Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
You quoted the wrong post while referencing what I said? You went after exactly what I said.

And as per the not reading the conversation still. I am in no delusion about materialism. All of my posts about the iPhone being materialistic are in fact poking fun at the fact at the topic starter who rallied against materialistic people while indulging in a bit of it himself with the iPhone...

High and mighty? I really should have copied your post before you deleted it. Haha.

You absolutely are in delusion about materialism - complaining that an iphone is not needed by anyone simply because you don't need it. You're complaining that owning iphone is materialistic and that you can get a phone for $20 because he likes an iphone but doesnt see the need in an ipad.

What I said was clearly mocking the fact that people think the iphone is simply materialistic because only some people have uses for it. "It doesn't add anything to your life that could not be achieved with simpler things." Explain to me how I could guarantee 24/7 email responses for clients without an iphone? Right.

But no problem - you're right. ;)

The iPhone is also materialistic crap. It doesn't add anything to your life that could not be achieved with simpler things. If you needed a phone you can get them for $20 at a post office.

So a phone is materialistic crap? Yeah ok! :rolleyes:

The iPhone is. No more or less then an iPad. Each represents a purchase which was both not necessary, and an over indulgence.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Priceless. Hahahahaha! :D

Kinda like this: http://www.beersteak.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/get-a-brain-morans-go-usa.jpg

I have only been focusing on the side comments, because people keep bringing them up. I have been many times trying to get the original message of this thread going, but I guess people are so insecure with their iPads, so they can´t take any criticism about it, therefore they can not think anything that would make it a better product and more separate product from the iPhone. (Which is the whole point of this thread).

1. What's priceless? That I was correcting you? I don't believe anything I wrote was grammatically incorrect. No doubt something amused you.

2) No one here is insecure. We've pointed out that the iPad is not the iPhone. Your comparison is flawed logic. They can have overlap or not. Just because it doesn't meet your needs, doesn't mean it doesn't fit the bill for others. Could the iPad be better? Sure. But it doesn't need to be better than the iPhone. Or different. You posted "Next iPad needs to have something special that the iPhone doesn't" - and people have replied that they do not agree with you. If you're equating disagreement with insecurity - perhaps you should look the words up.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
You absolutely are in delusion about materialism - complaining that an iphone is not needed by anyone simply because you don't need it. You're complaining that owning iphone is materialistic and that you can get a phone for $20 because he likes an iphone but doesnt see the need in an ipad.

What I said was clearly mocking the fact that people think the iphone is simply materialistic because only some people have uses for it. "It doesn't add anything to your life that could not be achieved with simpler things." Explain to me how I could guarantee 24/7 email responses for clients without an iphone? Right.

But no problem - you're right. ;)

Hahaha you still are not reading the entire conversation...

Look at the earliest quote you just made of me there.... Do you see it? Yes! I am responding to an earlier post... Here, let me bring it all the way forward for you...

I don´t own any Britney Spears products either and still these worthless things sell millions and make people "happy", but are they truly happy? Or is it just materialistic behaviour and need to fill their empty lives? Yes, just like with iPad.

There it is! Amazing isn't it. This guy was taking the piss at people who like what he doesn't by calling them materialistic.

Do you get it now?

Or do i need to spell it out more? Ok ok, I'll do just that.

Bob: people who like iPad are materialistic.
Rob: iPhone no different then iPad in materialism. (in comes $20 phone comment, which can by the way handle email)
Bob: goes over head
Mrathee: blah blah blah, doesn't read, rants about rob not being able to afford iPhone, still doesn't read conversation to realize that Rob does own one, and used the comment of 20 dollar phones to prove that Bob himself is a materialistic empty lived sucker.

Do you want a cookie?

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Look I own an ipad. and here is the bottomline.. if i had to make a decision to sell either my 17in Macbook pro, My ipad, or my ipod touch..

The ipad would be the first thing to go. period.

Like Bob H. is saying there really isnt anything special about it, its not extremely portable as some people would like to believe... it browses the web just like my laptop, ipod and Evo.

Yes it does have a bigger screen than a phone or touch, but my laptop has and even BIGGER screen.

I dont know, ipad is a cool novelty device, that really nobody needs.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
screen than a phone or touch, but my laptop has and even BIGGER screen.

I'd argue nobody NEEDS an iPhone.

I think the iPad is a tool. And like any other device - if you use it, it's a good tool (for you). If it doesn't get used - then it's, as you say, a novelty. The question isn't whether or not someone needs it. The question is more whether or not it's useful for a specific (note the word specific) user.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

Nobody "needs" anything more than a basic utilitarian auto or an enclosed shelter with basic accommodations. How people choose to spend their money is the ultimate in subjective decision-making. The iPad sells because people find it useful. It's replaced my Kindle (which, arguably, I also didn't "need") and has mostly replaced my MBA (also didn't really "need" it because I have a MBP). I use my iPad daily, which is more than I can say for much of the technology I own. No question that I can live without, but it's certainly a useful item and I feel like I've received value for my money.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
To the OP

GLAD TO SEE YOU ARE THE BEST AT SPENDING YOUR MONEY WISELY. NOW GO SOLVE THE ECONOMIC CRISIS YOU BUMB.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
I don't believe anything I wrote was grammatically incorrect.

Then I guess there´s no hope for you. :D How embarrassing for you. :D Try to figure it out on your own or ask your english teacher.

2) No one here is insecure. We've pointed out that the iPad is not the iPhone.

Well obviously it is not, but you can make a comparison, ´cause it "basically" is. Only differences are that the iPhone has LOT MORE features and better specs than the iPad. Also the iPad has a bigger screen, but isn´t as portable as the iPhone. So basically the iPad is just bigger, but very stripped down version of the iPhone. (Which is lame I might add).

Your comparison is flawed logic. They can have overlap or not. Just because it doesn't meet your needs, doesn't mean it doesn't fit the bill for others.

It´s not about my needs. It just doesn´t meet how I value money. It needs to have something worthwhile for the money. I can afford it, but it isn´t just worthwhile.

Let´s say it also this way. If I wouldn´t own an iPhone 4 and owned a Nokia or Samsung or whatever phone, then it would be more worthwhile. But I do own the iPhone 4, which can do everything the iPad does, many things even better and many very valuable things the iPad cannot do.

Could the iPad be better? Sure.

Yes it can, a lot better! But how? Discuss the ideas you might have. That´s the point of this thread.

But it doesn't need to be better than the iPhone. Or different. You posted "Next iPad needs to have something special that the iPhone doesn't" - and people have replied that they do not agree with you. If you're equating disagreement with insecurity - perhaps you should look the words up.

Well here´s one main point where we disagree. I happen to think it needs to be better than the iPhone, if it doesn´t have some unique features that would separate it from the iPhone. Just like the 27" iMac is better in specs and features than the 21,5" iMac.

If Apple comes up with some "iPad specific (hardware) features", it will be stand out on it´s own. Bigger screen isn´t just enough for that distinction and that´s the bottom line.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Well instead of flaming OP be constructive and suggest some features you'd like to see on the next iPad?

What would you like to see to make it differ from the iPhone?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Then I guess there´s no hope for you. :D How embarrassing for you. :D Try to figure it out on your own or ask your english teacher.

Well obviously it is not, but you can make a comparison, ´cause it "basically" is. Only differences are that the iPhone has LOT MORE features and better specs than the iPad. Also the iPad has a bigger screen, but isn´t as portable as the iPhone. So basically the iPad is just bigger, but very stripped down version of the iPhone. (Which is lame I might add).

It´s not about my needs. It just doesn´t meet how I value money. It needs to have something worthwhile for the money. I can afford it, but it isn´t just worthwhile.

Let´s say it also this way. If I wouldn´t own an iPhone 4 and owned a Nokia or Samsung or whatever phone, then it would be more worthwhile. But I do own the iPhone 4, which can do everything the iPad does, many things even better and many very valuable things the iPad cannot do.

Yes it can, a lot better! But how? Discuss the ideas you might have. That´s the point of this thread.

Well here´s one main point where we disagree. I happen to think it needs to be better than the iPhone, if it doesn´t have some unique features that would separate it from the iPhone. Just like the 27" iMac is better in specs and features than the 21,5" iMac.

If Apple comes up with some "iPad specific (hardware) features", it will be stand out on it´s own. Bigger screen isn´t just enough for that distinction and that´s the bottom line.

1. No - please enlighten me. Since you like to educate people - please tell me what was incorrect about my statement which you thought was priceless.

2. They are two different devices. Period.

3. You aren't making sense. It's not about your needs? It's about value? They are directly related, are they not? When someone finds value in something it's because it meets their needs. You're saying that the iPad is a waste of money. FOR YOU. That doesn't mean the iPad is a waste of money for all.

4. Your grammar is still horrible which makes it painful to read your posts.

I know it's hard to admit when you create a thread that fails. But it happens to everyone. Accept it. This thread has failed. Your logic has failed. And your attempt to either discredit or school people in your debate of the subject has failed.

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Hahaha you still are not reading the entire conversation...

Look at the *snippity do da day*

A. The point is that you are saying the iphone is materialistic. I have read it, and I already read the comment you were replying to. The fact is that you are repeatedly saying they are materialistic.

B. no, those $20 phones don't handle email. those $20 aren't even equipped with functioning browsers. find me a $20 phone that can handle even 1 push account, let alone the 6 that I need.

C. No response about your sig's blatant description of.. nothing? Look up blatant. In fact, look up "description" while you're at it.

regardless, you're going to continue talking out of your ass. so, i'll end this post by saying that i wont be replying to your wonderfully constructed posts.

love always,
papa bear <3

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
1. No - please enlighten me. Since you like to educate people - please tell me what was incorrect about my statement which you thought was priceless.

Fine. Your quote: "You also have a lot to learn about debate. And grammar."

Corrected: "You also have a lot to learn about debate and grammar."

"Debate" should also be "debating", but this I´m not sure about myself. Maybe you know,´cause your such a language expert?

It´s just funny when you are policing other people´s grammar (whose main language isn´t english by the way) and at the same time your own grammar is just as bad.

2. They are two different devices. Period.

Yes two different devices with both having the same OS, touchscreen, same home button etc...

Just remember that the iPhone has lot more actually very useful features and better specs. Can you admit that yet?

3. You aren't making sense. It's not about your needs? It's about value? They are directly related, are they not? When someone finds value in something it's because it meets their needs. You're saying that the iPad is a waste of money. FOR YOU. That doesn't mean the iPad is a waste of money for all.

No. I´m saying iPad is waste of money for anyone who already owns a laptop or the iPhone. That´s why it needs to have something special that only the iPad would have. Right now it doesn´t have that, except the bigger touchscreen, but that isn´t enough, especially when all the other features have been stripped.

But people waste money everyday, so why do you get so angry about it when I say you´ve wasted money? Is it because you know in your heart that it´s true and just can´t admit it?

4. Your grammar is still horrible which makes it painful to read your posts.

I know it's hard to admit when you create a thread that fails. But it happens to everyone.

Yours too, I boldened another example again when you were criticising my grammar. Oh how sweet it is to see you embarrassing yourself. :D

Accept it. This thread has failed. Your logic has failed. And your attempt to either discredit or school people in your debate of the subject has failed.

No, you accept that I have a valid point and a strong opinion. No matter how many times childisly you write "failed", doesn´t kill that opinion and a valid criticism.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Fine. Your quote: "You also have a lot to learn about debate. And grammar."

Corrected: "You also have a lot to learn about debate and grammar."

"Debate" should also be "debating", but this I´m not sure about myself. Maybe you know,´cause your such a language expert?

It´s just funny when you are policing other people´s grammar (whose main language isn´t english by the way) and at the same time your own grammar is just as bad.

Yes two different devices with both having the same OS, touchscreen, same home button etc...

Just remember that the iPhone has lot more actually very useful features and better specs. Can you admit that yet?

No. I´m saying iPad is waste of money for anyone who already owns a laptop or the iPhone. That´s why it needs to have something special that only the iPad would have. Right now it doesn´t have that, except the bigger touchscreen, but that isn´t enough, especially when all the other features have been stripped.

But people waste money everyday, so why do you get so angry about it when I say you´ve wasted money? Is it because you know in your heart that it´s true and just can´t admit it?

Yours too, I boldened another example again when you were criticising my grammar. Oh how sweet it is to see you embarrassing yourself. :D

No, you accept that I have a valid point and a strong opinion. No matter how many times childisly you write "failed", doesn´t kill that opinion and a valid criticism.

Now I'm the one laughing. None of your "corrections" are, in fact, correct. What I wrote is 100 percent correct. Even funnier is your continued use of poor grammar. So go ahead (if it pleases you) to laugh at my correct usage of words and sentence structure. You're only looking like an ass for it.

I'm done replying to you though after this. Why? Because you debate poorly. You also don't have a clue whether I am "angry" or not. I'm not. And if you bothered to read my posts, you'd know that I originally had no intention and was very much against the idea of the iPad - until I used one. And now I find it incredibly useful. You don't see value (even though you don't own one) - fine. It's a matter of personal use case. I think you have a hard time admitting that you might be in the extreme minority on this one. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. But nothing I've said has been wrong. it's been my personal use case.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
this is just like a two BMW models..

335i = iphone 4
135i = ipad

you said stripped out.. ok. but the 135i is much nimble and faster than the 335i.

the cost? 335i is a lot expensive than 135i

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
this is just like a two BMW models..

335i = iphone 4
135i = ipad

you said stripped out.. ok. but the 135i is much nimble and faster than the 335i.

Actually the iPhone is more nimble and faster than the iPad.

the cost? 335i is a lot expensive than 135i

Of course it is Sherlock, ´cause it´s a much much better device. In fact, iPhone should be twice the price as the iPad, it´s that much better.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Actually the iPhone is more nimble and faster than the iPad.

Of course it is Sherlock, ´cause it´s a much much better device. In fact, iPhone should be twice the price as the iPad, it´s that much better.

First: you're flat out wrong. The iPhone is SLOWER than the iPad. Just because the processor has the capability to be faster, doesn't mean it is. Device speed depends on a ton of factors, including hardware output, ram, etc. Not to mention the fact that the ip4 processor is severely limited to enable the best battery life.

Second: the "should be" price point doesn't really have any basis. Much like the rest of your posts.

The outright cost of a 16gb iphone is higher than the cost of the lowest model ipad (lowest model because the specs essentially are the same as ip4)

The $200 price point subsidized, and is not the actual price of the phone.

ip4 outright is roughly $850 while the ipad is $499. (Now it may be tough for you to do the math here, but 850 > 499)

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas

I have both, and personally, I don't use my iPhone nearly as much as my iPad. Aside from phone calls, I'd have a hard time doing everything with the iPhone I do with the iPad. The screen size makes more than enough of a difference that having a choice, I pick the iPad every time.

BobHail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2009
Really could you provide benchmarks which show such other than offer conjecture, and we will provide you with the benchmarks that show the iPad is still faster than the iPhone 4.

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/2...3gs-and-slower-than-ipad-in-early-benchmarks/

You must have been very hungry today from all the feedings were giving you.

Weird, same processor and the other one is faster. Looks like Apple is deceiving their customers. At least iPhone has double the RAM.

iPhone is also faster and nimble in the sense that you can pull it out of your pocket in a second to check out something. Try pulling your iPad from the backbag. Personally I don´t like walking around with a backbag either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.