Newton iTunes Sync

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Randy Minton writes:

...and you thought the Newt was dead technology? There's a lot of users still doing cutting-edge developement work on what still appears to be an incredibly expandable platform. The newest thing to show up is an iTunes/MP3 program that lets you load and play MP3's on MP 2000's and 2100's. Admittedly they're in mono due to hardware limitations but this is working on a platform that was dicontinued four years ago before MP3's really even took off.

Check it out at http://www.pixell.net/doppler/newton/ and http://40hz.org/MADNewton/ and start thinking about trading out that handicapped PDA for a Newt..

U

Unregistered

NCU works on X in classic

NCU works fine using ethernet/appletalk running under classic on OS X to sync to my mp2k. I'm sure thats not an accident.

U

Unregistered

Re: Newton iTunes Sync

Originally posted by arn
Randy Minton writes:

...and you thought the Newt was dead technology? There's a lot of users still doing cutting-edge developement work on what still appears to be an incredibly expandable platform. The newest thing to show up is an iTunes/MP3 program that lets you load and play MP3's on MP 2000's and 2100's. Admittedly they're in mono due to hardware limitations but this is working on a platform that was dicontinued four years ago before MP3's really even took off.

Check it out at http://www.pixell.net/doppler/newton/ and http://40hz.org/MADNewton/ and start thinking about trading out that handicapped PDA for a Newt..
Ha ha! That is great news. It's no surprise that the Newton still ROCKS! after all these years. I remember the Georgia Tech was working on a MP3 Player for the NMP2k for the students/school work, etc.

U

Unregistered

Still using my MP2000 every day under sometimes rugged conditions. I can't imagine any other PDA doing the work my Newton does.

U

Unregistered

I want a Newton

I just sooo much want a Newton. No Palm, Sony, iPaq or anything, just a 2100.

iAryeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2002
Westerville, Ohio
Newton Syncing on iBook

I have one of the newer dual USB iBooks and I am considering buying a Newton. How can I get it to sync with my computer. Will the old software run on Classic and what kind of adapter do I need to hook-up the newton to my computer? Please e-mail me if you have some answers. Thanks.

aryehalex@hotmail.com

U

Unregistered

MadMAX smart design...

Eckaert Koepen's MadMAX MP3 player for the Newton MP is phenomenal, especially when coupled with Eric Schenck's iTunes plug-in for the Newton OS. It ran on the first try when I installed it all last night. They provide a small test file to make sure that you've done everything properly but I skipped that and went right for Santana's "Put your light's on". 6.6 MB file (with 192 bit-rate) took 17 minutes to download off my G4TiBook via ethernet connection to my LAN with the PB connected via Airport Base Station while I was reading and sending email and browsing the web. Well, suffice it to say that I need a much smaller bit-rate in order to avoid the machine-gun blues. But regardless of some skipping, it does play!

I have yet to test the streaming capabilities of the Newton client but really want to give this a whirl with the Lucent WaveLAN orinoco/agere Silver Card pulling a stream off the TiBook running a software Base Station (make sure to run the card in channel 3 ad hoc mode with Hiroshi Noguchi's driver). This will be very cool!!!

Now, once Paul Guyot finishes the software for ATA support on the Newt and I can pop in two 1/2 GB cards and be very happy!!!!!!

WOWOWOWOWOW!

Timothy

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2002
Seattle, WA
Still kicks a**

You know...Apple could release the Newton 2000 today, almost unchanged, and it would still kick the ass of all the other PDA's on the market.

Actually, all they would need to do is update the syncing software, give it a firewire interface, attach the OS to the iPod with a larger screen...and I would buy it.

Their development cost would be minimal. So, let's see it! ;-)

emdezet

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2002
cologne, germany
get real

playing mp3 mono seems ok for voice messages or audiobooks.
otherwise i could imagine sorting mp3s into playlists, editing their tags, and scheduling them for deletion when synching.

but listening to music thru a coin sized speaker? get real!
when i skip thru my audiogalaxy downloads on my iBook
i use headphones or the av cable.

imspace2

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2001
Maryland
Seti@Home for newton

It would take long as hell to complete a unit but it would be cool
it could be a comand line version and you just leave your MP plugged to ethernet and the AC adaptor

Zaren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2000
My God, it works :)

I just installed the iTunes plug-in, and the appropriate packages on my Newton2100 (that required me sharing a drive over Ethernet, because the package installer app was on one machine, the packages were on another, and the Newton was on ether as well), and I'll be dammed if it didn't work right away :) I did manage to crash my Newton when I tried to play a .pkg instead of an .mp3, though :( But, one battery removal and installation later, and I was back in business.

Now, I just need to come up with a lot more storage... :D