Newbie question: how do you get Pages templates to fit into the printing area?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BenLeong, Aug 7, 2011.

1. BenLeong macrumors member

I'm new to Pages(and Macs) as of a week ago. I'm thinking about switching to Pages rather than sticking with Word. I've noticed Pages has a lot of really nice-looking templates, such as Posters, Flyers, etc.

But all of them are way too big to print on a normal 8.5" x 11" sheet of printer paper.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    They can scale down (or up) to almost any size paper.

Or if your question is really about squeezing them down to the printable area, that's a bit trickier but can be done as well. Often the reason you want those kinds of images to stretch beyond the edge of the page is for something called "bleed." In very simple terms, if you had something printed professionally, those graphics that go beyond your own printable area would print filling the page edge to edge.

If you scale them down to fully fit within the printable area, you're going to have a frame effect- the white borders of the unprintable area surrounding the designs. That probably won't look very good. But, if you want to do it anyway, you can create each page as you want it within the templates "as is", print it as a PDF page, then open a (second) blank document in Pages and drop each PDF page onto a blank page. Size that PDF image to your printable area and that will do the trick.

3. malachiman macrumors regular

Load up the template you want

Go up to FILE - PAGE SETUP, choose the right page size.

Odd your having this trouble, I have no trouble with the templates fitting A4 standard size.

Its well worth the invested time to learn how templates work, and then build your own (even modifications of the stock ones) I only just looked into it a few months ago and wish I had years ago.