newsday: CIA to purge bush non-loyalists

zimv20

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
link

CIA plans to purge its agency

Sources say White House has ordered new chief to eliminate officers who were disloyal to Bush

WASHINGTON -- The White House has ordered the new CIA director, Porter Goss, to purge the agency of officers believed to have been disloyal to President George W. Bush or of leaking damaging information to the media about the conduct of the Iraq war and the hunt for Osama bin Laden, according to knowledgeable sources.

"The agency is being purged on instructions from the White House," said a former senior CIA official who maintains close ties to both the agency and to the White House. "Goss was given instructions ... to get rid of those soft leakers and liberal Democrats. The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda."

One of the first casualties appears to be Stephen R. Kappes, deputy director of clandestine services, the CIA's most powerful division. The Washington Post reported yesterday that Kappes had tendered his resignation after a confrontation with Goss' chief of staff, Patrick Murray, but at the behest of the White House had agreed to delay his decision till tomorrow.

But the former senior CIA official said that the White House "doesn't want Steve Kappes to reconsider his resignation. That might be the spin they put on it, but they want him out." He said the job had already been offered to the former chief of the European Division who retired after a spat with then-CIA Director George Tenet.

Another recently retired top CIA official said he was unsure Kappes had "officially resigned, but I do know he was unhappy."

Without confirming or denying that the job offer had been made, a CIA spokesman asked Newsday to withhold naming the former officer because of his undercover role over the years. He said he had no comment about Goss' personnel plans, but he added that changes at the top are not unusual when new directors come in.

On Friday John E. McLaughlin, a 32-year veteran of the intelligence division who served as acting CIA director before Goss took over, announced that he was retiring. The spokesman said that the retirement had been planned and was unrelated to the Kappes resignation or to other morale problems inside the CIA.

It could not be learned yesterday if the White House had identified Kappes, a respected operations officer, as one of the officials "disloyal" to Bush.
But another former CIA official who retains good contacts within the agency said that Goss and his top aides, who served on his staff when Goss was chairman of the House intelligence committee, believe the agency had relied too much over the years on liaison work with foreign intelligence agencies and had not done enough to develop its own intelligence collection system.

"Goss is not a believer in liaison work," said this retired official. But, he said, the CIA's "best intelligence really comes from liaison work. The CIA is simply not going to develop the assets [agents and case officers] that would meet the intelligence requirements."
a tad stalin-esque, eh?

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
zimv20 said:
a tad stalin-esque, eh?
Oh, yeah. Let's not have any independent, critical thought in an agency as important as the CIA. What we want is yes men!

I mean, really:

"The CIA is looked on by the White House as a hotbed of liberals and people who have been obstructing the president's agenda."
What Bush may look upon as liberal obstructionists, you or I might call principled patriots.

This is bad, very bad, and portends even more manufactured "intelligence" used as justification to invade even more countries.

The only upside is, watch for a slew of books written by "anonymous" people, telling even more about what goes on inside Bush's CIA.

Not that those books are going to prevent further belligerent adventurism by a guy who clearly values piety and cant over information and reason.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
The CIA is a liberal hotbed? I'd never heard that before, but Porter Goss would sure be the guy you'd want in charge if you were purging the opposition from the ranks.

I wonder how the rank-and-file of the CIA feel about being called a bunch of liberals?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Seriously, is anyone the least bit surprised by this political housecleaning after the appointment of Porter Goss as director?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I think this smacks more of 1984 than anything from this administration yet.

The CIA, a hotbed of liberals?

I wish there was a "frightened" emoticon.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I wonder if this is an indication of what is to come and why so many people are leaving this administration.

Though it should mean that we will get a lot of tell alls and the like.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Thomas Veil said:
Don't forget, this is the same Porter Goss who said of himself, "I couldn't get a job with the CIA today. I am not qualified."
In fairness, that quote is taken a bit out of context. What disturbed me about the Goss appointment was his history as a highly partisan member of Congress and an opponent of the 9-11 Commission's reform recommendations. If ever the CIA needed a director who was above politics it is now, but instead, Bush went entirely in the other direction. So it surprises me not at all that Goss is playing the part of the Great Expunger. I predict the second Bush term is going to be all about ideological purity. This is very probably only the beginning of the purge.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
IJ Reilly said:
I predict the second Bush term is going to be all about ideological purity. This is very probably only the beginning of the purge.
I'd hoped that someone's theory would be correct.

They'd said that with Bush no longer needing to appeal to his extremist base, he'd back off some of his more radical stances and be a little more relaxed, a little more moderate.

Nope; we're ****ed.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
pseudobrit said:
They'd said that with Bush no longer needing to appeal to his extremist base, he'd back off some of his more radical stances and be a little more relaxed, a little more moderate.
Who said that? Surely it wasn't me.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
link

Members of Congress said Sunday that they were concerned about turmoil within the Central Intelligence Agency, following last week's retirement of the agency's deputy director and reports of more resignations to come.
Appearing on CBS' "Face the Nation," Harman said she thought the reports of low morale at the agency were due to the four "inexperienced" House Intelligence Committee staff members who came to the CIA when Porter J. Goss (R-Fla.), the committee's former chairman, became director of central intelligence in September.
zim, what was that you'd said a national "brain-drain" portends?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
eh, what's some prunning of the dead leaves? Isn't it a good thing that the White House will be more likely to get the intel it wants?

Thomas Veil said:
Don't forget, this is the same Porter Goss who said of himself, "I couldn't get a job with the CIA today. I am not qualified."
Not qualified to be a covert agent. Big difference between saying "I'm not qualified to work covertly in the field anymore" and "I'm not qualified to sit behind the big desk at CIA HQ."

Lethal

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
eh, what's some prunning of the dead leaves? Isn't it a good thing that the White House will be more likely to get the intel it wants?

Not qualified to be a covert agent. Big difference between saying "I'm not qualified to work covertly in the field anymore" and "I'm not qualified to sit behind the big desk at CIA HQ."

Lethal
Not to be picky, but when did he make that distinction?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
mactastic said:
As opposed to the intel it needs?
Yeah, I was trying to be subtle & sarcastic saying the White House just wants to hear what it wants to hear.

Xtremehkr,
The distiction has always been there (between heading up the CIA vs working as a field agent). But depending on who uses the quote they might not make that clear.

Lethal

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
Xtremehkr,
The distiction has always been there (between heading up the CIA vs working as a field agent). But depending on who uses the quote they might not make that clear.

Lethal
I'm confused because I've never heard the guy who said it make the distinction.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
pseudobrit said:
I forget where I'd heard or read that.

It offered a glimmer of hope, and I clung to it.
well, w/o these humble forums, Jef was advancing that position. In the wide world, I believe that some WashPost and NYT Editorialists were saying the same. Can't remember who, perhaps Friedman?

I was hopeful too.