[News:USA] Survey: T-Mobile tops in customer satisfaction (AT&T Last)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gkarris, Feb 3, 2011.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I think part of it is that T-Mobile uses those "odd" frequencies for 3G, while AT&T and the rest of the major carriers in the world (even T-Mobile in Europe) use the same ones.

3. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Well thats nothing new, and more people around the world use the band that Att uses

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ummm AT&T uses odd ones as well. It is not T-Mobile US or AT&T fault for their "odd" 3G frequencies in the us.

AT&T was forced to use the one it users because Verizon bought up the frequencies that europe uses and T-Mobile got a double hit because AT&T owned that next block so they had to find another set they could use.

5. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Verizon's a not-too-far behind #2...

;)

From the front page news - looks like AT&T's starting to feel the effects - this article isn't going to help much... :eek:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

These numbers are interesting, but I think it personally matters whats best for yourself. I don't care if T-Mobile ranks #1 if Sprint does a better job in my area (for example).

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

T-mobile? I don't know anyone who has t-mobile. Everyone has Verizon or AT&T.

Bottom line, T-mobile can place first in customer survey, but they have the lowest subscribers.

Verizon is doing great.

8. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Hi, I'm a T-Mobile customer.
    Freaking hate it.
    The service is horrible everywhere, and it costs way too much for crappy service and low quality phones.
    Damn those two year contracts.
    However, in customer service, the agents are quite nice and helpful. Unfortunately, helpful agents can't give my phone the ability to make a call from my bedroom. That's just their crappy service at fault.
    As soon as I have $800 to throw around, I'm canceling this contract and going to VZW.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I was thinking the same thing. Hand a Verizon or AT&T subscriber a T-Mobile phone and just wait a few days for millions to complain about lack of coverage. The map looks decent where I live, but you get south of Atlanta and you're f@#%ed unless you're near an interstate highway. I go check AT&T's map and there are rural parts uncovered, but the web of coverage extends much further from the big highways.

10. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

I have T-Mobile for years and have used Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, HTC, and Apple phones with it and never had a dropped call, totally clear and excellent service.

Friends I know switched but used Blackberry's and they had horrible service. They went to Verizon with BB and they use mainly voice and love it.

People I know on T-Mobile with Android phones from HTC have never had any problems as well. Don't know about the Moto or Samsung phones.

So, I guess it depends on the phone you use.

AFA coverage, I thought that T-Mobile has no roaming charges. I've roamed onto other systems and never got charged extra for making or receiving calls, texts, data, etc....

I have a feeling, though with the Verizon iPhone, people are going to complained about dropped data connections (when a voice call comes in)... :eek:

;)

11. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

I'm surprised...look at T-Mobile's coverage maps and see that even AT&T looks like a diamond in comparison. We had VoiceStream which then changed to T-Mobile until around 2004 when we switched to VZW. This is the NYC suburbs and T-Mobile was unusable most of the time. 1 bar to no service in the house.

Easily the worst carrier in the US...even worse than AT&T.

12. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

It all depends. After beeing treated extremely poorly by AT&T Wireless and Verizon (at their stores when I was looking), my opinion differs...

13. mpossoff macrumors 68020

All the carriers are pretty close according to the article.

14. ecschwarz macrumors 65816

ecschwarz

I would agree with you, perhaps I wasn't clear. I think it's just that the 1700MHz frequency really hurts things for the iPhone on T-Mobile, since in the grand scheme of things, it's not used much (only some small carriers in the Canada, and in the US only T-Mobile, and some areas for Cincinnati Bell).

Apple really wants to try to offer the broadest scope possible. I suspect once technology improves, adding the 1700MHz band would be easy for future models, so that way Apple wouldn't get into something like the early days where there were so many single or dual-band phones that were essentially the same GSM model, but a specific one for each carrier (take a look back at the Sony Ericsson T610/616/618 for a prime example).

Right now, here are the popular frequencies broken down (GSM only):

800: Japan (NTT DoCoMo)
    850: Americas (AT&T, Bell Mobility, Telcel, Telus, Rogers), Oceania (Telstra, Telecom NZ, Vodafone AU)
    900: Europe, Asia, Oceania (Optus, Vodafone AU, Vodafone NZ), Dominican Republic (Orange), Venezuela (Digitel GSM)
    1700: USA (T-Mobile, Cincinnati Bell Wireless), Canada (WIND Mobile, Mobilicity, Videotron), Chile (VTR, Nextel)
    1800: Europe, Asia, Oceania (Falling out of use)
    1900: Americas (AT&T, Bell Mobility, Telcel, Telus, Rogers)
    2100: Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone AU & NZ, Three Mobile AU, 2° and Telecom NZ), Brazil

If you look at that list, 800, 850, 900, 1900, and 2100 covers most GSM carriers out there, which is what the iPhone 4 supports.

This will also get screwy when Verizon deploys their LTE network on the 700MHz spectrum...