News of the World phone hacking (UK)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Ugg, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Guardian

I have just been appalled reading about this. It's mind boggling that the issue has gone on for so long yet almost nothing has been done about it. What's even more mind boggling is that the sale of BSkyB to Murdoch will give him an amazing percentage of British media.

Why isn't there more outrage about NoW and even more about Murdoch's power grab?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have not studied The Rupert ;), at all, but is all this within his grasp, given his known asset base?

Is it possible that he has silent partners?

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

The story is pretty disgusting. If the allegations turn out to be true it really is just another sad saga in the race to the bottom of tabloid journalism. Due to the internet the old media has so much pressure on it to get the story first, make it the most sensational, and sell it to the masses that their ethics are completely out the window. It can't die quick enough it's embarrassing.

Unfortunately Murdoch is too powerful though. This will be plastered on a sacrificial lamb of a journalist who will be claimed to have been working without the knowledge of management.

4. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

It went on for so long that it almost seems impossible that Rebekah Brooks didn't know about it as she claims.

1. I hope she's fired and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

2. I hope Murdoch is not able to complete his purchase of BSkyB. As you say, he's gotten too powerful.

5. scottgroovez macrumors regular

From this day forward, I'm boycotting all news corp media. Their antics are lower than low and deserve to go down the toilet. Sickening.

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The News International investigation into the News of the World's conduct in the phone-hacking affair is being conducted by CEO Rebekah Brooks. I'm sure she'll do everything she can to find out what was going on at the paper at the time, and the role played by its then editor Rebekah Wade.

Or, as Miss Wade is now known since her wedding, Rebekah Brooks. :rolleyes:

It's sickening stuff, it really is. I'm pleased to hear tonight that – as well as the public outcry – a number of big advertisers are withdrawing their ads.

7. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

That's totally logical of all the corporations on the planet news organisations are certainly the worst :rolleyes:.

However I suggest you look up these terms:

-tetraethyllead
    -chlorofluorocarbon

I could probably list hundreds more but these are two of the best known and the worst.

8. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Murdoch sickens me so much that I refuse to watch any movies from his company. Avatar will remain unwatched.

9. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

Not only has NoW hacked the phones of the royal family, MPs, movie stars, and the phone of a dead school girl, but it also might have hacked the phone of the victims of London's 7/7 subway bombing.

Guardian

Coulson was they guy who would have signed off on the deal for Murdoch to take control of BSkyB. Big black mark against Cameron.

I wonder where this is going to end? I also wonder which Labour cabinet members or MPs are going to be brought down as a result.

I continue to be totally stunned at such gross malfeasance.

10. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

News Of The World are a vile newspaper as it is, this just shines more light on the nasty tactics they use to get stories.

11. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder what nasty tactics Fox News has been using in the USA?

12. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

No idea, I've never watched/read Fox news. :rolleyes:

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

While the dirty digger is complete scum NewsCorp are not the only ones at this in the UK and indeed many other places.It includes the festering slim pool including politicians,the police,the establishment,journalists (not all there are a few truth seekers out there) in fact just about anyone who wields authority over anyone else,to paraphrase:all power corrupts,total power corrupts totally.:mad:

14. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Fight The Power ;)

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

On the news at the moment that lots of documents have turned up (I'm assuming out of Rebekka Brook's (sp?) laser printer) that say it all appears to have been the fault of Andy Coulson who resigned a while ago.

Ugh! I can't even express what I think of these people.

(Apparently the NoW switchboard is being jammed with people ringing in and shouting "C***s!" down the phone and then hanging up.)

16. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

The Guardian has a list of all the victims . It is amazing that it has gone on for so long and that NoW has not suffered at all. The only way to stop this is to jail Brooks and Coulson and stop Murdoch from taking over BSkyB.

If Cameron allows the takeover then his career is over, because I'm sure that only the tip of the iceberg of the endemic nastiness at News International has been discovered.

17. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Andrew Neil was funny at lunchtime - as he announced "Deputy heads are to roll at the News of the World".

Apparently Ms Brooks was on holiday when all this was happening (I kid you not! That's the latest excuse...)

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Fair do's to the Grauniad, I'm not one of their bigger fans but when they get their teeth into a story like this they won't let go.

19. Ugg thread starter macrumors 68000

Ugg

My first regular contact with the Guardian was after 9-11. The US media had lost all ability to be impartial and foreign media seemed to be the only source of objective reporting and the Guardian was at the top of my list. However, since that time, the Guardian has become increasingly shrill and sensationalistic. I believe a lot of that is in response to Murdoch's stranglehold on the British press.

A few months ago I saw the movie Black & White which featured a young, still Australian Rupert Murdoch. Sensationalism was all to him then as it is now. He only cares about how much he makes not the damage he does to people's lives. He along with his neo-fascist counterpart, Silvio Berlusconi are a global blight. Berlusconi will soon be gone from politics and his health isn't what it was. I hope that Murdoch's health fails soon too.

20. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Won't do any good. He has 6 children, three of whom are media executives, and one of whom (James) is likely to succeed his father.

21. remmy macrumors 6502a

I dont get why they did some of the hacking, celebrities and politicians they may get some sort of gossip, but hacking into relatives of the murdered girl or 9/11, I dont get what they were looking for?

22. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Ah. But Murdoch has sons and heirs… oh yes. Well trained, for all their quasi "green" credentials.

You have to ask WTF? Why hack into the phones of dead soldiers' families?
    What possible use could that serve?
    Murdoch bought Cameron his election victory… so for all the hissing and clucking from Labour benches probably not much is going to happen.

23. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

24. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

People are stupid. I cant believe people still buy red tops. Its common knowledge that they make up/massage/editorialise stories for their own benefit.

25. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

What else is new? It is ridiculous that people are outraged by this moral transgression, but blithely accept the subversion on our democracies by News Ltd. Governments are broken and formed on the whim of this company.

It is equally scary the culture within the company- petty ambitions that dictate the need to be published, whatever the cost to truth or morality. This company needs to be ripped apart as the evil entity and terrorist that it is, in the same fashion as the war on al Qaeda.

As an Australian and a former News Ltd employee I apologise for this monster.