Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayneg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2003
Is there a way for two users to exchange iTunes mp3's with each other? I have the administrator account, and my wife has a separate account on the same machine (17" iMac with 10.2.3).

What I would like is for her to be able to drag files out of her iTunes library into a folder that I can access when I log in. I'm new to the file-sharing thing. Please help.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
you could just set her iTunes account to use the same directory that your MP3s are held in (users/[username]/music/itunes music) and have different playlists - i think that's what you're after. Not sure. Just an idea!

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I'm not sure how to do it, but I have a simple suggestion:

Just make one user account on the iMac. This makes things so much simpler.

My family has a Dell laptop in our Kitchen that we share. At first, I set it up so we could all had seperate accounts, but It caused to much trouble with sharing songs between accounts. Now, I have our Dell and our new iMac setup on one account, and all the users just use it. Makes life a lot simpler.

I guess the question you should ask yourself is how much do you trust your wife? ;)

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Just assign the same path to the same folder in iTunes prefs on each account. Use the default folder or create a new one and put it anywhere you like. Be sure to set the permissions of the folder so that it is accessable from both accounts. no big deal at all.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by tjwett
Just assign the same path to the same folder in iTunes prefs on each account. Use the default folder or create a new one and put it anywhere you like. Be sure to set the permissions of the folder so that it is accessable from both accounts. no big deal at all.

Set the directory in the root of your drive. If it's in a user folder you will have more hassle.

Dan

comrade

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
orlando, fl
If you just want to trade a few songs (that's what it seemed like you asked) there is always the drop box or shared folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.