Next iPhone 5 battery mah?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sone3D, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Sone3D macrumors member

Sone3D

Wirelessly posted

Will the next iPhone 5 battery be up to 2100 mah or even more. What do you think?

This is for me the killer feature more than other hardware specs.

At least I wait battery to equals the SG3.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

If that is true, that is like shooting themselves in the foot.

4. Sone3D thread starter macrumors member

Sone3D

Wirelessly posted

Is not 1440 mah the actual 4S battery capacity?

5. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Word on the Jersey Shore says over 9k, proof:

[​IMG]

6. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

My understanding is that the iPhone 4 battery was 1420mAh, and the iPhone 4S battery is 1432mAh. Given the negligible increase between those two, we should not be surprised by 1440mAh in the next iPhone. As excited as I am for the iPhone 5, I will not purchase a phone with a non-removable battery at only 1440mAh. I'm thinking they are going to do much better than that. So is ZDNet.

From ZDNet: Could the iPhone 5 push Li-Ion batteries to their limit?
    "The iPhone 5 battery is going to have to be notably bigger than its predecessor..."

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Agreed. Lte with that small of a battery would be atrocious the s3 has 2100, I believe, and doesn't get through a day

8. fins831 macrumors 6502a

smaller dock connector, new nano-Sim space, smaller LTE radio (new qualcomm ones), thinner screen according to rumor so it will be more efficient, so any gains will be offset by LTE....however if you don't use LTE should see a noticeable improvement because they will fill all that space with more battery....I am guessing 1700+

9. fins831 macrumors 6502a

The s3 isn't using the new LTE radios that the new Iphone is going to have, its smaller and more power efficient, don't know exact numbers, but better is better especially when dealing with LTE....any batt gain is a +

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Good to know. New Lte towers?

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I'll say 1700 mAh or 1800 mAh.

Either way, no way Apple will release an iPhone with a lower talk time than the previous generation, so I don't think it matters.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Take a look at the dramatic jump in battery capacity from the iPad 2 to the iPad 3 while still maintaining roughly the same size and shape:

iPad 2: 6944 mAH
    iPad 3: 11666 mAH

I'd imagine something similar from the new iPhone. Apple has really been pushing the battery R&D field to get into gear (easily the biggest factor keeping us from utilizing alternative energy as a viable alternative to fossil fuels).

13. Indy21 macrumors 6502

I really hope they make the battery last much longer than any other mobile device they've released to date and over the competition. Would be a great thing.

----------

Yeah but I just hope that it's not "the same" as the iPhone 4s or a mere hour longer or something really insignificant. I want to get atleast a day possibly 2 without charging and heavy use, I know, probably not going to happen.:rolleyes:

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Blame Broadcom and Qualcomm for making such energy wasting 4G radios....

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

It's all compromise right. To get something you have to give.

I'm not into that whole "Look how anorexic my brand X phone is" mind set.

If the iPhone 5 has a 4" display with the same thickness as the iPhone 4S and its jammed packed with battery power for a 10 hour + talk time, I'm okay with that.

But then you have no shortage of internet experts that will say the iPhone 5 is too heavy for their slovenly World of Warcraft loving physiques.

It's always something.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I'd expect Apple to make the new battery powerful enough to keep the talk/ browsing/ overall usage times about the same (or slightly superior) to what we're currently used to, but no more than that.

As I've posted elsewhere, most people are accustomed to charging their phone nightly. So long as that is the case, Apple has little reason to dramatically improve battery life.

Let the phone last, with decent-heavy usage, a full day, nothing more. Instead of increasing the battery size to more than that, I'd rather they used the extra space to enable more features or to make the phone more powerful overall.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Do a little digging on Apple's lithium-polymer battery patents guys. ;)

18. hifromtomorrow macrumors member

hifromtomorrow

ha!

19. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Here's a good read. Thanks for the lead, NT1440.

20. Sone3D thread starter macrumors member

Sone3D

Wirelessly posted

Even with more mah, due to hardware requeriments, same duration will be an error.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Some real interesting stuff, eh? :p

Seriously, if anyone wants to see the future of devices, look at the patents....just another side note, take a look at Apple's physical touchscreen ideas ;)

22. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

We really need a bigger battery for the iPhone 5, lower than 1500mah is no point because it's going to need so much more power to run the new cpu !

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

...No.

CPU's tend to get more power efficient as they shrink, its the GPU that tends to hog all the power. Take a look at Koomey's Law though, soon enough power requirements are going to be nearly an afterthought in our electronics.

Trivia: If an i5 2012 macbook air had the same power requirements of a 1992 intel chip, rather than getting the 7-10 hours we have today, the battery would be dead in two seconds. Power usage has dropped and will continue to drop dramatically as we continue with Moore's Law & Kooney's Law.

Truly an exciting time to be alive.

24. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

If recent leaked photo's of the iPhone 5 battery are for real, it looks like chambone was right. 1440 mAh would be a deal breaker for me :cool: