Newer Motherboards

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
I would like to know if it's possible to change my mother board to that of the ones coming out during summer ie ones with ddr ram, faster bus etc...I have a Dual Ghz right now. And any assumptions on how much a mother board like that will cost? Is it reallly worth it? Thanx

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Hey

I don't think you can, this is because you can't (as far as I know) buy the motherboards. I suppose technically you could but it almost certainly break the warranty etc...

Ensign

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Even most sites that sell motherboards (mostly old ones) only accept trade-ins. I'm afraid that Apple's HW is one package until they get so old that people part 'em out for more $. It's still incredibly hard to find parts-- you have to be very resourceful.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
i think a student here said that he was able to get motherboards, processors, and all those pieces separatly...dunno who though

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I don't think it would be worth it, personally. The mobo may be redesigned because of the rumored new tower design anyway, so it wouldn't fit without some modding. It seems like it would be more of a hassle than its worth.