Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yeti89

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
In my free time I like to make mockups of my favorite electronics, particularly the iPhone. However, I am very intreated in what everyone else would like to see in the next generation iPhone's physical design. Also, what do you like or dislike about the current and past iPhones.

Some thoughts to get us rolling
  • I do not want a glass back. It looks cool but breaks easily. I feel a soft touch plastic or some brushed metal would be nice and durable.
  • I like the screen size just fine now. I don't want a large phone. The screen could be bigger but only if the size doesn't have to change much.
  • I think a bezel is needed. From a design aspect it adds balance and structure.
  • I would like it to easily have cases attached that can be minimal (like the iPhone 4) but also to be a phone that I don't have to have a case (not like the iPhone 4). With all glass I feel I really need a case.
Anyways, I know what I want but what would everyone else ilk to see?

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Get ready for the don't we have enough of these iPhone 5 threads already crew to start smoking you. :eek:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
One thing I would like to see is the smartcover, just like the ipad 2 have (I know this one has been talked about before and I do remember seeing this thread).

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
One thing I would like to see is the smartcover, just like the ipad 2 have (I know this one has been talked about before and I do remember seeing this thread).

I don't understand the point of a smart cover on the phone. Isn't that what the lock screen is for? I wouldn't want something magnetically attached to my phone falling off in my pocket.
But to each his own.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Hardware wise. Bigger screen, some sort of 2nd gen LTE radio for Verizon's network.

Software wise. Just more customizable in general.

DankNugz

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2012
Bay Area, CA
I don't understand the point of a smart cover on the phone. Isn't that what the lock screen is for? I wouldn't want something magnetically attached to my phone falling off in my pocket.
But to each his own.

There is also a lock screen on the iPad and it has a smart cover. :rolleyes:

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Hardware wise. Bigger screen, some sort of 2nd gen LTE radio for Verizon's network.

Software wise. Just more customizable in general.

Not just LTE for Verizon, but ATT is rolling out their LTE network too, and by release time, might have like 50 cities, ATT will get it too, and speeds are faster, but ATT doesn't have customers using their 4G LTE bandwith like Verizon, so not a true comparison.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

-4g connectivity
-slightly larger screen
-less fragile
-improved call quality
-better speakerphone
-further interface customization
-more affordable 64gb model

That's it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.