Newer 13" MBP worth it or is 'last years' good enough?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbachandouris, Apr 27, 2010.

1. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I know the specs, but I don't know if they make a difference in 'real world' experience.

new-10 hrs battery life, old-7 hours. Real world experiences?

new-4GB, old 2GB DDR3 memory. I have heard most MBP run just fine on 2GB.

new-250GB HD, old 160GB (between my wife and I, we share a Windows Vista laptop and use 111GB combined, so the smaller drive may be enough).

new 2.4GHz, old 2.26GHz (I have already read that this makes little difference)

new 330M graphics, old 9400M (48 processes instead of 19?)

screen- I have read that the 'new' screen is much better than the old.

price-new $1199-$100 discount=$1099, old-refurb from Apple $929

bottom line-is the new one $170 better? I'm a PC guy considering the switch.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would say it is, mainly due the RAM. 4GB of DDR3 is ~100$ so it's only 70$ cheaper after that let alone better battery and GPU

3. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

I'd get the new. To bump the HD and RAM in the old to match the new is pretty comparable to the extra $170, and you're getting some new features on top of that.

You don't want to run Snow Leopard with just 2GB of RAM unless you plan on running one application at a time -- that's such a joke. Also remember that the integrated graphics reserves 256MB of system RAM, so you're left with 1.75GB vs. 3.75GB.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SL runs fine on 2GB. MY sis' MacBook has 2GB and it runs everything just fine, no matter how many apps are open. I'll upgrade it to 4GB when it comes down in price

5. brendu macrumors 68020

+1 (exact same situation here)

the new one is worth it.. as others have said the upgraded hdd and ram alone are worth it.. plus a better processor... and longer lasting battery, which always comes in handy.

6. KadMac macrumors regular

KadMac

I was actually just going through what you described up above a week ago when I was determining which one I should get. I went with the newest and I have no regrets. I like to game occasionally and the 320M has been very impressive in my eyes. I have been playing Batman Arkham Asylum with 42 FPS. Editing movies has also been a blast with it. Plus, there is just something exciting about opening a fresh new box that isn't refurbished.

The extra ram and video card was the clincher for me. I hope this helps! Good luck in making your decision.

7. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Not sure what your sister does with her Macbook, but I personally feel 1.75GB does not run SL "just fine" for what I do and expect from my notebook in terms of performance.

To each his own I suppose.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, she uses all normal apps like Safari, Adium, iPhoto, Photoshop, iWork....

Sure the 4GB is worth it but 2GB is fine unless you run many RAM intensive apps. It runs SL fine, not all apps so your post is misleading.

9. citizenal macrumors regular

I think it's a good upgrade. Bigger hd, more ram, better gpu, and a longer lasting battery life. To me, just for the convenience of not having to upgrade later and try to sell my old parts off is worth it.

10. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

What about the display? Is it better than before or basically the same?

I am still amazed how MBPs make 1280 X 800 look so good! Most PC laptops claim higher resolution and don't look half as good!

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Shouldn't be any difference. Aluminum MacBook had terrible screen but when it was updated to "Pro" in last June, it got a better one and I think they use the same now

12. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Don't forget the audio over mini DisplayPort. This makes a big difference if you ever decide you want to hook it up to your TV to show off some movies or something. It was the single biggest feature I was hoping for with the refresh.

13. jbachandouris thread starter macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Yes, I do know about this feature. I have done my homework.

14. breathesrain macrumors regular

Yay!

I've already ordered mine :)

15. MTD's Mac macrumors regular

MTD's Mac

My upgrade to the current 2.4 GHz 13" MBP was from the earlier 2.53 GHz model. I'm glad I made the minor switch. Battery life is definitely improved. Scrolling with momentum on the trackpad is, surprisingly, a big improvement. And it will be nice to have audio over the mini display port if I ever plug in to a TV.

16. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I know a few people who run SL with 2GB and it seems fine to me - there's not a lot of difference under what most people would call normal usage. I'd rather get an SSD (if possible) than more RAM at this point (unless you have a ridiculously low amount of the stuff) although the cost differences are usually too great.