[News] Nintendo's Used Game Policy: Make Games People Won't Sell

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Jun 19, 2013.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Makes sense. Not a lot of used Nintendo games around here. I asked at one store, "Why?" The guy's answer was is that "People are keeping them...". Well, not the "shovelware" - obviously... ;)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/18/nintendos-used-game-policy-make-games-people-wont-sell

I had a b**** of a time finding a used copy of Super Mario Wii reasonably priced. It is still $50 in retail and if you can find one, it's usually around $40. I managed to find one at an independent used CD/Movie/Game store for $23 (and was totally complete will all paperwork - important for Nintendo collectors :D ).

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nintendo are just trying to ride the bad will gravy train.

Sadly they need to not boast about games people want to keep and actually release a game for the wii u that people want to buy.

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Makes sense to me. I picked up New Mario Wii just last year, and I think it was released in 2009? Anywho - it was £40 second hand and £45 new in stores like GAME, and a similar gap (but lower price) elsewhere online. Mario games really hold their value, and to a lesser degree Zelda.

Nothing like the secondhand £5 Call of Duties: Black Ops 2!

5. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I like Iwata's leadership. Even though consoles are evolving into set top box hybrids, games still sell hardware in the industry and Iwata seems to strategize by maintaining and leveraging the value of Nintendo IP

Other CEO's would've caved to investors already and ported their IP to smartphones, degrading its value. I'm glad he hasn't

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

7. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Yeah Wii U first party launch titles have been pitiful. But Nintendo's supposed to be ramping up and releasing one first party title a month starting with Pikmin

I'm waiting on Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World

8. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

That's usually the case for me when I get any system at launch - I only have a few games for it for at least 6 months. I don't get any systems at launch anymore - I wait a year and for a major price drop and many games I want. I only got a Wii U so quickly because I traded for it and I use the bc.

I'll be getting the next gens when they drop to $299...

9. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Just be careful. A lot of price dropped consoles have their backwards to the previous generation removed. That happened with the Wii if I remember correctly. They removed the GC support.

10. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I would hope that doesn't happen with Wii U - the main reason that functionality is stripped is because in the past it required controller ports and other expensive things to include - now it is mainly software since controllers are wireless.

But - in this case Nintendo is the only place for BC mode. GameBoy Advance managed to include BC all the way back to original GameBoy - it can play 3 generations worth of games (15 years worth of games!)

11. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Actually Nintendo will just have them on the Wii store so you download them. And they have been asked about putting GC games up there. And they seemed to like the idea. Well as much as weird little Japanese people can like something.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Whoa.