Next iPhone comming June 22

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Clues all around.

It's also almost 2 years since the first iPhone 4 came out, and its look-alike sister is just that, a look alike (sure it sounds better, but sounds don't kill like "looks could kill").

June 22 is a Tuesday too. :p

When do YOU think it will come out?

EDIT:
Forgot to mention.
Why does everyone think it has to have iOS 6?

Edit 2:
I wrote a better post, but mods locked them because ONE of the supporting evidence I used had its own thread, apparently. I could have modified it, but they did not reply.

June 22 is almost exactly 2 years for iPhone 4,

Last edited:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Clues all around.

It's also almost 2 years since the first iPhone 4 came out, and its look-alike sister is just that, a look alike (sure it sounds better, but sounds don't kill like "looks could kill").

When do YOU think it will come out.
Maybe you should get in line outside your nearest Apple store just in case. ;)

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Lol, Nooooooo way of that happening.

How in the world are developers going to test their apps for iOS 6 in 2 weeks after the June 11th release date of Beta 1? :/ They have to go through a lot of betas.

Its doubtful the new iPhone will ship with iOS 5.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Clues all around.

When do YOU think it will come out.

I am guessing this is because Apple is offering pre-paid on this date you think the new phone is going to be on that date too? I am just going to wait until the WWDC happens before jumping to conclusions.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
....I am just going to wait until the WWDC happens before jumping to conclusions.
But you DO plan on jumping to conclusions, right? :p

I'm not concerned. I'm perfectly happy with my 4s right now, so I don't really care when the next model comes out. Of course I'll still get one, but I'm not hitting refresh on apple.com/iphone with my eyes pried open à la A Clockwork Orange.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Same here, I was happy with my 4 too, but upgraded to the 4S only because my wife's 3G was dying so we upgraded my account.

If it comes out I might upgrade my wife's account anyway, just so we can have a spare or maybe sell the 4. It depends what she wants to do.

BTW, I made a jump to conclusions mat, I am hoping to make a million dollars on it.

But you DO plan on jumping to conclusions, right? :p

I'm not concerned. I'm perfectly happy with my 4s right now, so I don't really care when the next model comes out. Of course I'll still get one, but I'm not hitting refresh on apple.com/iphone with my eyes pried open à la A Clockwork Orange.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
When we see Tim Cook holding it on stage.
Yeup, where he will say its coming June 22

Maybe you should get in line outside your nearest Apple store just in case. ;)
Good idea!
Can you give me $600? Thanks.

Lol, Nooooooo way of that happening.

How in the world are developers going to test their apps for iOS 6 in 2 weeks after the June 11th release date of Beta 1? :/ They have to go through a lot of betas.

Its doubtful the new iPhone will ship with iOS 5.
Why not? iPhone 5, iOS 5, match made in heaven!

I am guessing this is because Apple is offering pre-paid on this date you think the new phone is going to be on that date too? I am just going to wait until the WWDC happens before jumping to conclusions.
NOT the prepaid, the BIG discount on the phones.
The same kind of discount Apple does on its old models.

Hi, my name is Tim Cook. And you are hilarious!

Get a load of this one Scott, he thinks he knows the release date more than we do!
Everyone loves a comedian, maybe I get an invite?

Darthdingo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2010
Or can Apple show off the new iPhone at the big event on June 11th, just say coming this Fall, but have the device to show to press only, and say it is not 100% final yet, but at least can show off the design and new screen, etc... ?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Or can Apple show off the new iPhone at the big event on June 11th, just say coming this Fall, but have the device to show to press only, and say it is not 100% final yet, but at least can show off the design and new screen, etc... ?
It is unlikely because that would mean current iPhone 4S sales would drastically drop. I would, however, keep this in mind: they could announce both iOS 6 and an 'iPhone 5'. They could settle with, for example, a late July launch or early August launch. In the meantime, developers can adjust their apps for iOS 6 (and perhaps the bigger display in the next-gen iPhone (if it gets a bigger display).

I could see them settling with a late July launch: it gives them time to create a lot of next-gen iPhones without worrying about leaks, while at the same time developers can adjust their apps for the (possible) bigger display. A late July launch (or early August) would also mean that they would only lose one month of iPhone 4S sales. The iPhone 3G was announced on June 9, 2008 and was launched on July 13, 2008 - that's over a month delay, so it is possible they will do this again.

ccapman670

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
New Orleans / Baton Rouge
I was hearing not till next fall but I really hope it's this summer. I've been saving my upgrade for a while as I didn't want to go from the 4 to the 4S only to have the 5 come out a few months later!

plainwhitetay

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
North-east, Indiana
How do the announcements usually go? Are iOS and hardware usually together or separate?

I'm predicting iOS 6 is announced, and release of betas, at WWDC, with the final iOS 6 being released and shipped with the new iPhones in the fall. Maybe late summer if we're really lucky! ;)

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
It is unlikely because that would mean current iPhone 4S sales would drastically drop. I would, however, keep this in mind: they could announce both iOS 6 and an 'iPhone 5'. They could settle with, for example, a late July launch or early August launch. In the meantime, developers can adjust their apps for iOS 6 (and perhaps the bigger display in the next-gen iPhone (if it gets a bigger display).

I could see them settling with a late July launch: it gives them time to create a lot of next-gen iPhones without worrying about leaks, while at the same time developers can adjust their apps for the (possible) bigger display. A late July launch (or early August) would also mean that they would only lose one month of iPhone 4S sales. The iPhone 3G was announced on June 9, 2008 and was launched on July 13, 2008 - that's over a month delay, so it is possible they will do this again.
I don't think you would see a vast drop in sales. There has always been a new iPhone released every year, and the 4S is at least halfway through it's cycle - buyers know that an updated model will be coming in a few months. In any event it makes no difference to Apple - either a 4S or the new iPhone, it's still a sale.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in regards to the release date. An announcement at WWDC with a launch in July/August would give ample time for iOS 6 to go through beta and for developers to rework their apps for the longer screen (given that that would be a pretty drastic change over previous years).

Sensamic

macrumors 68030
Mar 26, 2010
There has not even been BETAS of iOS 6 so who do you expect it to be release on June?

Betas of iOS 6 will come out on WWDC, then a couple of months for the developers to test out and THEN the new iPhone will come out.

The new iPhone won't come out with iOS 5.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I don't think you would see a vast drop in sales. There has always been a new iPhone released every year, and the 4S is at least halfway through it's cycle - buyers know that an updated model will be coming in a few months. In any event it makes no difference to Apple - either a 4S or the new iPhone, it's still a sale.
I understand what you mean, but I think most buyers won't be that up-to-date. If Apple announces a new iPhone, almost every media outlet is going to report on it and everybody will know. I think that now only those who really follow Apple, know about the leaked iPhone 5/6 parts.

I think you've hit the nail on the head in regards to the release date. An announcement at WWDC with a launch in July/August would give ample time for iOS 6 to go through beta and for developers to rework their apps for the longer screen (given that that would be a pretty drastic change over previous years).
Well, I'm not quite sure yet. Right now all I am really assuming is that WWDC will feature iOS 6 and a September/October event will feature the next-generation iPhone. All we are doing is speculating and I really hope we are right (next-gen iPhone announcement during WWDC), but I'm not too sure just yet. Apple is so unpredictable right now (because they changed their whole product schedule in 2011).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.