Newbie Question : Macbook Air to Monitor ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by drsox, Oct 22, 2011.

1. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Excuse this question, but how do I connect a Macbook Air to a non-Thunderbird equipped monitor ?
    AFAIK the current Macbook Airs only have 2x USB and 1x Thunderbird ports. Are there USB-DVI or USB-HDMI connectors ?
    Yes, I could buy a Thunderbird display, but not right now.

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is ThunderBOLT :)
    And yes, there are Thunderbolt to DVI or VGA adapters available

3. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Duh.
    Thanks.

I found some more references to connectors and the existing DVI etc seem to fit as is into the Tbolt socket. It was hard to find the info though.

I can't find specific references to Tbolt to DVI etc connectors. Where are these ? Are these the same items ?

Thanks again, I'll definitely go with an Air, I was looking at the Samsung 9 but the reports of poor reliability and WiFi put me off.

+1 for Mac.

4. Kendo macrumors 68000

What you are looking for is MiniDisplay Port to DVI adapters since mDP is compatible with TB. I don't think there is a true TB to DVI adapter.

5. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Thanks. I see them on the Store page.
    You know, I did wonder why they were listed as options on the MBA buy page !
    Nowhere did it say specifically that they were OK for use with the MBA.

This is a genuine case of the unknown unknowns being a problem !

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

I noticed you were possibly buying a TB display, just not now. Check out this link below where it talks about being the ultimate docking station which shows the true power of TB.

http://www.apple.com/displays/

And also my explanation on why TB is so cool.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12989896&postcount=7

7. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

same way you would with a Mac with a mini display port, hence my setup is this:

Awesome 24" LG monitor
    Awesome Macbook Air
    Crap Speakers :D

Attached Files:

8. summitRun macrumors regular

I have noticed a lot of people here use cables from monoprice...at about a quater the price from main stream retail.

9. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'll throw in another vote for monoprice - I've bought miniDP adapters from them in the past, and they're all still working brilliantly. Same functionality, a fraction of the price; can't beat it :)

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

Another vote for me as well. I purchased a mDP to DVI adapter for under $10. That same adapter would cost $30 at the Apple Store.

11. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Thanks for all your suggestions. As I'm not in the US, I had to find an alternative version, but I did on eBay UK. I found it for £ 5.

I can see the benefits of the TB display as a "dock" and I'll get one as soon as funds permit. I was going to get the Samsung equivalent ( see : http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...agetype=prd_detail&subsubtype=central-station ) to work with the Samsung series 9. The TB display is better.

At the end of the month I'll be getting the MBA - 13in with 4GB memory. The 128GB drive will be enough storage as I have a 9TB RAID NAS on the end of a CAT6 LAN that I already use as a mapped drive.

What fun awaits !

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

13. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

I didn't say it was as good, I said it was the Samsung equivalent - dock - which it is. TBD has a better NIC (GB) as well as better resolution, but the Samsung does Wireless WakeUp.

Incidentally, for my application 1920x1080 is good enough.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

You call some sort of USB dock with a USB to Ethernet dongle the equivalent ? :confused:

Sure it is. But on a 27" monitor it's horrible. 1920x1080 is good on a 21" monitor maximum. The PPI on the 27" would be horrendously low, ie, around 81 PPI.

The CA650 at 24" would be a "better" choice, but then again, 91 PPI ain't much better.

All monitors have USB hubs nowadays, get a 21" 1920x1080 monitor with a USB hub and hang a USB to Ethernet dongle from one of the ports. You'll be better off with crisper images (higher resolution in the form of higher PPI).

Just my suggestion. My eyes were bleeding when I had the Apple LED ACD 24" for 2 weeks, that low PPI was again quite horrible.