Newsnight report - Pedophile priest soaks up sun in Canary Islands

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, May 15, 2010.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    So what happened to the priests named in the Murphy report, or any other investigation for that matter? All prosecuted where possible and listed on the Sex Offenders Register? Paid £30,000 to shuffle out the back door and take an extended holiday?

A journo homes in on one of the priests to find out. Good 13 min video. I'm always stunned when a journalist with no powers can get more done than a police force.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/8556659.stm

2. ethical macrumors 68000

Just watched the whole thing. Absolutely ridiculous! I guess it just goes to show how deep religion has it's claws in some countries, even today in the 21st century. And that to the majority pride and public image far outweighs justice. That man disgusts me.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm tired of hearing about this s***. Every day it's another case and no one does anything but make excuses and blame gay people. These priests need to be brought to justice, not sent on vacation! My god! This is insane.

And even more evidence of a cover up. When is the law going to seriously get involved? Why is this allowed to continue without a full investigation? The Church needs to be investigated completely on this issue. No other organization would be able to ge away with this.

I've told you guys before that a friend of mine was abused by a priest, got AIDS from him and died as a result. Nothing ever happened to the priest, but my friend paid with his life. Here we have at least one boy who killed himself because of it. And this priest just brushed it off as if it were nothing. SICK.

Macaddicttt- no more excuses for the Church. This BS needs to be dealt with honestly and completely. They need to be investigated and prosecuted. If the Church is serious about dealing with this, they need to open up everything to the authorities. Until then, they will remain tainted.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I wish they would increase the penalties on these people due to the fiduciary relationship between their people and them. I realize the term is usually used for lawyers and stuff, but this is crap that none of these priests are being brought to justice.

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I won't defend these actions or give excuses. Just be careful what you attack when you say, "the Church." Are you attacking Catholics or the minority of clergy who did this sort of thing? Or do you think it's all some big conspiracy orchestrated by "the Church" worldwide? It's so easy to attack "the Church" when I have not seen anyone on this forum go through a specific case and detail exactly where "the Church" went wrong. People seem more interested in lambasting the Church than figuring out what went wrong and how to prevent it.

And of course no one acknowledges that the pope himself has admitted that the fault lies within the Church, not homosexuals or outside forces or whatever: Link

Or that he's promised to investigate all allegations and bring those guilty to civil justice: Link

I know it's frustrating, but give them some time. Being a priest or a bishop is a full-time job to begin with, and this is a huge administrative burden for a bureaucracy that is only now beginning to be equipped to deal with this. Investigations are happening now, and civil prosecutions will happen and have happened (e.g. the priest Benedict was absurdly accused of "protecting" served many years in prison for his abuse). It just doesn't make international news when it does, just like none of the hundreds of defrockings Ratzinger himself ordered made the news.

As for this particular story, it looks like the diocese was on its way to doing the right thing, and then completely dropped the ball. After he was convicted internally of abuse, the police should have been notified. Luckily, victims did notify the police.

As to the sensational headline, the reason he's "soaking up sun in the Canary Islands" sounds like the failings of the Irish justice department who said there was not enough evidence for prosecution.

And then the article goes on to blame the Church for not alerting his new wife of his past crimes. Sorry, but since when is it the duty of an employer to track the personal lives of their former employees just in case they need warn someone of his past actions?

Again, horrible abuse was committed, and I will not defend the abusers or those who covered it up. Just be careful with what you're condemning. Are you condemning the people responsible or a 2,000-year-old set of beliefs?

6. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Both, and more

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not my job to figure out how to prevent abuse in the Catholic Church. But it IS DEFINITELY NOT their job to cover up said abuse, like they did in this case once again. This is what is making everyone angry.

And then a day later tries to insert himself into politics in Portugal against gay marriage. Sorry pope- WAY too little, WAY too late. Not when just a little bit ago, you were blaming gay people. Rings a bit hollow, don't you think? I might believe him if he'd get rid of his ban on gay clergy and end the Church's war on gays.

You're kidding, right? I mean, SERIOUSLY? The Church is merely an employer now? I thought they were the guardians of "morality". This goes way past something "personal".

Yes and yes.

8. unid macrumors regular

I find this sickening.

There can be no real doubt that a conspiracy is what we are looking at.

A conspiracy is literally a secret agreement between people to break the law.
    That is proven in this case.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If they are just an employer why are they interfering on contraception, abortion and homosexuality?

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I think your response shows exactly what "the church" has done wrong over and over again. This is about sex crimes against children. The police should have been contacted immediately to investigate. Internal investigations and trials simply aren't a substitute for the civil authorities. There is no justification for "the church" to treat this as strictly an internal matter, yet that's what has happened over and over again.

"The church" can go about deciding whether they want to continue to employ the priest, but when a crime is suspected, it's the police who should be investigating the crime.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I didn't know that employers were allowed to try people internally who committed serious felonies.

12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Okay, well then I will not engage you on this topic anymore. You clearly don't like the beliefs of the Catholic Church, and enjoy having an opportunity to condemn those beliefs with something ancillary. There's no point in talking about the abuse scandal until you remove your prejudice against the religion.

And this just doesn't even make any sense:

When did I say the Church was merely an employer? When I said "employer" I was talking about the diocese, which was, in fact, his employer. He then was fired from that position when he was found to have abused children. Also, I wasn't aware that the Church was responsible for all the actions of its members, even former members. The morality that the Church is guardians of clearly states that sexual abuse is immoral. I don't see how this changes that. You are so blinded by hatred that a discussion is not worth it at all.

Also indicative of your unwillingness to an actual debate is you completely ignoring 90% of my post. Sorry, Lee, but there's no point discussing this with you. It's obvious religion hurt you very badly during your life and you have and will most likely always have an intense hatred for anything even remotely related to religion. Let me know when you've gotten over that and are willing to debate rationally.

Where is the outrage that the Irish police didn't prosecute the guy? Oh, right. I forgot, you're only interested in maligning an entire religion. For someone who claims to work so hard for tolerance, you certainly are intolerant. And no, I don't expect you to admit to any of these things, because, just like the Republicans you (rightly) rail against, you will never admit you're wrong. I've pointed out things before that you've gotten completely wrong and I've never gotten so much as a, "Oh, I didn't know that's what the Church taught." Hesitantly using a phrase from a certain book, remove the plank from your own eye.

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Which is why I said that the diocese really dropped the ball when they didn't go immediately to the police.

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well certainly they can't in place of civil trials, only in addition. I don't think anyone is arguing that.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

16. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Hands up, who actually read the article? Because you'd see immediately that he was not paid £30,000 to "take an extended holiday." This is sensationalist journalism at its best. The guy takes his vacations in the Canary Islands, and for no reason at all people charge that the Church is paying for them. Come on. Really? Have you no integrity?

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From what I gathered his ties to the church were severed long ago.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I didn't read the article but if he had anything to do with raping children he should be getting his own ass pounded in a prison shower by now.

19. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

The church paid him 30,000 because he refused to leave after the abuse was uncovered. It's sensational because it's true.

It was a video, last I knew you don't read videos unless you're just making up facts again to defend perverts and aren't following this at all. Hilarious how deluded some people are - they preach integrity while relentlessly defending pedophiles.

Not hilarious actually, pathetic.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Catholic church seemed to be more than happy to not go to the police about pedophile priests.

21. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

This freaking guy and all the so-called priests who have taken advantage of kids should be shot in the face. No mercy. Just pop em in the face and throw their carcasses in the garbage.:mad:

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Personally I think they should be punished as judged appropriate by the country they live in. In many countries that isn't acceptable punishment.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

That's not what the thread title says, and you know it. The title says he was paid specifically to go on vacation. Complete BS.

Um, scroll down. There's a FREAKING ARTICLE! Are you purposefully ignorant or what?

Please show me where I once defended a pedophile. Oh, I didn't? Then SHUT THE F%^& UP. I'm tired of your freaking holier-than-thou attitude. You won't discuss anything rationally, you'll just pull the old, "You defend pedophiles" card when it's not even remotely true. You disgust me. You have no intellectual integrity.

That diocese was. The Vatican has told the clergy to go to the police. Again, please don't blame the whole Church for the failings of a few individuals. 11,000 abuse cases over 20 years in an organization of 1+ billion is pretty good considering there were 290,000 cases in American public schools in just ten years (1991-2000).

24. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Were the 11000 cases involving the congregation as well as members of the priesthood? If not then the 1B+ figure is a bit misleading, isn't it? Overall, the figures are average for an organization of its size AFAIK.

25. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Okay, I'll admit the 1 billion number is misleading. There are 400,000 Catholic priests in the world: Link

11,000/400,000 = 0.0275

There are 3.1 million public school teachers in the US: Link

290,000/3,100,000 = 0.0935

And the 11,000 number is over 20 years. The 290,000 number is over 10 years.