an administrator. I got this computer from a friend so I'm assuming this is his doing as opposed to a default. My next question obviously, is how do I unlock them? I'll ask him if he has the password and/or if he remembers doing any of this, but I'm guessing without this step I'll be out of luck.

Just a suggestion (I don't know the answer to this). This particular question about "admin access to OS 9" will probably be seen by more people if you post it as a new thread on the forum. There are probably a number of people who might know the answer, but won't see the question currently because they don't necessarilly know the networking stuff and aren't reading this thread.

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by OutThere761
He's running OS 9!

Ok, here, this whole thread is really confusing and unhelpful so I will try to explain.

SMB

SMB is also known as Samba, or CIFS. This is the standard for networking Windows-based machines. It is supported by Mac OS X, Unix, Linux, and Windows. Mac OS 9 does not support SMB without a program called DAVE. You can use DAVE to network your Mac and PC very easily, but it will cost ~$130. If you choose DAVE then you can simply read the instructions on what to do.

FTP

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It is commonly used for downloading files from the internet. You can set up an FTP server on either your PC or your Mac. You can do this by downloading a third party FTP server application. There will be a lot of these for Windows. You should be able to find one on http://www.versiontracker.com/ or http://www.download.com/ . Once you download the FTP server program, you should follow it's instructions to set it up. Now, once it is set up you can download an FTP client from http://www.versiontracker.com/ for your Mac, and type in the IP address of your PC (it will be formed like this: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) in the server address box, and you should get the list of files that you have shared via FTP on your windows computer. You can upload and download these files.

Hope this helps!

Thanks man, this has been very helpful!

I downloaded an FTP server for my PC and an FTP Client for my Mac. I had no problems on my PC but when I installed the client on my Mac and attempted to connect with my IP address it gave me an error. I think I don't have the correct Username/Password. Do I create this user/pass on my PC?

Also, what would you suggest for internet sharing? TCP/IP?

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Originally posted by Westside guy
Just a suggestion (I don't know the answer to this). This particular question about "admin access to OS 9" will probably be seen by more people if you post it as a new thread on the forum. There are probably a number of people who might know the answer, but won't see the question currently because they don't necessarilly know the networking stuff and aren't reading this thread.

Thanks for the heads up! I think I'll give it a shot.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I don't know anything about internet sharing, sorry, but...

You do set the username and password on the FTP server, so, there is probably a default user name and password that is in the FTP server. You can first try Username:"guest" and password "guest", and then if that doesn't work look in the documentation for the FTP server, and look in the settings for the FTP server to make an account in the server. This all varies a lot depending on the server, so you should look definitley try looking through the help files for your particular server. I would download it and mess around myself, but I don't have a PC. Good luck!

imz68

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?!?!

I got it to worrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk *YAY* (applause) haha yeah I trashed the old TCP/IP settings as suggested in the other thread and I finally got access to reset them! From there I messed around a bit with what you people told me and I put in my DHCP address thing and voila! It worked, I officially have Internet access on my mac!!! (Can you tell I'm a little bit excited?)

As for file sharing, I'm getting closer, but no luck thus far. The only problem I'm having is with usernames/passwords. I don't know what to use on which computer. If anyone can play around with this I'd appreciate it! I'm using D1FTP on the mac and LeechFTP on my PC, I also have WS FTP on my PC if that helps. I got the programs (with the exception of WSFTP) from http://www.versiontracker.com

Thanks for all of your help guys! I really appreciate it!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.