Next iPhone Curved back like iPad 2/iPhone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Joybulb, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

When people talk about the supposed design of the next IPhone, and refer to the possible curved back that we've seen mock-ups of on various sites, people often say a curved back would be going backwards to the previous iPhone designs. Why isn't anyone comparing a new curved back design to the current gen iPad design. A design similar to iPad 2 would make sense. Using an aluminum body instead of the stainless one would eliminate the scratching issues that plagued the previous iPhones and the iPod touches.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hope that it doesn't have a curved back. I prefer a flat one like the iPhone 4, it doesn't wobble while on a table.

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Personally I think the iPhone 5 will be taking design cues from the iPad 2. It only seems logical since it'll look different from previous iPhone models, it'll be easier to hold with the slight curves on the edge, it'll lay flat, and it'll unify the iPhone and iPad in terms of basic look (and I'll bet the iPod touch takes a similar design too).

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I thought that was the only way people were imagining the curved edges would look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

Yes I've seen these pics, but everything ive read is comparing these mock ups to the previous gen iPhones and saying it would be going backwards. I'm saying that it's not going backwards, that it's basing design off the iPad 2, which is fine with me.

6. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If it's that damned tapered designed it wouldn't be going backwards, it would be going to hell. (why does that horrid pic keep cropping up?)

7. ajones46 macrumors 6502

Yeah, i'll take it as just a thicker, current generation iPod Touch. Flat, but curved edges. No taper please and thank you.

8. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

Well, you know, my first requirement in a new phone is that it be able to slice cheese. :rolleyes:

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I'm pretty damn sure that the iPhone 5 will have a back very similar, if not exactly like the iPad2. The backs of the 3G era were horrible. I haven't heard any rumors of the back being like the 3G. That design is dead. Don't even sweat it for a second. The new iphone (no matter what the design) will have an aluminum back that lays totally flat.

10. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Seriously? The iP3g/s feel infinitely better in the hand than the iP4, and whole hell of a lot more secure feeling as well.

11. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm with you on that one. The tapered, wedge design looks absolutely terrible for a phone (actually, I don't like it for the MBA either, but that's for a different time).

Well if people can use the MacBook Air as a knife at home, they need something portable to cut their food on the go.

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I too have been oddly frustrated by people not mentioning that it looks as if the iphone 5 will finally look like the little brother to the iPad 2. The speculative cases that are now everywhere plus the mockups that go along with these cases all look like small iPad 2s, but its like everyone just ignores this fact and decides to compare it to the original iPhone or a samsung device.:confused:

At the moment(eventhough its a great chance that all these rumors may be false), one can only assume Apple is trying to unify the look of the two products. My guess is that by doing this, it sells the idea of a unified OS. The whole iCloud thing looks a alot more attractive when the devices look like they actually belong together unlike now.

Dont get wrong, I love the lok of the iPhone 5, but other than the Apple TV, it is the only device that looks as if it doesnt beloing. Its time to bring the look home.

13. Joybulb thread starter macrumors regular

Joybulb

I wouldn't mind the tapered

14. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

It would be very uncomfortable to hold and very awkward in landscape

15. outlawarth macrumors regular

Exaclty. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I don't want to see this damn taper from top to bottom.

16. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

I know, it's horrible. Some concepts exaggerate way too much.

I see the iPhone 5 taking on the same role the iPhone 3G/3GS had, same design as iPhone 4 (to keep the case manufacturers happy) but drastic improvement on hardware.

17. tomtom101 macrumors regular

As long as apple stay away from plastic as a material I'm happy!

My 3G looked nice when it was new, but after a year being mine, and me being pretty reckless with it, the plastic looked absolutely sh**!!! Grant, a smashed glass back isnt much better (Hello iphone 4), But i have to say, the iPhone 4 did look a lot more modern and trendy than its predecessors!!

But, this is just a taught, apples ipods lines left the 3rd Gen Nano get a new look and shape, and then the 4th gen went back to a more reminiscent look of the first ipod nanos, so its not unlike apple to take inspiration from the original device! So Hello aluminium back!!! ;)

18. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

True, the iPhone 4 is definitely the most beautiful iPhone yet. But i'd rather use my smartphones than stare at them.

My iPhone 3G lasted well quite a few falls, and feels much better to hold than an iPhone 4.
    A glass smartphone? LOL, i can't believe Apple even produced such a device, but i guess all the negativity speaks for itself.

I'd take anything, other than glass.
    Here's hoping for Liquid Metal.

But i do believe that the iPhone 5 will be a mix of the iPhone 3G and iPad 2 design wise. Maybe we can see a rounded edge, but a flatter back design.

Either way, it has to be more ergonomic than the iPhone 4.

I'm siding with MacRumor's concept, i really hope it comes true.

19. CKAllison macrumors newbie

Oh Please Please PLEASE let this be the case! I never thought I'd miss my old 3G, but after a few months of using the 4 I frequently wished I hadn't upgraded. I think the brick shape is aesthetically more pleasing, but much less comfortable to hold for texting/internet surfing, and the phone is downright painful to hold up to my ear for hours. I still have my old 3G, and I held it the other day to compare--and it's MUCH more comfortable and aligns better with the curvature of my hand. I feel like I am in the minority here, but I really wish they would bring the curved design back.

20. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I really hope the iPhone 5 has a back similar to the 3G. Whenever I use my Dad's old iPhone it feels so much nicer in my hand than my 4S.

21. SR45, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Using an aluminum body (Mentioned by OP) may very well mess up the antenna reception and that is a non starter. Reason why the other cell phone makers and Apples iPhone are not Aluminum. One of the Tablets just out had a metal back and messed up the GPS signal, so its back to the drawing board for that one, link below.....

Transformer Prime GPS issues

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/23/asus-transformer-prime-gps/

"The common theory prior to the update stated that the Prime’s metal back plate was interfering with the GPS radio. That could still be the case but it seems less likely now that satellite information is provided by a data connection."

Forum member Saving7 showed a picture of a mock up or Photoshop of a iPhone (white one) and I really like it.

22. DankNugz macrumors regular

You can get the iPad 2 with 3G service(ATT/Verizon/Sprint) and it has no problems getting reception.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I wouldn't mind seeing a curved back on the iPhone "5". I typically have my 4S in a case, but when I don't I find it somewhat uncomfortable to hold. Not really that important to me so I'd be fine with the current 4/4S design or something more like an older iPhone.

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You also realize that this design already came out - the first iPhone.

iPad 2

[​IMG]

See the black? That's so the antenna can get a signal. Curious why Apple would step BACK to the first gen design?

25. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Just to further enhance the point, that was the point of the black bar at the bottom of the first iPhone; it allowed the cellular signal to escape without any issue.

Attached Files: