Next gen mystery hole explained

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
both wrong, you hold the phone sideways and it turns into a jet pack. The holes are for the flames

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Can we stop with these automagical unicorn humping rocketship fuel powered hovercraft jokes? They're so trite and stopped being funny last year.

I think the fingerprint scanner is a cool idea, but it's probably too soon to implement.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Here we go, patently apple called it back in April 2010. Everything I just said.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/04/apple-gearing-up-for-the-coming-nfc--iphone-revolution.html

Straight from the article.

Today's patent relates to an unbelievable Point of Purchase (POP) application that will eventually be adding very sophisticated new functionality to an iPhone: Functionality that will go far beyond just using it for a single POP application. Apple introduces us to an NFC-iPhone that will include a built-in scanner, biometric sensor, added camera functionality and a secondary fingerprint scanner for verifying a user's identity to retailers.
I wouldn't be surprised if apple included face recognition to unlock the iPhone.

redrob2

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Where are these holes on the back of the new iPhone? Seems like there's only the camera and LED holes on the back. It does seem a bit too early to implement such a recent purchase, but would be a fantastic addition.

hypnoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Here we go, patently apple called it back in April 2010. Everything I just said.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2010/04/apple-gearing-up-for-the-coming-nfc--iphone-revolution.html

Straight from the article.

I wouldn't be surprised if apple included face recognition to unlock the iPhone.
Would be awesome.

----------

Can we stop with these automagical unicorn humping rocketship fuel powered hovercraft jokes? They're so trite and stopped being funny last year.

I think the fingerprint scanner is a cool idea, but it's probably too soon to implement.
I don't think we knew about the unicorn humping until at least 2 months ago. Troll.:D

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Reading more into it I believe the back panel is really a finger print reading sensor in conjunction with a new camera for added security.

All this is speculation obviously.

FSMBP

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2009
Apple bought AuthenTec which has fingerprint scan tech that works with NFC. I think the holes are finger print scanners to work with newly found NFC tech.

Added security feature.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/27/us-authentec-acquisition-apple-idUSBRE86Q0KD20120727

This makes more sense IMO than a back microphone.
i'm with you, i have no clue what they are talking about
The OP is mistaken. The mysterious hole is on the new iPod touch, not iPhone.

daviddth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2009
Australia
Yep, the iPod Touch has a camera-sized hole at the other end, but it is too small to be a fingerprint scanner (Think the end of your little finger in size)

Edit: oh and I believe any fingerprint scanner will be incorporated in the home button, or more likely the sleep/wake (AKA power) button.

redrob2

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2010
Yep, the iPod Touch has a camera-sized hole at the other end, but it is too small to be a fingerprint scanner (Think the end of your little finger in size)

Edit: oh and I believe any fingerprint scanner will be incorporated in the home button, or more likely the sleep/wake (AKA power) button.
That would be braziliant.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
The OP is mistaken. The mysterious hole is on the new iPod touch, not iPhone.
No I was referring to the one between the camera and led, the iPad mini has the same type hole.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
While fingerprint recognition would be great if your phone is ever stolen or lost, most are still too easily faked if you have access to the owner.

Unless they begin doing multiple, simultaneous tests (ie, fingerprint scan while checking for pulse), I wouldn't fully trust them for my security.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Wrong. It's a holographic external display projector.
;)
Rofl, I have actually met so many people in real life who are completely clueless with tech that make statements such as "Isn't the next iPhone suppose to have a projector keyboard??" Problem is, they are being completely serious.

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
While fingerprint recognition would be great if your phone is ever stolen or lost, most are still too easily faked if you have access to the owner.

Unless they begin doing multiple, simultaneous tests (ie, fingerprint scan while checking for pulse), I wouldn't fully trust them for my security.

Fingerprint plus live face detection (blinking) with the front camera

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Rofl, I have actually met so many people in real life who are completely clueless with tech that make statements such as "Isn't the next iPhone suppose to have a projector keyboard??" Problem is, they are being completely serious.
YES! I had someone say that too because they saw that video on youtube. Some people! :rolleyes: