newsweek poll: bush approval drops to 28% (5 May 07)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 6, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

newsweek

fwiw, this poll was taken right after bush vetoed the iraq war spending bill.

this newsweek link is an article about the poll results.

2. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

If they dropped Texas and Florida from their sample, the bugger would be in the teens.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow. Fodder for all kinds of discussion and analysis there. Thanks for the link, zim.

Bush is at his lowest rating ever...even one point lower than his dad at his worst, and tied with Jimmy Carter at his worst. (And isn't that interesting? Bush is outright corrupt, incompetent and dangerous, but Jimmy Carter reached the same low rating merely for being considered ineffectual.)

And it speaks volumes that no Republican candidate for president is doing as well as the Democrats. The article ascribes that to Bush pulling down the ticket, but I think the last Congress has a lot to do with that as well. Republicans are just not thought of as trustworthy or smart anymore.

Also, in head-to-head choices between the top three candidates on each side, Democrats always win, but Edwards and Obama come out slightly higher than Clinton. Interesting.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What was Nixon at his lowest point? Wouldn't surprise me if it's higher than Dubya's

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Lowest Approval Ratings for Past Presidents

President % Approve
    Clinton 36% 5/26-27/93 Newsweek

G.H.W. Bush 29% 7/31-8/2/92 Gallup

Reagan 35% 1/28-31/83 Gallup

Carter 28% 6/29-7/2/79 Gallup

Ford 37% 1/10-13/75 & 3/28-31/75 Gallup

Nixon 23% 1/4-7/74 Gallup

Johnson 35% 8/7-12/68 Gallup

Kennedy 56% 9/12-17/63 Gallup

Eisenhower 48% 3/27-4/1/58 Gallup

Truman 22% 2/9-14/52 Gallup

Roosevelt 48% 8/18-24/39 Gallup

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Korea and McCarthyism

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps this?:

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I wanna know what George Washington's was AFTER he crossed the Potomac :p

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Gloat all you want, since that's about all you'll get to do, before it's back to depression. So far, it still looks like it's the Republican's who'll win the White House in 08.

Polls, shmolls - this early in the campaign they're as good as meaningless.

Look at the Democratic field. Hillary Clinton - even I can't bring myself to vote for that dirtbag. And her negatives are sky high - she cannot win, unless somehow her handlers perform some kind of miracle of image re-invention... brrr, what a vile creature. Obama - empty suit. I don't have a good feeling about this guy... maybe I'm wrong, I'm willing to keep an open mind about him. Anyhow, he's too inexperienced. And, sad to say, I don't think America is as yet ready to elect a black man president. The other candidates? I'd vote for Edwards, but I also recongize that the man has foot in mouth disease, and not a good campaigner... he can't get a fire going, I doubt he can win. That leaves the rest - hopeless for various reasons.

The Republicans are loathsome pandering thugs as usual, but matched against the pathetic candidates the Democrats oblige them with, well, they'll win by default.

Democrats appear to have a special talent for picking losers. On the issues, and given the last 15 years (Clinton vs Bush), you'd think Democrats would be a shoo-in. And then they come up with this sorry team. Sigh.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's a long way from now to November 2008 to be making this kind of prediction, or any predictions for that matter.

12. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

You are absolutely correct. However, it's likely that the Democrats will still have the same field, with the same front runners going forward. And that's enough for a disaster. I truly hope I'm wrong.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm saying that it's hard to predict which of the candidates will appeal to the voters, and to what degree. Somebody is bound to connect in ways we would not have expected. On the Democratic side, Obama probably has most upside potential. Edwards might be able to pull it off, and Gore is apparently waiting in the wings if the frontrunners self-destruct. On the Republican side, Giuliani probably has the greatest ability to generate excitement, though in the long run, he's a hard sell within his own party. Many Republicans are hoping Thomspon will get off the fence and run. I think this could be the most interesting presidential race in decades -- the field is wide open, and the issues in play are huge.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes indeed.....but still, this is the first poll I've seen that shows Hilary beating Rudy

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Glass half empty kind of guy, OldCorpse?

I don't know why you're so down about 2008. Nobody on the Republican side seems happy with the candidates they're fielding, whereas many Democrats would gladly vote for Obama or Edwards (or, if he runs, Gore).

Plus, GOP voters seem to be split between those who want to run even further to the right, and those who want to regain their senses.

Whether we're talking Congress or the White House, the momentum all seems to be towards the Democrats right now.

Of course, if Hillary should win the nomination, I might have to revise that view. Of the major Democratic candidates, she's the only one whom I don't think can win.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If Hillary gets the nomination, we might as well not bother with an election and just hand the presidency to the Republicans. I refuse to vote for her.

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Bush is a terrorist, as is Blair.

Unfortunately, unlike, the war criminal and Terrorist Blair, Bush ( who is also those ) is too stupid to step down and take a hint.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I once thought he couldn't go any lower, but he just keeps falling in the polls. Scandal after scandal, screw up after screw up. Is there anything he's done right? Anything at all? Seriously? I keep asking this over and over again, and I never do get an answer.

Worst. President. Ever.

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

What ever happened to a President representing the will ofthe people? Bush seems to think the people are suppose to represent him and his corporation takeover of our govt. 28% and well deserved.

20. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm wondering about the 28 percent that actually DO approve of GW. :rolleyes:

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

22. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I waws thinking Middle America

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I am so embarassed to be from this country sometimes.