Next-gen iPhone PreOrdering Using a different Line's upgrade

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
(Yep, another one of these threads :p)

I am planning on preordering the next-gen iPhone on Sept 12 (If that is the real date),

Anyways, I am currently on an AT&T family plan. My line is not eligible for an upgrade until July 2013. However, another line of my family plan has been eligible for an upgrade since December 2011.

That line currently has a "dumbphone" unlimited data plan for 10$.

Would it be possible to preorder the new iPhone with that line without adding the smartphone data plan? I wouldn't ever put the sim card from that line into that phone.

Basically, can I use the upgrade on my dumbphone to preorder the new iPhone for my other line while keeping my grandfathered 10$ unlimited dumbphone data plan?

Thanks

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY
i did that last year. i have verizon though. i think you have to place an order for a data plan, but as long as you dont activate it on that line, the data plan wont be activated either.
otherwise, you can just call them and have them do it

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
yesssir he's correct you can upgrade any line you want when you receive the phone just activate it on your line and keep the dumb phone on its same line no prblem

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
If these have the new nano sim you'll have to go to AT&T and have them give you one.

PeteyV

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
No you do not have to add a smartphone data plan on that line. The phone is shipped to you unactivated and when you do call to activate it make sure you use your own number and not the line you used to upgrade. I do this all the time.

allaw

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
To follow on a similar thought. I have a family plan with some phones that are eligible for upgrade while my iPhone 4S is not. Can I pre-order the next iPhone on one of those eligible line and then use it on my #? This situation is different from the title one as all my phone are in use (no dumb phone). i.e., Is it possible to use the new iPhone on my number, and put my iPhone 4S on that other line without a data plan? Or if that line will need to be non-smart phone only?

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
To follow on a similar thought. I have a family plan with some phones that are eligible for upgrade while my iPhone 4S is not. Can I pre-order the next iPhone on one of those eligible line and then use it on my #? This situation is different from the title one as all my phone are in use (no dumb phone). i.e., Is it possible to use the new iPhone on my number, and put my iPhone 4S on that other line without a data plan? Or if that line will need to be non-smart phone only?
All my phones are in use too.

When I say "dumbphone" I refer to a cellphone that isn't a smartphone and uses a data plan, which is cheaper than a smartphone data plan.

I still don't know how preordering will work using a different line, especially if you don't have the correct SIM card for the line you actually want to use it for.

Say Apple decides to use a smaller SIM card, the line you actually want to use the new iPhone on doesn't have this size, how would preordering work then?

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
The downside for Verizon customers is that when you use another lines upgrade it penalizes both the line you took it from and the line you used it for. At least when I checked my upgrade status on my primary # each time I used an available upgrade it pushed my primary lines upgrade out 20 months. This is total BS and didn't realize it until after the fact and they certainly don't mention it at the time of sale.