Next iPhone display: how are apps going to render?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrismarle, Aug 3, 2012.

1. chrismarle macrumors 6502

We all know (from rumors) that the next iPhone going to have a taller display (4'') with a resolution of 1136x640. By making it simply taller, the aspect ratio changes now. This means that apps will look differently on that new display. Apps like twitter, Facebook, browsers or other general apps are simply looking longer showing more of the content. However, how will games look like?

I did two fast rendering of the actual build of Angry Birds for iPhone to show how games are going to look like on that new display.

The first one is the game being centered on the display. Note: It's not pixel perfect, made it only to look centered.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjac0m/7708193562

The second one is a rendering of the game being stretched to fill the entire 1136x640 display while having 960x640 graphics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjac0m/7708195886

So, which one would you like Apple choose? Having a game centered with black sides but having a game pixel perfect or would you like the game to be stretched to fill the entire display?

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Developers will work around it swiftly and make graphics suited towards the bigger display. The transition to 'Retina' was bigger than this. In the meantime I'll assume that all current applications will just stretch to fit the new display.

3. chrismarle thread starter macrumors 6502

The transition to Retina was easier: it's just pixel doubled without any aspect ratio change.

I know that devs will update their apps to take advantage of the bigger display but I'm talking about existing games.

4. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Very simple for free version of apps. Just add iAd on top of their paid version.

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

There will be letter boxing on top and bottom (or left and right) of the games. When the game is updated, it will fill the entire screen. Apps that use built in UI APIs will need little or no updates.

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Hrm, the one that looks decent or the one that looks like crap - which to choose, which to choose...

8. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

from what I heard they told people at the apple even in July, just went about it in a different way. I had an app developer give me an example how and what was covered. If I can find an example I will post it.

9. audix macrumors regular

You will need TWO hands for access to the notification center now. :eek:

10. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Wait! What will the keyboard look like in landscape mode!?:eek::confused:

11. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

The same, the taller screen will provide no benefit to landscape mode. Note that I removed the grey toolbar from the pict above. If they decide to include this toolbar, the keyboard would need to be squished down making the keys thinner. Whatever the case, landscape mode will continue to be useless for writing anything.

Attached Files: