Newegg: G.Skill 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM for $50 (ends 7/04)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gorskiegangsta, Jun 30, 2011.

1. gorskiegangsta, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Thought some of you may find this useful.
    Newegg currently has G.Skill 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (PC3-10666) kit for $50 ($69.99 - $20 off with promo code EMCKDHB24.) The offer ends on 4th of July.
    Seems like a pretty sweet deal (almost begs you to open your wallet) ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: For those who are asking if the RAM is compatible with their MBP model:
    The 2011 models ship with PC3-1600 DDR3 RAM @1333MHz, the above-mentioned kit is PC3-1666 DDR3 RAM @1333MHz. These two are basically the same, so both should work in 2011 MBPs right out of the box.

2010 MBP model owners: depending on the model, they may support either 1066 or 1333MHz DDR3 RAM. The 13" models only support 1066MHz RAM, or so I believe (someone with better knowledge of this please correct me if I'm wrong.) In any case, the 1333MHz RAM should downclock to 1066MHz if need be.

Here's a thread where people share their experiences installing 1333MHz RAM in 2010 MBP models.

2. CFoss, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

CFoss macrumors 6502

3. gorskiegangsta thread starter macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Do they not??

4. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

5. Redsand187 macrumors member

WTF, I just bought this kit on monday from newegg... FML

6. soco macrumors 68030

soco

7. sh0ebox macrumors member

Call them and tell them and they will do a price adjustment and refund you the difference

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The ram listed is for the 2011 MBP line?
    What about current imac?

9. s1nfoxgl macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for this. I was about to order off Amazon, a Corsair Brand which had good reviews as well but this offer was a steal. Plus, I've had good experiences with G.Skill so its all good. I ordered this and the Booq Vyper M3 in advance until I get paid today before I order my high-end BTO MBP 15in. Can't wait to get everything! Sad thing is I'm deployed so I'd probably have to wait 2-3 weeks for my family to ship everything to me.

Also, I'm converting from Windows to Mac due to the fact I can't stand Windows anymore and I've always liked Mac but couldn't afford it. So excited, I can't wait to get my package! I sold my Asus G73JH to another deployed buddy of mine for $100 less of what I bought it for! Woot!

Thanks again for the heads up OP!

10. MJNBGA macrumors regular

If only they would ship to ****ing New Zealand - nobody ships to us!:D

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wait, New Zealand is a place? :D

Does anyone have any idea if this will work on my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro. The current RAM is PC3-8500 (1066) <-- something along those lines.

Ideas?

12. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Seems like the perfect fit for my 13". Would I have to upgrade anything else to be able to put these in on my 4GB? Or is there anything else I should be concerned about if I were to add these in?

13. smitha96 macrumors regular

Will this work in my new 17" macbook pro that I got new last fall? How would I know?

14. gorskiegangsta thread starter macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Yes and yes.

15. gorskiegangsta thread starter macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I was not aware they do that. :O

16. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I bit, for 50$, who wouldn't. It will go nicely in my iMac.

17. smitha96 macrumors regular

Will this work in my new 17" macbook pro that I got new last fall? How would I know?

18. gorskiegangsta thread starter macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

It should.

19. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

For the 2010 and older machines there is a gskill pc8500 set for 5$ more on newegg

20. Vook macrumors member

Vook

21. Kuray macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Just ordered.

I wish I can take it 5th of July.

Now need DataDoubler and SSD

22. DeChrii macrumors member

Someone above said they work on the current imacs, but do they also work for the late 2009 27" imacs? (not sure if all the imacs have the same types of ram)

edit: nvm figured out they had different pc3.

23. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Isane price, I would upgrade my '11 13". if only they would ship overseas :(

24. drstk macrumors newbie

25. smitha96 macrumors regular

Feedback on NewEgg regarding 2010 and older models

For those curious, I have republished the comments on the newegg site regarding this RAMs performance on models manufactured prior to 2011. It seems to work on all 2010 macbook pros except the 13" which is hit and miss, at best.

==============================================
    Pros: Cheap and works perfectly in my 2010 MacBook Pro. i7-620M, 8GB of RAM and a SSD, my MBP really flies now.

Cons: None - worked in my Mac, no memory errors present.

Other Thoughts: G. Skill has improved quite a bit from where they started.

Pros: I bought it to upgrade my Macbook Pro early 2009 model, on which I had 4GB ram only. I just put these on and restarted MBP and the first boot took few minutes longer. But once started, all programs, including Win XP on VMWare Fusion worked very fast.

Cons: If I find any, I will update the review

Other Thoughts: Originally I bought it for $69.99 from Newegg. After 3 days, I found a coupon, which reduces the price to 49.99. I called Newegg customer service and they promptly credited $20 to my credit card. Thanks for good customer service.

Pros: Was cheap, no rebates needed

Cons: Causes frequent kernel panics and force closed applications on my Macbook Pro 15" Unibody (Late 2008).

Other Thoughts: Have all the latest Boot ROM and OS updates. Have no such issues with the standard Samsung OEM 2GB sticks.

Works great in Sep 2009 Macbook Pro
    Pros: Increased my geekbench score by 250 points -- nice! Great price, fast RAM, great for VM's.

Cons: I could literally go to China or Taiwan or wherever this RAM is manufactured and back 15 times and still make it back before super saver shipping arrives.

Work Prefect test on iMac 2010 & Macbook prock 2008
    Pros: Working Perfect. Great Upgrade, I currently have on 4g on my macbook pro and other on imac, and dosen't have any issues.

Cons: NA

Other Thoughts: Thank to newegg for great promotion on Mram.

Works Fine in MBP MC371LL/A
    Pros: Cheap. This RAM is 1333, and the MC371LL/A version of the MacBook Pro only uses 1066, so it downclocks itself. Still works fine when downclocked with no issues. Parallels has never run so nice and smooth when it gets 4GB to play with.

Cons: None

Pros: I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) w/ Core i7 and this memory has been working without issue.

Cons: None thus far.

Pros: Works perfectly in my 2009 13" MacBook Pro.

Cons: None

Pros: Great price for an 8gb kit of DDR3
    1333mhz, not 1066mhz

Cons: Does not work in macbooks... I put this in my late 2009 white macbook, and because it doesn't automatically clock down to 1066mhz, it becomes unstable and the computer constantly crashes. Fast RMA service though, so no worries.

not working on macbookpro '13
    Pros: i was looking at some comments that it worked on macbook pro's 13' 2010 before i made the purshase, but i guess they dont work on macbook pro '13

Cons: i got them today, installed, and the macbook stopped working at the apple logo screen at the beginning, and the round thing just stopped, so i decided to look for more old comments, and i saw some macs do work, and some don't

Other Thoughts: I noticed that it works if you mix one of the original with one of this one, but not with both of this ones. i guess NOT for mac book pro..

Works on Macbook Pro 2010
    Pros: Works perfect on a Macbook Pro mid-2010 model.

Cons: None.

Other Thoughts: OSX takes it as DDR3 1066 instead of DDR3 1333, which is normal, it simply adjusts it what it needs. In this case the Macbook pros run on 1066, so the adjustment is absolutely normal.

Don't waste your money on buying the special Apple model like G.skill suggests.

Macbook Pro 2010
    Pros: Easy install, works as advertised. Overall quality product (as with most other products I've purchased from G.Skill)

Cons: System sees it as 1066, but that's my MacBook's problem, not this memory module's fault.

Other Thoughts: G.Skill has been impressing me with reasonably priced, quality products.

13in MacBook Pro
    Pros: Will work with one stick of slower memory with one of these.

Cons: Does not work on a mid-2010 13in MacBook Pro.

Other Thoughts: I have a 13in MacBook Pro from mid-2010 (Core 2 Duo). The maximum memory speed for this machine is 1067MHz, so this faster memory should work. However, it seems that it tries to clock this memory at 1333MHz, which means it is unstable and freezes on startup. Booting with one old + one new works as it clocks both at the slower speed. However, this eliminates dual-channel mode and leaves one stick collecting dust.

My first thought was I got a bad pair, so I RMAed them. Now I finally figured out what the real problem was, but I missed the return window. G.Skill's response was:

Not for MacBook Pro 2010 models
    Pros: Reasonable price, simple package, runs great for most systems

Cons: Not good for high performance purpose on MacBook Pro systems.

Other Thoughts: I have MacBook Pro 17" i5 and installed these memory modules. It was stable and fast for one week until I used Adobe Flash and Illustrator. It crashed while I was making a minute-long flash movie and it kept crashing more than three times a day. After I put OEM modules back, it worked flawlessly. If you need big memory size for low budget to run parallels or VMWare but do not require serious jobs on your MacBook Pro, get these modules. Otherwise, go for other modules using Hynix memory chips.

Pros: I installed these on my late summer 09 Macbook Pro 13.3 Notebook. Had no problems and was able to dual boot with no lag. Computer is super smooth now.

Cons: none

Easy install in MacBook Pro 17 unibody
    Pros: Mac Book Pro i5 17" unibody Mid 2010 install. Recognized the 8GB. No startup problems. In general I've always been happy with G.Skill and have only had to return a bad stick once. Their stability and compatibility with various motherboards is great but these may not be the sticks for your MacBook Pro

Cons: Speed. Others have had the mac EFI (like the bios for Wintel machines) clock these at their rated 1333 MHz but mine are stuck at 1067 MHz.

Other Thoughts: I don't know if it is the memory or the mac EFI which is causing the speed problem. For you Mac geeks out there, the EFI boot version is 61.00057.BOC and the SMC is, 1.57f17. If you were expecting a bit more MHz you might not get it. If you are looking for a speed upgrade to your MBP I'd spend the $200+ on a SSD drive. It really makes it scream. Do the memory upgrade secondly. Hopefully someone who knows more can help with the 1066 MHz vs. 1333 MHz speed situation. Happy upgrading and smile about how much your saving by doing it yourself.

Manufacturer Response:
    Dear Customer

According to Apple, they only support DDR3-1066, which is why we discountinued our DDR3-1333 memory for Apple. You can search online to see if anyone is able to configure the EFI to support DDR3-1333, but otherwise, Apple computers will only read up to DDR3-1066. If you have any further questions or issues, please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT