Newer model via out of warranty repair?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by koolzero, Jun 7, 2018.

1. koolzero macrumors regular

About a week ago my Gen1 SS 42mm stopped responding to swipes. I have to press really hard if I want it to respond. I took it to an apple store but they told me basically what I was expecting and that since it was out of warranty I would need to send it in and it would most likely be the $229 fee to have it repaired.

I told the apple store employee I had heard of people getting newer watches back but he told me not to bet on it and that he advised I put that money towards a newer model.

I told him I didn't want to send it in at the time because it would be about 2 weeks to get it back and also since I was able to tell time with it I didn't want to part with it but now I'm debating whether or not to send it in to see about it being replaced with a newer model.

What has the experiences been with getting a newer model due to out of warranty repairs? Is it wise not to try to bet on getting something newer this way?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Obviously everyone’s experience might very differently, but I don’t believe Apple will issue a first generation Apple Watch anymore. T likely will be a minimum a Series 2 in stainless. But as the Apple representative stated, there is no guarantee to that, but being that the first generation Apple Watch is discontinued, I think most to have reported in these threads have had positive experiences receiving a newer model from the older model that they did have.

3. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

Quick question. Did you turn it off and restart the watch. That usually cures all my problems with my series 0.

4. koolzero thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I've rebooted it several times. I also unpaired it and repaired it and it still is having the issue.

5. koolzero, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018

koolzero thread starter macrumors regular

So I did a chat with Apple to start the process of getting a box sent out to me and they had me unpair it so I did it again. After we did that we wanted to run diagnostics so I set it back up as a new device. I was curious if this may help. It seemed somewhat responsive but then I started noticing screen flicker now it’s gone from bad to worse the screen won’t even come on.

Here is a little animated gif I made with workflow. This was shortly after repairing it. It’s low quality unfortunately
    https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0o2UgMH_Pl5rUOucW0hBckaCw#IMG_4008

The screen turned a pink tint. I’ve never seen the Apple logo look pink like this before. Not long after this it shut off and won’t come back on.
    https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0H3cMJUwNLcIH8GSnqOj9qCWA#IMG_4005

6. koolzero thread starter macrumors regular

i left it on the charger for several hours and it came back to life. No flickering or blank screen but swiping issues are still there. I just am having a hard time justifying $279 to fix an old dated model, my wife thinks it's better i wait and put the money towards a new model instead of hoping they replace this one with something newer.

7. mk313 macrumors 6502a

I agree with your wife.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

my wife's first gen 38mm SS AW back came off while on the charger last month. we have AC+ and it was an easy swap, free of charge per apple being the back came off on its own. two days later, she got a brand new, white box first gen AW. it would have been nice had it been a series 2 bump at least but we weren't lucky.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

to be clear about something, IF they did replace it with something newer it would be the Series 1 that was released when the Series 2 came out. thats all. they wouldn't go any higher in upgrading you. so you'd be getting basically the same watch you have with a slightly faster processor.

which is probably why the genius suggested you not bother.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2018 ---
    they would never bump you to a series 2 or 3. not unless the series 1 was gone and you were in that 5-7 year period for the 3 areas were they have have to still service the watch. by which time the apple watch 5-6 if not higher would be out so the series 2 or 3 would be the 'lame' watch

and you would way out of apple care plus their 'quality programs' tend to be 4 years from purchase max so no go on those
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2018 ---
    if they don't then you get a series 1 not a 2 or 3. because the series 1 is still for sale so they have service parts being made for it.

10. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

they didn't make the series 1 in stainless steel which is why i said series 2. I've seen a few topics on original apple watch owners get a series 2 replacement.

11. BriceApp macrumors member

BriceApp

My SBSS series 0 had poor battery life last November a couple months before my AppleCare+ was to run out and they replaced it with a SBSS series 2. I was happy, surprised, and lucky.

12. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

Good point.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2018 ---
    Voila!

13. err404 macrumors 68020

OP FYI my Gen 0 watch screen became very unresponsive 4 days ago. This morning the screen fell off and I can see that the battery is swollen. In theory if your battery is also swollen, your warranty would be 3 yrs.

14. jekim macrumors regular

I was hoping for a series 1 replacement for my sons OG sport 42MM but the white box came today and it’s a OG replacement :(

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I find this baffling. Because Apple stopped issuing first generation Apple Watches (Unofficially) quite sometime ago. Apple has been issuing Series 1/Series 2 Apple Watches in replacement to almost every member I have read on here that experienced a defective First Gen watch and I think yours is the first case where you’re saying it’s a first generation Apple Watch they issued you. Not that You’re wring, but are you sure it’s a first GEN watch? Because the first generation Apple Watch will no longer be supported starting in September for WatchOS 5.

16. err404 macrumors 68020

Last week I also received my replacement watch and it was a first gen replacement. Yes, I am sure it is first gen. I’m fine with it, because there is no reason that I should feel entitled to a free upgrade.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Don’t think anyone insinuated someone should feel that they should be ‘entitled’ to be upgraded to a newer Apple Watch model, the point Was; Apple has been issuing Series 1/Series 2 Apple Watches for quite some time and it’s extremely rare that are even issuing first GEN watches anymore, which is indicative that they must be lacking stock of the Series 1 replacements due to the swelling of the battery concerns from the first GEN watch allegedly.

18. jekim macrumors regular

Agreed. I didn’t feel entitled I was hoping. The back of the replacement says series 7000 and not series one.