Newcastle, UK - Eldon Square or Metrocentre

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Red Bull, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Red Bull macrumors member

Red Bull

Thought I'd start a thread for the prospective iPhone 4S buyers in the North East :)

Nobody fancy popping along to either of the Newcastle Apple stores next Friday for the 4S? I'm debating having a walk down to the Eldon Square store seeing as I'm on a training course in Newcastle all next week anyway.

2. phalseHUD, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

These are the closest stores to Brampton so I'll be there. They are both inside shopping malls though so need to find out what time they open. The stores open at 9 ordinarily I think, and 10 at the Metrocentre.

EDIT: Launch is at 8am in UK. Can't imagine anyone being in toon any earlier than 7 surely not!??? Anyone?

What was the last launch like? My folks were in Newcastle the last time but I had reserved one so they went later in the day when the queue had gone. Don't think they have offered reserves at the store this time round have they?

3. iWill.I.Am macrumors newbie

i'm in the same boat, going to eldon square on friday, not sure what time yet though, looking for some helpful pointers. Considering going early (3-4am ish) but not sure it will be early enough or miles too early

4. Fimcm macrumors newbie

Fimcm

Hey

I'm going to the metro centre but I haven't got a clue what time or where to que and what door to use .

5. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

I'm guessing that's miles too early. Can't imagine anyone being there at that time let alone a queue! :eek:

6am should be early enough - can't imagine there'd even be 10 people there at that time in the morning. Even 5 am at an absolute push! At the end of the day if someone wants to be the first they could go on either Wednesday or Thursday night but I have a feeling that anyone doing such a thing would probably get their heeds stoved in!

I certainly wouldnt risk it. I will be leaving Brampton at about 5 which means I should get to ES for 6am or thereabouts maybe slightly earlier... Any earlier than that is just total overkill IMO.

6. iWill.I.Am macrumors newbie

I just want to get in and get my preferred option- 16GB white 4s, a popular option I'd imagine. Never done anything like this before and have heard lots of horror stories about it, so just being overly cautious :D

7. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

I'll be going to either one of these stores, but ill be there from 4pm so i doubt there will be any phones left :( damn college.

8. Fimcm macrumors newbie

Fimcm

I rang the applestore at the metro today to see if they have any idea off were the que will be starting and which entry point. He seemed to think it will be entry through the coach park entrance at 4am and then inside quing till 8am when they go on sale. Do you think if I get there for 4.15ish I would be in with a chance, do you , your self or any of your friends have mention if there going and what's there plan

9. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Guessing you'll be on your own at that time! I will be getting there for 6 and even if I'm 50th in the queue at that time (which I really doubt), I'm still gonna get one. You have to remember that O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone, and 3 will all have stock too. There aren't enough people in the north east to run supplies dry! Last year my mates went into the O2 stores and walked out within minutes with an iPhone 4, whilst my folks queued. That was a whole new design too. There won't be queues at that time in the morning for the 4s. Don't get me wrong, it's a good update. But I think a lot of people were expecting a new design and would have probably queued earlier for it. I would.

10. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

Note that pre-orders are almost 70% higher than they were for the iPhone 4, however. Don't underestimate Apple's lure, and Steve's death will have only added to the demand for this phone, be it conscious or otherwise. i don't think you'll need to turn up at insane o'clock, but I'd expect queues in excess of those seen last year.

11. Red Bull thread starter macrumors member

Red Bull

I think the people who get there for 3-4am are wasting their time, but I do think demand will be as high as it was for the four even if that's just basing it on the number of pre-orders. You need to remember that the longer the iPhone is available through it's various models, the more people find out how good they are and how much they want one. 6am would be a decent time I reckon.

When I was there early for the iPhone 4 launch I was amazed how many people were already there when I turned up.

12. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

What time did you turn up?

13. Red Bull thread starter macrumors member

Red Bull

I was there for 7am last year. Way too early to be out shopping, but at least the nearby Starbucks bloke came around dishing out free coffees!

14. phalseHUD macrumors regular

phalseHUD

Yeah, I was gonna try and be up for 5am since it's about a 45-60 minute drive from Brampton - but thinking i might just get up at 6am and have the extra time in bed!

15. trubadman macrumors newbie

If all goes to plan, I will go to metrocentre for 4 am when red mall will be opening. I will then queue for at least 4 hours/14400 seconds and try to find a productive way to pass the time :(!!

I didn't even want to get it from the Apple Store, but tesco made me do it, no stock for a few days, imagine it happening for any other product launch

16. Red Bull thread starter macrumors member

Red Bull

I like the launches. I'm not some bit OTT Apple fan whatsoever, but its a bit of a laugh to be heading to a shopping centre in the early hours and having a chat to some others that have bothered to go there for the same reason.

I'll definitely have a walk by the Eldon Square one tomorrow. Maybe even nip in if they're serving for anything other than iPhone 4S' as I want one of those Mophie chargers.

17. DoubleU, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

DoubleU macrumors regular

Eldon Square opening at 6am

My wife phoned Eldon Square yesterday and they said the shopping centre would be opening at 6am.

18. Fimcm macrumors newbie

Fimcm

Well I been at the metro for bout 45, there a good amount of people and they just moved the que upstairs , starting to think I shoul have brought a camp chair

19. DoubleU macrumors regular

Eldon Square opened 5:30

Eldon Square opened 5:30 and there had been people queuing up outside before that. I got here 7:15 and they were out of white 16gb and 32gb and black 16gb. I think I'll get my phone (black 16gb) about 10:30.