Newt Gingrich Redefines "Traditional Marriage"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 19, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_n...tionship-candidate-wont-say-anything-negative

To Newt Gingrich, traditional marriage is one man, many women. What a hypocritical pig.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Man, you couldn't write a better script than this Republican clown show. Just watched Perry withdraw, talk about god and his faith and endorse Gingrich.

<Gets more popcorn.>

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Every time I see a new headline about one of the Republican clowns, I have to do a double-take and make sure I'm not looking at The Onion. You couldn't even make this **** up.

4. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

And yet Obama will lose to one of them (and Republicans will pick up more seats in Congress).

Makes you wonder exactly where the disconnect is.

5. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Really? Just about every poll out there has Obama beating any of them.

6. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Hmmm. Guess my internets are broken.

7. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I guess so. Obama's chances are looking pretty good right now.

8. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Alright. Maybe it's as clear as you say. I don't think it is. Let's do this - I will google "Obama polls," and I will post the first poll that comes up. If "just about every poll has Obama beating any of them," then I should be wrong.

Googling now...

----------

First link - from CBS:

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

So he's tied with Romney. I was incorrect on that. But the same poll has him well ahead of Gingrich and any of the other clowns.

Your statement that Obama will beat them is false though. He's not losing to any of them. At worst, he's tied with Romney.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And that's not good enough. If it's a tie right now, it won't be for long, not once people see more of Romney.

11. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

FWIW, another poll (Warning - PDF link) has him beating Romney by 5.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I actually went to sleep thinking about this last night. Hence my original post in this thread, at least the "disconnect" portion. I am genuinely curious where the blame will be laid by his supporters when Obama loses. The way it relates to this thread is the repeated choruses we hear from Obama supporters - not necessarily you, just the droning white noise all around:

"Republicans are imploding."
    "Republicans are idiots."
    "Republicans are too extreme."
    "Republicans are out of touch."
    "Republicans are are a bunch of clowns."
    "Republicans are against civil rights."
    "Republicans are obstructionists."

What I find interesting, fun even, is assuming that every single one of these comments is true. Every single one. And then wondering how Obama supporters will explain it when Obama loses to an imploded party full of extreme, out of touch idiots who moonlight as clowns when not doing their day job of obstructing civil rights. Should be fun to watch.

And if I'm wrong, and Obama doesn't lose, more power to him. But when he loses, the question will be - how could he possibly have lost given all that we have come to accept about Republicans? Funny to think about.

13. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

If Perry's followers go with Gingrich, this could be interesting. Only Romney has any chance of seriously taking on Obama, so this Perry endorsement could kill the GOP if enough Perry followers go against Romney.

The whole GOP fate for 2012 is at stake, so all the born-again Christians who say they won't vote for Romney will come on board at the last minute. Are they going to vote for fellow Christian and non-Mormon Barack Obama? Politics is stronger than religion when it comes to the polling booth.

Gingrich will stick it out longest but he probably already has a way to save face when he loses and comes up with a clever way to sell Romney. While it may look like an easy victory for Obama, it's probably going to be a close race if Romney gets the nomination and the whole party backs him without reservation. All this divisive trash talk in the GOP primaries is just for show.

14. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Gingrich is surging in SC. A few polls taken within the past 24hours have him ahead.

This amuses me. I so want to see the Current Media Narrative™ thrown off a bit.

15. Rodimus Prime, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Wow a view that goes against both for and against gay marriage groups. I did not could be that stupid. It also means he loses the women vote as well.
    Quote of the truth.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Polls that include Obama at this stage are worse than useless. Bachmann won a poll months ago - and that result said more about the value of these polls than it did about Bachmann's potential.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, just because I hear "Entrance of the Gladiators" every time there's a Republican debate doesn't mean that it's impossible for Obama to lose.

One thing to keep in mind is that Independents are up for grabs between Romney (at this point, the presumptive nominee) and Obama.

In the latest NYT/CBS poll, it's clear that the partisans are running to their parties and Independents are frustrated with Obama. However, they're even more frustrated with Congress.

It also depends on the coming election. The Obama campaign has been waiting in the wings, so while Romney's had to battle the unfocused campaigns of the other Republican candidates, he has yet to endure the full assault of a national campaign.

And, this ignores the power of the SuperPAC, which I think may be a game changer in this election—and something that the GOP seems to understand more clearly than the DNC.

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Apparently he really likes surging.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If all of those things are true- what's funny about it? Pathetic is more like it.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

lots of people like clowns so why wouldn't they vote for one? :p

21. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

This is indeed interesting. For as long as I've been decently paying attention to politics - probably since the 1992 election - the "independent vote" has almost be a euphemism for "Democratic vote." NPR ran an interesting story a few days ago on All Things Considered about how much the (projected) independent vote has shifted in the last three years.

I agree the numbers show an absolute loathing for Congress, but the question is why? This ties back to my question - if the low Congressional approval is due to "Republican obstructionism," then picking up seats will be a cake walk for Democrats. If the Obstructionist Republicans keep or increase their seats, then what will be the excuse? Seriously. I don't ask rhetorically. (I'm not asking you directly, but feel free to answer.)

I agree. As an aside, this is (according to the article) Obama's first out-and-out re-election ad:

http://campaign2012.washingtonexami...bama-ad-defends-energy-policy-solyndra/322111

I'll answer your rhetorical question. If all of those things are true, what's funny about it is that a sock puppet could beat Romney. The alternative, and the reason Obama will lose, is because the crux of the Democratic message is this, "If you vote Republican you are an idiot." And when Obama loses, that is what we will hear - "Obama lost because Americans are idiots."

Surprise, surprise - it's not exactly the strongest platform.

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Do you think that public disgust with congress falls strictly along party lines?

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Obama certainly could lose....and the GOP might well gain control of the Senate....and it's also possible that the GOP could lose control of the House.

The only platform voters may be considering this year is "if you're in, then we want you out!"

Beyond that, when it comes to re-electing an incumbent or not, it seems voters tend to consider whether the challenger is notably better, otherwise incumbency provides a huge advantage when choosing which clown get your vote.

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Nope, but "Republican obstructionism!" is easily the most loudly screamed reason for the disdain of Congress. It would be refreshing to hear "Democrats not doing as their constituents demand!" or the like as additional resins for the low Congressional approval, but "Republican obstructionism!" is all you hear.

Completely agree.

I agree, especially that a challenger must be "notably" better. That's why this election should be a cake walk for Democrats if everything we've heard about the demise of the Republican party is to be even half-way believed.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It may be all you hear, and to be fair most people seem to watch a lot of 24 hour news television and use it as their primary resource. But if you read more substantive accounts of congressional activity, you don't get such an oversimplified picture. It is not the case that issues always evolve along binary partisan lines.

Despite my low opinion of the intelligence of the general public, I think it has long since dawned on many people that Congress, for all its partisanship, is often very self-serving and in many affairs one's party matters less than preserving the lucrative status quo that congress enjoys.

You are framing all your criticisms as partisan in one direction or another; I disagree. There are many voters from both parties who see systemic issues with congress that are not connected to any party platform.

As long as voters see one party or another as the biggest stumbling block to reform, we will make little progress.