Next iPhone Key Selling Point: RETINA Audio

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whocaresit, Apr 15, 2012.

1. whocaresit, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

whocaresit macrumors 6502a

So far the Apple has been massively successful with the releases of Retina Display devices in the past few years.

Don't you think the next logical step would be to improve the audio with "Retina" quality high definition speakers for your ears? I think iTunes store will also be seeing an upgrade providing lossless audio files.

Will the next iPhone (iPhone 5) have RETINA quality audio? The best audio that outperforms the human ears? :eek:

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

3. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Retina is the part of the human eye that contains rods and cones to process visual information, there is no connection between the retina and hearing so retina audio just doesn't make sense at all.

If anything the term you are looking for would be cochlea clear audio or something....

Get yours terms right next time.
    Thanks.

4. cynics macrumors G4

Retina Audio? I don't even have the words for that.

Anyway, it's unlikely it will be too much better, maybe some sort of advancement in speaker tech in the phone and headphones. However the audio quality comes from the source of the file. I wouldn't expect much better and if it is it will only be minimal and not that impressive of an upgrade.

5. Skullbussa macrumors member

Wow, the peanut gallery is out in full force.

Regardless of "retina" the OP has a good point: phone audio sucks. This is a telco issue and not a phone issue but it would be nice if we had seamless VOIP hand-off for capable phones that could offer HD voice call quality without dipping into our data plans.

6. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Retina Audio :confused:

Anyway, high quality music performance would not be much of a selling point for most people. With the headphones provided by Apple, I doubt there would be any noticeable difference to people. With a nice pair of headphones, it will be noticeable to people who care about it, whereas most people still wouldn't get it. A retina display is much more tangible for most people compared to audio quality, which people have a much harder time recognizing.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I hear people getting excited for "HD voice" calls, so maybe that would be something. But retina audio makes no sense.

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Cochlea audio? What's the point? The majority of people can't tell the difference between 192 and 320 kbps, and unless they ship their phone with something other than those god awful Apple earbuds it won't make a difference anyway.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess if you believe retina and audio belong in the same sentence then you're stupid enough to believe its a possible selling point.

10. swingerofbirch, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    To be fair, retina display doesn't make sense either.

EDIT:

To the at least four people who down voted, use your words!

How does retina display make sense?

It's as if you wanted to advertise a blanket as being soft and called it the epidermis blanket, because it's the epidermis of the skin that comes in contact with it.

You use your retina to look at something whether it's high resolution or not. Blind people use their retinas to detect varying degrees of light. It isn't logical to equate retina with high resolution.

11. cynics macrumors G4

And this was my point. I can't tell the difference between my apple earbuds and my buddies high end ear buds although he can. So it would be nice for some that wouldn't effect me.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Even Apple did improve the audio quality on the next iPhone, they'd have a much harder time selling it to people.

The "retina display" was a noticeable improvement that virtually anyone could notice.

Given the huge variances in headphones and audio sources (mostly they suck!), the average person just wouldn't notice the improvements.

13. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

If they did go this route, I bet it would not be the sole focus of the upgrade as that would leave a lot of people dissatisfied.

14. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

So - I get the idea that you're saying and actually, I think it'll be a good idea. Making it more clear, is clearly, a plus and logically, it does make sense.

Will they do it? Who knows! :apple:

15. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

Won't happen. With the expected increase in display size, more powerful cpu, increased graphic performance and retooling of the assembly lines, i wouldn't expect anything like beats audio.

Would add to much to what is probably gonna cut into Apple's profit per iPhone by upwards of 20%, assuming they sell the iPhone 5 at 4s prices. They will recoup this if the keep the same form factor in the follow on iPhone, at which time it would make sense to add better speakers for better auddio at that time.

16. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. Since my first KISS concert any audio improvement would be "wasted" on me.

17. daaneel macrumors regular

what i would like to see AT LEAST is apple make the speakers louder. I mean comon , even in the wind you can barely hear music or watch videos with the volume on max.

18. mrbutters macrumors regular

HTC put Beats Audio in that One X. I always thought it would be killer if Apple teamed up with Bose for the sound in their devices.

19. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

HTC had been including Beats audio headsets too, but they have stopped shipping the headsets with the phones (One series and Evo 4G). Beats audio is still included with the phones though. I haven't heard one to see if it is that much better than Apple or Samsung phones? I have hearing loss from jet engines and gun fire, so I probably would't notice any difference. :D

20. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

If you are going to go, at least go big. Leave Bose in the trash can and grab some Bowers and Wilkins or Marten Designs :).

Hi-fi iPhone?

21. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm not even going to touch the fact that the OP can't differentiate between the eyes and the ears.:rolleyes:
    However, I will say this. Of all the criticism about the ipod line, one thing is clear: the ipod is not considered the gold standard by audiophiles when it comes to music playback. Hearing is a lot more varied too. Some people can hear certain pitches, while others have blown out their hearing by forgoing earplugs in high decibel situations. A friend wears earplugs in restaurants, which is how dedicated she is to maintaining her hearing.
    So having cochlear audio will never be a key selling point. At best, it'll be listed on the features board when so-and-so is presenting the rest of the iphone's added features. Personally, I think lossless files will just one day be added--if they decide to go that route.
    OP, you might want to think twice before going into business.

22. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's because Beats audio is borderline scam. Better audio "enhancements" through BBE, SRS, Dolby, etc, heck even simple EQ settings, have been around forever. I personally do strongly hope Apple adopts a better sound customization in iOS devices but Beats isn't the way to go.

While the use of the term "Retina" seems silly, I do get the OP's point. However audio quality on modern phones are actually pretty nice and most people won't recognize it even if improvements are made. The only way to make a real difference would be by including a better set of headphones and we know that probably won't happen.

Now if we're talking about improving the quality of phone calls, that's something Apple could easily do. They can have something like Facetime but without the video part and have the audio transmit with sufficient bit rate. It'll basically a seamless Skype built-in to iOS.

23. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I am laughing so hard right now. The shear stupidity of it all is overwhelming me. Holy crap.

24. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I looked at the title of this thread and came here just to thumb it down.

This won't happen because uncompressed songs can be scores of times larger than their iTunes counterparts. Most people won't recognize the difference and it won't be a good experience to have iPhones that can only hold 200 songs.

25. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I seriously hope for his sake that th OP is under the age of 9. He'll at least have time to atone his sheer stupidity. Otherwise he will be unemployable forever. :eek:

Please look up the word retina and slap yourself silly once you realize how embarrassingly dumb your suggestion was.