Newly released bin Laden video calls for martyrdom

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jul 14, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

cnn

Yes, put aside your worldly possessions and needs and blow yourself up for your religion...hmmm

When will someone from the muslim community speak out against bin Laden?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Perhaps when someone from the christian community speaks out against these morons, or these morons or this moron

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Here's some links from the first page of a google search containing 'muslims', 'condemn', and 'bin laden' - not the trickiest of search words. It befuddles me why you are ignorant to all these muslims speaking out?

here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here
    and
    here

I could keep going into subsequent search pages but I'm going to have a wild guess your question was slanderous rather than one of interest.

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Yes, we all know bin Laden is a crazy ***hole. But why on earth would you think no Muslim would dare speak out against him? :confused:

5. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

thanks. that must have taken you an awful long time. nice work, chap. ;)

Now link me to someone that islamists WILL LISTEN TO!

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uhm, like who, for example? If by someone, you mean a leader, good luck. It's not like Catholicism where they have a central head of the religion.

Or if you just mean anyone the terrorists will listen to, good luck with that. They're TERRORISTS. They won't listen to anyone. If fighting terrorism was as simple as someone saying "killing people is bad" don't you think we would have won the war on terror a long time ago?

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Then why did you bother posting your bigoted, hateful, pathetic, hypocritical rot if it was so quickly debunked?

I'm going to guess that you didn't even read those links. You just clicked a few and closed them because you don't want to challenge your preconceptions. If you'll read them you'll find that the majority are from muslim religious leaders, political leaders, and muslim communities from most western countries. And that's only a few links. But I see you've shifted your goalposts from 'muslim community' to 'islamists' now....

8. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If that was true I wouldn't post here.

Well I'm glad you and I can read them, but does it filter to the people that matter? Do you really think there is huge amount of dissent among potential terrorists? With all those links you'd think someone would try a grander scale because not all would be terrorists have a Powerbook and Google.

I've been two mosques -which isn't many- on two separate fridays and both times they were calling for the end of the jews. I didn't have to look very far to find this, and this is Egypt, in my mind a pretty secular country. How many mosques have you been to? Did you find them on Google?

Why would islamists speak out against themselves? That would be like you speaking out against pinko commies. :D ;)

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You're asking for the insane now. Terrorists by their very definition have already come to the conclusion that the only way they can make their voices heard is through terrorism. They've given up on formal routes of communication that's why they carry out terrorist acts. By your reasoning there would be no more suicides if only an emo spokesperson got up and told them not to.

As loathed as I am to respond to an internet anecdote I'm really not surprised. Insane crap gets spewed in mosques and churches of all religions - that's what you get when you buy into the dogma. Although that's cerainly no excuse for it. I'm going to guess that you left out some specifics on where and who and why these jews needed wiping out, and that it wasn't every one of them worldwide. It wasn't jews in a specific holy locale for instance was it?

FYI I'm currently researching a paper on the barriers muslim women face presenting to western health care and have been to quite a few mosques in Australia. And yes I did find them and make contact through google. And surprisingly they weren't calling for death to the jews or exalting osama's insane ramblings. What they rallied against was the way they had been presented in the media and how current community attitudes towards them have changed for the worse. Many of them were however extremely pissed off with attitudes like those you presented in the OP. Overall I found them to be very nice, quiet, and polite people who were grateful to be given the chance for some input into decisions that might affect them. If only they weren't religious.

I still don't understand what you're after. You initially claim that the muslim community doesn't speak out against terrorism. That's easily demonstrable as a complete lie. Then you shift your goal posts by changing 'muslim community' to someone that 'islamists' will listen to, when this is obviously a completely impossible proposition.

See if you can condense the point you are trying to make by this thread into a single sentence.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

Nice. So you went to two mosques on Friday and you have arrived at the conclusion that most Muslims at least condone or sympathize with terrorism and terrorists? Is that right?

This seems to tie in nicely with your silly ideas about statistics.

Why don't you go back to Egypt and ask the people at that mosque you went to. I'm sure you'll find all the answers you'll ever need there.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The real story here is that Bin Laden is still out there. That thanks to Bush's mistakes, he and his organization are stronger than even. Dems should be out there repeating this over and over again in the media. But they won't. Instead the neocons will use this to scare people into continuing to support them even though they're the ones dropping the ball on this.

Waiting for someone to claim it's Clinton's fault because he didn't get him when he was Pres. :rolleyes:

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ahh martyrdom ... a concept unknown to christianity ;)

13. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Trust this particular person to start a thread of this nature! :rolleyes:

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

It's hard not to notice all the NEW buzz about Al Qaida just as Congress
    is debating on whether or not they will continue to fund the war.

I'm calling diversionary tactics used to take the focus off calls for impeachment.

They will not stop broadcasting the same twisted lie that Al Qaida and Iraq
    are one in the same, that this whole freeking nightmare is all based on a
    perpertual enemy.

IF..... Bin Laden is even alive at all, we have to assume that he only
    serves as inspiration to those who see him as a success for outsmarting
    every civilian and military intelligence and special ops team in the world.

Give me a freeking break!

Bin Laden has accomplished everything the neo-cons had hoped he would.

Decades of military-industrial waste, fraud and abuse.

15. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well the point is that I didn't need to travel very far to find it. And with all those links posted one would think that notion of condemning violence would be easy to find. daa

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Just how close is Egypt geographically to Newport Beach, CA then?

17. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Its relative. I didn't have to travel far from my buddy's place in Cairo.

Anyway, its seemed like I've offended many of you with this thread, which wasn't the intention, so apologies all around. The point was that I think those with power should do more to express their 'dislike' of those who have hijacked the islamic religion. Rhetoric doesn't always cut it. Like a major event that promotes peace.

oh and...

qft.

18. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

same to you!

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I still don't get that. Bush has failed to get Bin Laden. More than likely because of Iraq. Which is making things more dangerous. How can they think this is a win for them? And how can people still be falling for it?

20. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Why did people send in their money to 700 club, beats me?

I just have a gut feeling they're up to something really underhanded.

21. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Big difference between being forceably fed to lions and strapping on a bomb and killing innocent people.

Bin Laden and others call them martyrs, but they are more correctly described as suicide bombers. No martyrdom involved.

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why do we even care about this? It's recycled.

23. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

apparently there is a new 50 second message from bin Laden. his producer must have used old b-roll in the edit bay.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Hmm...I got the impression that even the 50s was just old material. Using material from way-back is just lazy. The man should at least come up with something new - hopefully something catchy.

25. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

lol, yeah his biggest fans are tired of his greatest hits album.