[News] PS4 still best selling & Wii U sales jump!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Jun 17, 2014.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/ps4-is-best-selling-console-for-five-months-straight-in-us

Well, this explains Microsofts new strategy... :eek:

;)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's interesting that the Xbox One is suffering what the PS3 did, but for different reasons. Where Sony were innocently foolish Microsoft now (or at least last year) seem to be deliberately harming the industry. I have no doubt they have the ability to pull themselves out of this and that this is finally it for Kinect but it's not going to be an overnight change.

Will be interesting to see sales this time next year.

3. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I'll be super curious how June hardware sales are - 2 days aren't enough for Mario Kart to beat out PS4, but a month … maybe maybe maybe … Reggie hinted at E3 that June hardware sales would be a bit crazy :)

4. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

In the month of June (approx sales from May31 - present, all numbers Global)

PS4 - 463,218
    Xbox One - 214,632
    WiiU - 349,129

The Wii-U has surpassed the Xbox One and is firmly in second place at ~6million units.

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Go Nintendo! But this usually happens around the release of a first party IP.

Xbox One should jump way up when Halo is released.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

It looks like there was a little spike for MS last week (ending on the 21st), where they ended on a +25% week over, but then slid 13% (so far) this week. I'm guessing that has so do with the price drop.

So far, globally, total units sold;

PS4 - 8.0 Mill
    Wii-U - 6.3 Mill
    XBOne - 4.6 Mill

I'll be honest, I'm glad the rumors of Nintendo's demise where premature. Just wish they didn't treat third party developers like ****.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They don't! No different to any one else; all 3 are the same now.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Then why are third party developers fleeing not just the WiiU, but the 3DS as well? Granted, my only "evidence" is the chatting around the campfire by smaller devs and design artists.

But with EA, Ubisoft and others abandoning their plans for Nintendo, kinda makes some of the shop talk seem a bit more legitimate.

9. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

Mario Kart really isn't enough to boost the Wii U.

Sony sales being still on top isn't surprising for May given the pricing scenario, and I'd expect it to follow that trend for the next month minimum. We'll probably see Xbox One slowly start to even out with Sony probably in the next month or two as a result of the Kinect-less model, and stronger E3 exclusives for the holiday season.

Hard to tell though. Any boost the Wii U gets from Mario Kart will be a monthly, quarterly at the most blip.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They never really supported Nintendo in the first place, EA abandoned long ago and Ubisoft's crazy-hard support at launch was a huge overshot.
    All 3 are near identical in terms of policies, developer support, ease of production/distribution, cost. In the UK Nintendo were letting indie developers borrow systems to experiment with.

You go where the market is. Right now that's PS4 and PC but who knows what will happen. If the Wii and Wii U had comparable power to the other systems in their generation developers would certainly be releasing multiplatform games on all systems (remember how many Wii systems were out there!).

11. Lennholm macrumors 6502a

Because game developers are becoming increasingly lazy and now basically refuses to develop for anything that isn't x86 based.
    Developers used to be people who really put effort into their work, coding assembly for each different platform and optimizing the hell out of it. Coders these days are mostly kids coming straight from some high school secondary course where they learned how to import standard libraries.

I'm exaggerating of course but you get the point.

12. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The Xbox One has got the same amount of sales the Vita had after a year of release. If people say the Vita was a fail, then this Xbox is a failure too.

PS- I do not think that the Vita was a failure, therefor I do not think the Xbox is a failure.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope nope nope.

14. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

Developers go where the money is. It's always been that way and always will be.

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Tell that to all the developers in the 80's and 90's who created freeware and shareware (suggested donation) games. i.e. Creating a game for the pure fun of it or to simply improve their skills...

Sure, everyone wants to get paid in some way...gotta make a living. But some game developers care more about the art and fun of games than making any real money off them.

16. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

My comment was directed at developers who are in the business of making games and not hobbyists (or people doing it so they can improve their skills enough so they can get hired) like you are describing.

Those are the exception, not the rule. Regardless, my point was that it's not about developers being too lazy to target non-x86 platforms. It's because most developers, like every other business, target the largest markets.