[News] PS4 still best selling & Wii U sales jump!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/ps4-is-best-selling-console-for-five-months-straight-in-us

Well, this explains Microsofts new strategy... :eek:

;)

PS4 IS BEST-SELLING CONSOLE FOR FIVE MONTHS STRAIGHT IN US
Watch Dogs and Mario Kart 8 lead a big jump in game sales.
BY LUKE KARMALI

PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in North America for the month of May, which marks the fifth consecutive month it's achieved the plaudit. Sony's new console also managed to move more titles than any other platform, in a month that saw sales of both consoles and games shoot up.

The NPD Group's video game sales report for the month reveals that console sales jumped up a massive 95 percent year-on-year to $586 million, with console software sales also climbing 57 percent to $274 million.

Titles singled out for praise on the games front include Watch Dogs and Mario Kart 8, with the latter being largely responsible for Wii U sales jumping up 85 percent despite only being on sale for two days of the month. Despite this, the Wii U was edged out by Nintendo's 3DS handheld, which took second place behind Sony's PS4 in terms of the best-selling hardware of the month.

Watch Dogs was the best-selling game overall in May with worldwide sales confirmed at over 4 million, with Mario Kart 8, MLB 14, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Minecraft, Spider-Man 2, NBA 2K14, Titanfall, Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Call of Duty: Ghosts rounding out the top 10.

It's a positive sign for the industry, and suggests next-gen consoles and games may finally have reached the point where sales are enough to offset the decline of older devices. Next month's results should reveal the impact of Microsoft's decision to sell Xbox One without Kinect. Will this enable the console to reclaim the top spot on the chart? Time will tell.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's interesting that the Xbox One is suffering what the PS3 did, but for different reasons. Where Sony were innocently foolish Microsoft now (or at least last year) seem to be deliberately harming the industry. I have no doubt they have the ability to pull themselves out of this and that this is finally it for Kinect but it's not going to be an overnight change.

Will be interesting to see sales this time next year.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I'll be super curious how June hardware sales are - 2 days aren't enough for Mario Kart to beat out PS4, but a month … maybe maybe maybe … Reggie hinted at E3 that June hardware sales would be a bit crazy :)

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'll be super curious how June hardware sales are - 2 days aren't enough for Mario Kart to beat out PS4, but a month … maybe maybe maybe … Reggie hinted at E3 that June hardware sales would be a bit crazy :)
In the month of June (approx sales from May31 - present, all numbers Global)

PS4 - 463,218
Xbox One - 214,632
WiiU - 349,129

The Wii-U has surpassed the Xbox One and is firmly in second place at ~6million units.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
In the month of June (approx sales from May31 - present, all numbers Global)

PS4 - 463,218
Xbox One - 214,632
WiiU - 349,129

The Wii-U has surpassed the Xbox One and is firmly in second place at ~6million units.
Go Nintendo! But this usually happens around the release of a first party IP.

Xbox One should jump way up when Halo is released.

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Go Nintendo! But this usually happens around the release of a first party IP.

Xbox One should jump way up when Halo is released.
It looks like there was a little spike for MS last week (ending on the 21st), where they ended on a +25% week over, but then slid 13% (so far) this week. I'm guessing that has so do with the price drop.

So far, globally, total units sold;

PS4 - 8.0 Mill
Wii-U - 6.3 Mill
XBOne - 4.6 Mill

I'll be honest, I'm glad the rumors of Nintendo's demise where premature. Just wish they didn't treat third party developers like ****.

skottichan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
They don't! No different to any one else; all 3 are the same now.
Then why are third party developers fleeing not just the WiiU, but the 3DS as well? Granted, my only "evidence" is the chatting around the campfire by smaller devs and design artists.

But with EA, Ubisoft and others abandoning their plans for Nintendo, kinda makes some of the shop talk seem a bit more legitimate.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Mario Kart really isn't enough to boost the Wii U.

Sony sales being still on top isn't surprising for May given the pricing scenario, and I'd expect it to follow that trend for the next month minimum. We'll probably see Xbox One slowly start to even out with Sony probably in the next month or two as a result of the Kinect-less model, and stronger E3 exclusives for the holiday season.

Hard to tell though. Any boost the Wii U gets from Mario Kart will be a monthly, quarterly at the most blip.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Then why are third party developers fleeing not just the WiiU, but the 3DS as well? Granted, my only "evidence" is the chatting around the campfire by smaller devs and design artists.

But with EA, Ubisoft and others abandoning their plans for Nintendo, kinda makes some of the shop talk seem a bit more legitimate.
They never really supported Nintendo in the first place, EA abandoned long ago and Ubisoft's crazy-hard support at launch was a huge overshot.
All 3 are near identical in terms of policies, developer support, ease of production/distribution, cost. In the UK Nintendo were letting indie developers borrow systems to experiment with.

You go where the market is. Right now that's PS4 and PC but who knows what will happen. If the Wii and Wii U had comparable power to the other systems in their generation developers would certainly be releasing multiplatform games on all systems (remember how many Wii systems were out there!).

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010

Because game developers are becoming increasingly lazy and now basically refuses to develop for anything that isn't x86 based.
Developers used to be people who really put effort into their work, coding assembly for each different platform and optimizing the hell out of it. Coders these days are mostly kids coming straight from some high school secondary course where they learned how to import standard libraries.

I'm exaggerating of course but you get the point.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
The Xbox One has got the same amount of sales the Vita had after a year of release. If people say the Vita was a fail, then this Xbox is a failure too.

PS- I do not think that the Vita was a failure, therefor I do not think the Xbox is a failure.

Antares

macrumors 68000
Developers go where the money is. It's always been that way and always will be.
Tell that to all the developers in the 80's and 90's who created freeware and shareware (suggested donation) games. i.e. Creating a game for the pure fun of it or to simply improve their skills...

Sure, everyone wants to get paid in some way...gotta make a living. But some game developers care more about the art and fun of games than making any real money off them.

foobarbazqux

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2014
Tell that to all the developers in the 80's and 90's who created freeware and shareware (suggested donation) games. i.e. Creating a game for the pure fun of it or to simply improve their skills...
My comment was directed at developers who are in the business of making games and not hobbyists (or people doing it so they can improve their skills enough so they can get hired) like you are describing.

Sure, everyone wants to get paid in some way...gotta make a living. But some game developers care more about the art and fun of games than making any real money off them.
Those are the exception, not the rule. Regardless, my point was that it's not about developers being too lazy to target non-x86 platforms. It's because most developers, like every other business, target the largest markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.