Next iPad needs to have something special that the iPhone doesn´t have

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BobHail, Sep 22, 2010.

1. BobHail macrumors 6502a

...besides the bigger screen of course, but that´s not enough for the money. It needs to have something special, something that the iPhone doesn´t have. Preferably hardware related.

Now it just lacks lots of the features and specs that the iPhone does have. Plus iPhone has one major advantage, portability. So the iPad is basically waste of money, not even the "luxury item" that some people calls it.

Hopefully the next one will be better. So what could be that special feature, ideas?

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The screen? Oh wait...

The iPad isn't an iPhone, so how is it a waste of money to buy an iPad over the iPhone? You could make the leap and say, why get a laptop then you can get an iPad? The laptop is a waste of money as the iPad is more portable. But why get the iPad when you can get an iPhone?

Why get a big SUV when you can get a small hatchback? The SUV is a waste of money.

It depends on what you use it for. The iPhone is a Post-It note, the iPad is a notebook, which would you rather for taking down lecture points?

And the screen is the main hardware drawing point. What else does it need?

3. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Well in the iPads defense, it does have iWork and thats something you wouldn't be able to do very well on a 3.5" inch screen. Its also not what the iPad can and can't do, its what it can do better. :apple:
    
    I have come from the future (in my DeLorean) to edit this post to warn new readers of this thread that it is the biggest waste of time. Please do not continue. Just another troll at work. Enjoy your day. (But the guys on page 10 are cool)

4. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now the iPad is just a very very "stripped down iPhone" with a bigger screen. It would be nice, if it would have at least something special (besides the screen), that the iPhone doesn´t have, don´t you agree?

I can do pretty much everything with an iPhone that I could do with an iPad, but turn it around and you can´t do pretty much anything with an iPad that I can do with the iPhone. (Besides maybe playing some childish games with a bigger screen :rolleyes:).

Obviously, but on the other hand... it pretty much is, just a very very stripped down version of it.

I just explained to you.

What? I think you got a screw a little loose in your head. :D Laptop is whole different animal than iPhone/iPad. Laptop isn´t waste of money and you cannot compare it to the iPad.

iPad on the other hand is an iPhone (without the phone and many many other very useful features and specs). So a very very stripped iPhone (with a bigger screen being the only plus side).

Think about it!

Wow, what a killer feature! I´m blown away! Alert the media! :D

Any hardware feature ideas for the next iPad? That you cannot put in the iPhone?

5. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I think its possible the next iPad will have some feature that none of us saw coming. Im expecting big things from the iPad over the next few revisions.

6. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Haha ok, maybe if they put another massive battery in there, you wouldn't be able to fit that in the phone. If you've seen the iFixit teardown, there's heaps of room in there. I'm sure Apple will think of something.

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Do you even own an iPad?

Because it is sooooo much more than an iPhone to me. In fact, for me, I think an iphone is a waste of money and people should buy an iPad instead.

Different strokes for different folks.......

There was an add line for BASF a number of years ago that fits here..... "we don't make your carpet, we make it better". Sure I can do most things on my Touch, but I can do them better on my iPad.

8. bergmef macrumors 6502a

Battery adds weight though, a few here already complain that it is too heavy.

Maybe they can increase the battery and fill it with helium?!? :D

9. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Then we'll get everyone complaining about their iPads flying away:eek:

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Okay, what can't the iPad do that the iPhone can?

Really, what was stripped out?

How is a laptop a whole different beast? Why isn't a laptop a waste of money? That question is really based on your computing needs, for example, a laptop for my dad is a waste of money, but the iPad is perfect. My dad even has the iPhone 4, and I would recommend an iPad to dad...why? Because having a bigger screen makes seeing things easier, more room to type with etc.

You've been repeating yourself without providing anything to prove your point other than fallacies.

11. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would I own one when I just explained that it´s waste of money. I have tested it and researched thoroughly about it of course and that was my conclusion.

Can it make a phone call? Can it take pictures? Can it shoot HD video? Does it have retina display? Does it have 512MB RAM? Does it have gyroscope? Can you carry around it in your pocket everywhere you go? No.

Can you play childish games with a bigger screen with it? Yes.

What can you do better with iPad (besides playing those childish games)? Please enlighten me...

If you really want to do something better than iPhone, like browse the web, shoot video or do photograpy, you will use laptop/desktop/HD video cam/systems camera...

12. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

The iPad isn't for everyone, and it obviously isn't for you mate. I reckon it all comes down to the first time someone uses it. Some people will wonder the point of this product and laugh at Stevie for calling at magical. The rest will instantly wanna buy one.

13. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Web browsing on the iPhone isn't even comparable with browsing on the iPad. The increased screen estate means I can view an entire web page without having to zoom in or press my nose up against the screen.

A larger keyboard makes emailing a breeze. I find that on the smaller iPhone screen I write small emails etc as it irritates me. With the iPad I can type much easier.

I think you're missing the point of the iPad and just pandering to the frequently used phrase 'It's just a big iPod'.

The iPad is greater than the sum of its parts.

14. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

Read my previous post.

You can´t be serious. Does different OS (full OS X by the way), physical keyboard, standalone device... say anything to you? Please think before you ask "not so wise" questions.

You must buy a laptop/desktop too, if you buy the iPad, but I guess that fact just slipped out of your mind. The iPad is not a standalone product, remember?

15. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

The faulty reasoning in OP is that the iPad is actually much cheaper than an iPhone. the cheapest unsubsidized iPhone 4, 8GB costs over $600.

16. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it could be for me, when it has something valuable for the money. For now just the bigger screen doesn´t cut it, because it´s so stripped down otherwise. I can do everything and some much more with the iPhone. It needs to have something special that the iPhone doesn´t have. That´s all I´m saying.

17. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

Well then I'll change this post. Give it time and wait for the iPad to become that full product and then buy one. Even Steve said himself that with time the iPad will slowly become more and more powerful.

18. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

I agree. Your version of the truth is not universal BobHail.

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Oh yeah. The iPad is a huge waste of money.

That's why it's Apple's biggest hit out of the gate ever.

Oh wait, it's the biggest hit ever out of the gate in the history of the electronics industry.

Next.

20. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

haha, I actually changed the post because I misunderstood the OP's tone. He was just curious, not trolly.

21. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

With the new retina display browsing the web with the iPhone is great! You don´t have to zoom or put you nose up to the screen (or if you do, you need your eyes checked). Also the new resolution shows more than enough of the web pages.

Where do you write most of your emails? At home, right? Isn´t it much more better to use a real computer with physical keyboard for that? Because you must have a computer at home too, if you have an iPad.

But I guess you have to just do it with iPad (with a littlebit less convenience), ´cause it´s magical right? :D

And I have written long emails with the iPhone, no problems!

I think you are just making excuses for the money you have wasted.

22. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

23. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

You're still not answering my question. Just made a point with nothing to back it up. If you think I'm wrong, reiterate, in different words.

Okay, so the laptop does: web surfing? Check. Listen to music? Check. Watch movies? Check. Make notes? Check. You noticed that all those things each other iOS device does as well? More to the point, those iOS devices also fulfil the duties required of them my people with lesser computing needs. My dad: does okay with just an iPhone. Someone else who uses the net more, the iPad will fit them. Someone who needs to take a lot of notes or needs the flexibility, the laptop will suit.

It's a scale: need more computing? Get something BIGGER.

Sure it is: heard of an in-store activation? Heard of buying songs via the iTunes app? Books, movies? Each iOS device can be used standalone, there are things like backup which are handy, but hardly make it a device tethered to another computer forever. My parents old 3G, got plugged in about 3 times over the 2 years they had it. Each time just for the software upgrade, which can also be done at your local apple store? See?

24. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

I'm just curious, why do you care so much what I write emails or browse the web with. If I wanna waste my money on an iPad, let me waste my money. It doesnt affect you in absolutely any way. I'm :confused:

25. BobHail thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was just saying that... Next iPad needs to have something special that the iPhone doesn´t have.