newbie (which Mac to buy)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tom Thomson, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Tom Thomson macrumors newbie

I am up to here with microsoft and have decided to change to Apple. I'd be delighted to ask a specific question but I don't know enough to do that. Point me in the right direction. All I need is typing letters, e-mail and surf - no art, games, videos or music.
    Thanx
    tommyt

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Are you looking for a specific computer recommendation? But, you might want to take a look at this and this :)

3. anon.ymous macrumors member

You have a monitor you like? Or a HDTV in your living room that you'd like to double as a computer? Mac mini. Absolutely. That's going to be my next mac purchase.

Want portability? Macbook!

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I agree with previous post, I would just go with the basic MacBook or Mac Mini, they both will do anything you need them to.

5. feflower macrumors regular

Yes, I agree.

Macbook for portability or go with Macmini if you suspect you will do most of your work in one place. They are good for your needs and inexpensive solutions for your Microsoft defection.

Want to spend a little more? Macbook Pro or iMac.

Want something really light? Mac Air--but a chance a new model will be arriving this fall.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

For very light use like you've said a MacBook or Mac Mini would do well.

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Desktop: one of the new i3 iMacs will give you a few years good service. Just pick the screen size you want. I would not go w/ the mini. It's a sucker trap as a regular computer. C2D is on the way out and Apple routinely designs software for its fastest machines, not slowest. It doesn't have "staying power" and went coupled w/ a monitor, keyboard, mouse cost just as much as a low end i3 iMac.

Laptop: 15" i5 MacBook Pro. Pro is more than you need, but the MacBooks still have the C2D chips, which are fine for today, but likely to be inadequate sooner than you'd like as software is written for faster machines.

Of course if you are a serial upgrader and never keep a machine more than a year or so then a MB or mini is fine. Those computers are great, but do not offer best "bang for the buck" due to the long-in-the-tooth position of the C2D chip.

Another alternative if you are really a light user is an iPad.

8. willieva macrumors 6502

Consider getting an ipad. For what you want to use it for, an ipad and keyboard could do it much cheaper.