Next iPhone is iPhone 6, not 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by irDigital0l, Apr 10, 2013.

1. irDigital0l Guest

iPad 3 to iPad 4 upgrades:
    -New processor (A6X chip)
    -New wireless (Expanded LTE and faster Wi-Fi)
    -New camera (FaceTime HD)
    -New connector (Lightning)

The iPad 4 was really a silent update so instead of calling it the new iPad, Apple called it the iPad (4th generation). People think that in order for it to be a whole number, it has to be redesigned (ex. iPhone 4, iPad 2). But as seen in the iPad 3 to iPad 4, they were both the same design with some upgrades and it was enough for Apple to call it the iPad 4.

iPhone 5 to iPhone 5S upgrades:
    -New processor (A6X/A7 chip)
    -New wireless (LTE world phone and 802.11 ac Wi-Fi)
    -New camera (13MP iSight camera and new optics)
    -Some new feature like Fingerprint Sensor, iOS 7, etc.

So based on the iPad 3 to iPad 4 model, doesn't the iPhone 5S or at least its rumored specs make it ok for it to be called the iPhone 6 from the iPhone 5?

I could care less about the name/number, but its interesting to see what Apple did with the iPad 3/4.

2. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Well since we don't know the actual specs I'd say we can't really be sure what kind of upgrade it will be.

3. cyks, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S upgrade:
    -New processor (A4/ A5 chip)
    -New wireless (GSM or CDMA / World phone supporting both GSM and CDMA, much faster data capabilities, Bluetooth upgrade)
    -New camera (5MP/ 8MP and 720p video / 1080p video)
    -Some new feature - Siri

Seems comparable to me.

Also, there has never been an 'S' model for the iPad, so it's not something you can compare to or go by... while there have now been 2 'S' models for the iPhone.

4. irDigital0l thread starter Guest

Yea but that before the iPad 3 to iPad 4.

My point, look at how Apple marketed the iPad 4.

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I'm hoping for different screen size devices? Well I can dream of a 3.5" device.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Unfortunately there is more evidence that it will be an "S" phone simply because its the pattern that we have seen this far. I think the S is a pretty stupid dostinguishing factor, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, does it really matter? They could call it the roastedmallow, but it would still be whatever it's going to be. The name isn't going to change the hardware inside.

7. maxosx macrumors 68020

iPhone 5X, I'm a buyer.

I don't give a flip what they call it as long as one version has a larger display as suggested in this rumor:

The iPhone 5X... perfect, I'm a buyer.

Otherwise, oh well there's just no point anymore. Too tiny.

My iPad Mini is a better smartphone without the phone that I don't use anyway.

Edit:Oops.. link was wrong, here's the correct rumor :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57578735-37/apples-hazy-big-screen-iphone-ambitions/

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

So you want a 6" iPhone then? What exactly are you going to do with a big screen iPhone that you don't do on an iPad Mini now bar have cellular voice? Just curious. I would love fot a 3.5" and 5" or what ever device be launched as I will be happy.
    But I think you have stated why they won't, you want a bigger screen iphone when you can already buy one, if you see what I mean?

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Pretty much everything I do on an iPad mini is easier done on said iPad than said phone. I'm not saying I want a tablet as my phone, but I see where this guy is coming from. I still prefer my phone, for the sake of portability, but to those that consume lots of media, do tons of web browsing, etc, I can see a more tablet sized device to be desirable. If it helps, it's a bit like comparing a big screen tv to something in the 20-inch range. You can watch the same great content on both.

10. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Good analogy, I guess bar the obvious media and browsing, if they could make a 5" iPhone run the iPad version of iOS it would be good, then keep a 3.5" device with the iPhone version of iOS, I just miss the smaller screen after having my iPhone 5, give me the exact same device with the 3.5" screen and I'd be happy.
    Give people who want bigger screens the same and they will be happy. Keep the same one screen size and it is beginning to feel a bit like we are lead by Apple rather then they are lead by it's customers.

Meh, I just would like a refreshed iOS all together? But with the Galaxy 8" phone Note thing, maybe Apple will at last give a bigger iPhone?

11. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

Judging by the pattern that is currently going, it'll be a 5S. Unless it is a complete redesign, which I don't see happening, it could be a 6.

12. maxosx macrumors 68020

As I see it, just like the article (linked) I posted, why not offer two top of the line iPhones. One with a 5.0" display, the other a 4.0" like iPhone 5.

Since the iPhone 5 is the same width as the 4 & 4S, lots of people like that size. Then for those of us that would benefit significantly from a larger screen we'd be set as well. Apple is successful offering two MBA's & MBP's, this is no different.

Think about it, the only complaint that I've ever posted is the lack of choice regarding display size. When others have said they're bored or iOS is stale, I've never joined in. It works great now. If Apple wants to add features that's fine but they'd be extras in my case.

Finally I don't just "think" a larger screen would be better, I _know_ it would for many of us. I've been using larger screens on my Galaxy S, next my Galaxy S2, now Galaxy S3, and Note 2. So after a few years of big screens, when I go to use my iPhone 5, it's downright cramped.

Notice I'm NOT bashing the iPhone.

Quite the contrary instead of giving up I continue to wait. If Apple gives us a choice I'd bet that sales would skyrocket beyond what anyone might imagine. Choice _always_ results in increased sales. That's a statistical fact.

13. Demonface macrumors 6502a

If Apple was to release an 5 inch phone I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

From what I can tell, the iPhone 4s was released after the iPad 2. The iPad's model naming scheme seems to have nothing to do with the iPad's naming scheme.

If you really couldn't care less then this thread wouldn't exist.

15. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

There is no ipad 3 or ipad 4. There is an ipad 3rd generation and an ipad 4th gen both of which are just called The iPad. So you cant compare those to the iphone.

Also this entire argument about a bigger screen size is getting old.

It was not so long ago everyone was saying that they wanted a 4" iphone. Everyone was talking about all the 4" androids and complaining about apples 3.5" phone. So Apple releases the 4" iphone that everyone wanted and guess what! They all complain its not 5". When Apple releases a 5" iPhone then everyone will be complaining that its not 6.3". There is no pleasing people.

16. irDigital0l thread starter Guest

Ok then...

Lol

17. nam macrumors newbie

The effect of no steve jobs

Well this has always lingered on my mind. Although I believe the aesthetics will still be great since its driven by Jonathan Ives, ie the BRAUN design style, I wonder if the function will evolve at the same great pace it's had for so long. I wonder what happens behind the doors when the two talk about the next development and who is driving what. But looking back I remember when Jobs first left Apple and there was a clear separation from the Apple of old to the the Power PC era and immediately when he came back the iMac was introduced. I think the iPhone 6 will be the first glimpse of this. Will they take it farther and surprise us, or make something derivative to play it safe, or worst begin to become unconfident and start duplicating android competitors.

Just some thoughts.