Newbie to PlayStation ... PS3 Questions (40GB Right for Me?)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by hotwire132002, Nov 15, 2007.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Personally, I've always been a Nintendo person... but recently, I started looking at a PS3, as I'm an A/V Geek and it seems that the PS3 is a better deal than a Blu-Ray player. So, the main reason I'm buying is Blu-Ray, and the games are a nice plus.

From what I've read, though, it looks like the 60GB is the only model that offers "true" PS2/PS1 compatibility -- another must for me, since I've missed out on a ton of the great older games. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and it looks like I missed the boat on getting my hands on one.

Now, my options are either a 40GB with ZERO backward compatibility, or an 80GB with software compatibility (which, I've heard, is glitchy).

So, I started thinking... I can get a 40GB PS3 as well as a PS2 for about $30 more than the 80GB. That would give me my Blu Ray, PS3 games, and full PS2/1 compatilbility. I'm thinking I'll go this route... the big question I have is, is there any glaring problem with this concept I'm missing? (Most importantly, am I missing any "crucial" features from the 80GB, other than the loss of disk space?)

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this concept. Thanks in advance!

2. spawn135 macrumors newbie

Check as many stores as possible for the 60GB version. I got mine in a video rental store just last month. Check stores that DON'T normally sell techs because they will definitely be sold out of the 60GB. Check smaller stores.

If no 60GB, I'd get the 80GB version and check the PS2/PS1 compatibility list:
    http://www.ps3comp.com/view.asp

It doesn't make sense to have an actual PS2. It takes up space.

Just my 2 cents.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Doesn't the 80gb have the media card readers & extra couple of usb ports.

Is there no chance of getting a 60gb off ebay or have they all gone now ?

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Costco seems to ONLY have the 60gb, I was really hoping they would have some slightly discounted (but then jammed with extra junk) 80gb...

5. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Well, I looked around all evening, and managed to find a 60GB PS3 at an applicance store! =D Thanks for the suggestion; the obscure store idea worked out well!

It's (for the most part) my first experience with a PlayStation of any form... loving it!

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Cool. I'll be getting a PS3 for Brutal Legend this coming year, so I hope the price will drop some more by that time. :)

<]=)

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

:D good luck.... maybe. I'm getting one for Uncharted and RnC. (and more...)

8. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I have my fingers crossed. I could always buy a PS3, play the game, return the system, then give the game to one of the two peeps I know with PS3s. :)

<]=)

9. erkanasu macrumors 6502

get a ps3 at the sony store for $300 (40 GB with new credit card)..buy COD4 and have a blast!

-what ive been doing the last 3 days...

i like me ps3 a lot more than more old xbox360, better built and sexier

10. spawn135 macrumors newbie

OH YAY! Congratulations! You can now pick up all the PS2 games (used games are sooo cheap). I binged and bought ten PS2 games in less than 3 weeks. So cheap and work perfectly with my 60GB.

11. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah, agreed. I only got out of college in 2006 and now have money to buy games, so there are tons of PS2 games I've missed out on and look sweet upscaled on my 60GB (though of course nowhere near as nice as current gen games, heh).

Congrats on the purchase also!

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I still see a few 60GB units at two Best Buys near me. Since they are the same price as the 80GB units (with also includes Motorstorm) nobody seems to want to buy them.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

enjoy your purchase :) it's not nearly as bad as certain board members will lead you to believe. Be sure to do some mega demo downloads to see what tickles your fancy (ie. uncharted :D:D)

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I recommend you download Everyday shooter and get a copy of warhawk right away....these games aregreat fun for hours on end.

Enjoy your PS3 and don't allow people to sway your decision.

Bless

15. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks for the suggestions =)

I ended up buying Ratchet & Clank with the system, and that's kept me occupied... between that and Super Mario Galaxy on my Wii, I've got a fun weekend ahead ;-)

16. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I have been wanting to try RnC... Galaxy is great!

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You have a very long weekend on your hands....both of those games pack on hours and hours of fun....come up for breath every now and again.

Also if you want to customize the XMB you can try PS3themes.com

Bless