Next iPhone in fall: will that hurt Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gtgrad95, Feb 21, 2012.

1. gtgrad95 macrumors 6502

With the latest rumor that we may not expect the next iPhone until fall, I am wondering why. I'm surprised that Apple would actually wait till Sept/Oct to release the next version. The current version is only 3G, not even 4G. Android 4G has been out for a while, so Apple is already behind the curve. I also believe some of the Android handsets already support LTE as well. It's amazing that they continue to sell phones at the pace that they are with their technology being 2 years behind.

I'm a huge Apple fan and have owned all the iPhones (currently have a 4), but I played with my buddy's Galaxy SII and I have to admit it is a really nice phone. Apple needs to step it up quickly if they want to continue to stay competetive with the hard charge from Android and Windows. They are running on dialup in a broadband environment. How come people continue to overlook this?

2. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

I think Apple prides themselves on getting it right the first time rather than getting it out first. I use to complain just like you but if you think about it when was the last time you had a major issue/bug with your OS? I recently discovered i had the contacts bug with me new iphone 4S and that has been the first time in YEARS that i have ever experienced and issue with apple. Luckly i fix the contacts bug myself so all is well again.

I did have the Galaxy Nexus and like i have posted before the phone was fun. The speeds on the phone are amazing but the battery sucks. The battery was only lasting me like 4 hours. I can't charge my phone at work so i had to return the phone. Even the extended battery wouldn't last all day.

3. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

For the first time, Apple's iPhone was ranked #2 behind an Android phone. I'm not going to act like a fanboy because that doesn't help my case.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple was never one to "Step up quickly". They introduce products at their own pace and there will be lines as far as you could see waiting to buy!

Most people do not live near where there is 4G or LTE and will wait for the next year till the carriers like AT&T even cover half their service area with real 4G.

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It won't hurt Apple because Apple prides itself on being the best phone, not the experimental guinea pig.

Apple is about to show us some magic.

Don't the 4G phones still have 3G though? Because I knew that 4G isn't really saturated in the USA. I couldn't get it.

6. derickdub macrumors 6502

I don't really think 4g/LTE is going to hurt them. At least not for another few years. Yes, quite a few Android phones are 4G or LTE capable, but 4G networks are readily available like 3G is now. Frankly, there is not much of a point in buying a 4G phone now. If you do you're wasting money and precious battery life until all its flaws can be worked out and the network goes mainstream. At least in a majority of areas, as there are a few with 4G up and running.

Where I live, I have the fastest network speeds with the iPhone 4S on AT&T's HSPA+ network. Until 4G is widely available around here and anywhere else I travel and I can use my phone for more than 6 hours with it, I'm not buying a 4G phone.

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I have several questions/comments for this:

With this "latest rumor": Has it really hurt their sales so far? If not, then why would it hurt them in the future? If so, I'd love to read up on it, as I apparently am uneducated in the matter, despite attempting to remain in the loop about all things Apple.

In regards to your comments about the SGSII: I'm quite positive that Apple is not worried about a phone that in my experience does not last even half as long as the iPhone 4S.

In regards to your saying "Apple needs to step it up": Look at the previous generations of the iPhone. Have they not all been greatly improved in some way or another?
    -The iPhone 3G brought greater network performance and a new form factor and a bigger battery.
    -The iPhone 3GS brought a massive upgrade in hardware speed, even better network performance, and a digital compass.
    -The iPhone 4 brought a new design, DOUBLE the screen resolution, an even faster processor, and again even better network performance. Then they brought that same great iPhone 4 to some CDMA carriers.
    -Now with the iPhone 4S, they brought a dual core processor, a better camera, and yet again greater network performance for GSM, which caters to a much greater market than just CDMA. They also completely streamlined their production process, now only having to make six versions of the iPhone 4S via the Qualcomm unified CDMA/GSM chip, versus the eight versions of the iPhone 4 that they had to make(GSM/CDMA, White/Black, 16GB/32GB).

Source?

8. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

Every new iPhone release is a "big event." The Samsung commercials make fun of it, but it's true, and it's a big plus for Apple. If they release the phones too close to each other, they will start to lose their big event feel. Some people upgrade every phone, and they likely wouldn't do that just 8 or 9 months apart, as opposed to a full year.

For me personally, I skipped the 4S, so I would love the 5 to come back to July, but I don't see it happening.

9. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

10. 4sFanatic macrumors regular

I stopped reading after I found ur first sentence too foolish to continue.
    Do you have any iphones or are you new?
    Did you miss antenna gate, battery gate, immediate updates to fixed stuff not working, icloud?
    These guys hardly ever get it right the first time, and I find it laughable that some guys would actually post such nonsence "getting it rt the 1st time" my tailfeathers :rolleyes:

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

samsung is just jealous that their "a-new-device-every-two-weeks" don't create a stir and droves of paying customers.

I don't care when the 5 comes out. I'm enjoying my 4s right now.

12. MonkeySee...., Feb 21, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

What Android phone was that??...................

Samsung GSII? really. I don't believe it.

13. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Me either.

I'm not sure if that's a pity ranking or what. But as is stands, the Samsung Galaxy S2 beat the iPhone 4S.

14. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I wanted to stop reading after your first sentence was almost a direct attack on the poster you quoted.

Any way, all of those so-called "problems" you reference are small, isolated incidents that affect less than or equal to 1% of all of the iPhone users.

I find it laughable that "some users" would even make such a big deal out of something that the overwhelming majority doesn't even know or care about.

Perhaps according to their analysts, but what do consumers say?

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Well one guy likes it atleast.

16. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Pity ranking.

To consumers, it's quite obvious what the better phone is. The media is widely known to be malicious.

I think some of you have some serious pride issues though, because you care too much about your phone, I hope your keyboard keys are still intact.

I just come here for humor and entertainment, and to help people. But I think we should all just take a break, go on a stay-cation and enjoy the phones instead of talking about them.

Good idea?

17. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Possibly. I ask the questions I ask merely to help spur the debate a little while trying to give some insight and my own opinion.

18. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

19. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

2010 was the year of the iPhone 4, the HTC EVO, the Droid Incredible, and the MyTouch 3G. All single-core 1GHz Processors or less. The iPhone 4S is leaps and bounds ahead of that. Heck, the first dual core phone to come to US Market was the Motorola Atrix and that didn't even come out until late February/early March of 2011.

20. barryl85 macrumors regular

I dont think it will hurt them as people will still rush out and buy but they will lose out on some business.

I myself am on a 24 month contract with my iPhone 4 and I am eligible to upgrade after 23 months which is June 2012 - that gives me around 3 months time between my contract ending and the next iPhone coming out, plenty time to check out the competition and maybe jump ship.

I swore when I got my iPhone 4 i'd never own a different brand of mobile phone but now I can see me at least looking around. I dont see a lot of people who are in the same situation waiting on the next iPhone unless like me they are fans.

21. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I'm just wondering why the current state of the forum is debating what is/was the best phone instead of talking about the phone itself.

I remember the rush when the iPhone was first introduced- watching unboxings, discovering new features, it's very different now. It's not even fun. It's kind of scary.

And with the constantly waiting for the NEXT phone...

"I'm not going to buy an iPhone 4 because I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. (iPhone 5 comes out) I'm not going to buy an iPhone 5 because I'm waiting for the iPhone 6..." Well, I guess that's the cheap way of doing it.

People are spending $1,000+ a year on phones! That's lunacy.

Are you bored with the phones or something?

22. barryl85 macrumors regular

I am bored with my iPhone 4 its not a crime.

I'm not upgrading to a 4S because its the same phone with a better camera.

I want a game changer, hopefully the next iPhone delivers.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Probably due to this post:
    I'm not sure what your point is. Are people not buying phones or are they spending $1,000+ a year on phones? Which is it?

24. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Actually since most yearly buyers resell their old phones before they buy the newest, the loss year over year is usually less than buying on contract, if not a negative loss, which would be a gain. Also, they would only have to do this every other year, which would mean that selling their older model every year would make up any loss from the year before hand.

25. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

It doesn't matter. It's your/their money.

I have contributed to some of the antagonism, and animosity concerning the phones like a bad habit- but I'm going to stop. I get no enjoyment from constantly defending a phone against another phone. Especially one that does not interest me. It gets even worse when this silliness spills over into real life.

And what's more is you cannot delete these posts. It's archived forever, just sitting there waiting for you to come back and see just how stupid you once were.