Newsstand - why don't all newspapers and magazines auto download?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by justjax, Feb 17, 2013.

1. justjax macrumors regular

Can any one shed some light on to why all magazines and newspapers in Newsstand don't implement the auto/background downloading feature.

I've previously subscribed to a UK newspaper called The Guardian and every morning the latest issue would be waiting for me. The feature also works on the free daily paper The Metro, however I'm tried a few other papers and I have to go in and manually download them and the same applies to a number of magazines I subscribe too. I find it particularly frustrating with magazines as they seem to take forever to download since many many upgraded their apps to retina quality.

So why isn't everyone implementing this feature? Do Apple charge companies more too do so? It just seems illogical why everyone doesn't implement it to make the download process quicker and easier?

BTW, On a related issue, is there anyway to have Newsstand download faster? I'm assuming its restricted to a certain speed not to hog the bandwidth but is there a way to increase this?

2. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

You need to have Automatic Downloads enabled under Setting->Store

After that its all on the App Developer to incorporate the Background Downloading feature, otherwise you just get the badge and have to manually open it for it to download in foreground

3. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

I'm a times subscriber which has been sporadic at best. Just recently both the times and Sunday times have combined to one newsstand app and no editions download into my iPad. The Sunday times worked for a bit at some random intervals but not for months.
    I've also got TNW and that's never worked..