Newsweek - Behind the Scenes in the Campaigns

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 5, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Link

A few interesting tidbits here. I look forward to the whole thing when it's done within the week.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Interesting, thanks for the link. I love the post-mortem stuff served with a side salad of muck-raking. :)

Things I've personally learnt from this election:

1. I've learnt more about Alaskan politics than I ever wanted to know.
    2. That you don't mess with community organisers and...
    3. That looking at clutches of state polls for Indiana at 3am on a weekend morning is a sure sign of incipient madness.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Cause and effect?...Perhaps?...Just maybe??

As for Palin and Clotheshorsegate, I can't say I'm terribly surprised.

I did laugh when I saw a political cartoon labeling her a "Neiman-Marxist".

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    I liked this story when I ran across it earlier. I think the behind-the-scenes bit is excellent, and shows McCain's true character in the face of handing his campaign, sadly, to the Bush-league meat-grinders who convinced him to pick Palin. It's interesting to note how McCain really did himself proud by (unlike his Saturday Night live counter-part) disproving of the worst ads, and trying to keep things somewhat less inflamatory than his advisors wanted to go.
    The palling around done by Hillary Clinton and McCain after her Primary loss, was also interesting. When Obama spoke in Florida with Bill Clinton by his side, and when Clinton spoke fondly of McCain during their joint charity event... it seemed so obvious that the Clintons enjoyed a close friendship with McCain that would have made for a strange General Election, had she won. Bill Clinton seemed to nod, as Obama turned to him while affirming McCain's great character.
    But, I really loved this one:
    There ya go... an F--ing REAL American. :)

~ CB

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i just finished reading all of the newsweek articles presently on line...wow!

i didn't keep up much with the campaign until about 2 months ago so all of the historical content was new to me...and fascinating.

the quote about bill clinton by david geffen was a harbinger of hillary's loss...i think bill turned people off with his meddling. it's obvious he's brilliant but lacks self control...who needs that in the first husband? and his personal plane being dubbed " air f*** one" is funny in a sad way.

great series...i wants more!

6. jplan2008 macrumors regular

From FOX News, no less, some more about Sarah Palin (via HuffPo), including:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/05/palin-didnt-know-africa-i_n_141653.html

7. TSE macrumors 68030

... please... the race is over... let's go onto more important stuff than how much Palin spent for her dress. :rolleyes:

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's ashame that McCain didn't do better. I'd almost like to see him run again, but this time run his campaign how he wants to run it, not how he's told he should run it.

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

You mean like the rest of the article... ;)

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

I think that 2000 McCain vs. Obama would have been an interesting and competitive race. However, he was forced to adopt the neo-con playbook.

11. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Man, I'm loving this! Nothing like politico dirt!

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've just been spending the last 30mins reading through them and as enjoyable and interesting as they are, I can't help but think there's more, much more, than this. Someone's writing a book or leaking the dirt in other places...

I'd love to see all of the stuff we know already stitched together. No wonder the press had little good to say about the McCain campaign; it sounded like chaos and they were at war with the press.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    these latest chapters verify what i suspected all along...john mccain didn't sincerely embrace the tone and spin of his campaign. he sold his soul and regretted it.

i never really believed that HE believed what he was saying...

15. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    These stories seem so amazing. It's what I suspected in some cases, but pretty damn funny in others.

No wonder Change.gov crashed. I wanna see stats some day.

~ CB

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

17. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Already, the denials are up.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/1108/Duprey_Schmidt_deny_Newsweek_report.html

Regardless of the truth, I don't believe a single word these liars say. ;)

The grownups can get in charge of governing, while these clowns can stand around taking potshots at each other. And in case anyone feels the warm glow of 'bi-partisanship' descending upon them:

http://www.americablog.com/2008/11/magnanimity-is-nice-but-lets-not-forget.html

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If he was really the maverick he supposedly was, he would have run it his way to begin with. It disturbs me how easily he was swayed, not exactly leadership material.