Next iPhone no home button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhalandrew, Apr 10, 2012.

1. iPhalandrew macrumors member

Apple probably get's the most people coming in asking for replacements phone when either A. The screen is cracked. or B.the home button isn't responding correctly. Don't you think this would push them into getting rid of it so there would be even less defects with the phone?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't agree that the home button failing is one of the prevalent issues.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'd agree that it was an issue with the iPhone 4, but the 4S has a sturdier button and seems like it'll last longer.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm not so sure about that. iFixit did not note anything about a more sturdy home button assembly in their teardown.

5. mo0620 macrumors regular

The iPhone 4S home button has a rubber thing surrounding the button, whereas the iPhone 4 does not. So this rubber jacket prevents dust/dirt from getting onto the home button flex, so it should last longer

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nah, the physical button has it's own advantages.

I don't the home button failing is that big of an issue for most people. Has worked fine over the years for many idevices for me. Not to mention, i think they're better built now.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

The low tech home button projects Apples indecision when it comes to controls. Terribly slow & inefficient, it's Steve Jobs tribute to the analog days.

After three bricked iP4's due to complete button failures, I was surprised they kept it on the iPhone 4S. Perhaps in a year or two they'll catch up.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Okay? I easily noticed a difference between my 4S and my friend's iPhone 4 home button. The one on my 4S seems like it tighter in place and requires a bit more push to get it down

9. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Interesting question - I actually don't think it'll have a non physical home button. Lots said that for new iPad too, but it didn't come true.

True, the 4S has less home button problems. I see it everyday! So, hopefully the 5's home button is just as workable.

As for the screen, I actually think it'll be extremely similar, both in form factor and in screen breakability.

10. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Its a nice thought but also when removing the iPhone home button you have to think about other devices

Look at their 3 iOS devices. They all look relatively similar on the front face. If they were to remove the home button on the iPhone i would bet that they would go along the same lines for their other devices.

So i would think that if they made a change to the iPhone in removing the home button, we would see a dramatic change in all 3 devices in their next iterations.

11. RMC Tech macrumors newbie

RMC Tech

Exactly!! I think the same thing. Keeping everything alike is extremely important to them. :apple:

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I really do not see it happening. You always need some physical button on the phone to wake up the device. They could follow android to make that linked to the power putton which would do double duty was a sleep and wake up button.

13. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

the power button on the iPhone currently does sleep/wake. in fact the home button can't even put the phone to sleep, it only has the wake function.

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

If anything I think they could make a capacitive button

15. /user/me macrumors 6502

Ran by software... In the event that your phone freezes, there would be no way to do a reset..

16. PacificBeach macrumors regular

Since apple quietly added assistive touch to iOS5
    I expect the next iphone to not even have a clickable home button.

17. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You could pick up 5 different iPhone 4 and 4S, and all of the home buttons would press slightly differently.

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

God I hope not. Having at least one physical button (other than the volume rocker) makes troubleshooting, resetting, ect.

19. wtmk81 macrumors regular

wtmk81

I jailbroke my iPHone and I use Zephyer. It's amazing, I hardly ever use the home button. Maybe just to wake the device, but if they removed it, I could use the power button at the top.

20. cynics macrumors G4

Volume up + power. Competition has been doing that since on screen buttons were released a year or so ago.

21. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

And you would continuously close apps because your finger is resting on the black bars.

22. cynics macrumors G4

Hmm....just don't do that. Btw capacaitive is still hardware just as much as the iPhones button is, hardware activating software. Just more sensitive to touch and less prone to wear. Pure software would be on screen buttons.

I personally would like to see iPhone do a software on screen button. Then when watching a movie or playing a game you get even more screen space with absolutely no effect of the phones physical dimensions. Plus its impervious to wearing out..

23. nutmac macrumors 68040

If the rumor pans out and new iPhone does adopt taller screen, home button may become a casualty (replaced by a gesture) to make some room (as to not increase overall physical size).

The way an average person holds an iPhone, a full vertical swipe from top of the screen to home button is doable, but not much higher. The side effect of this design, of course, is that screen won't be symmetric when held in landscape orientation. And Apple will need to come up with a suitable gesture to replace home button.

24. lordromanov01 macrumors member

maybe they should copy the ipad swipe gestures, but with three fingers?

like three finger swipe up from bottom of screen is like the home button, and from top of screen brings up the multitask bar. that could contain the notification centre as well maybe.

this could mess with some apps but i havent seen any before that use 3 finger swipes

25. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

This is not even a possibility. The home button is there for simplicity so if you're ever in an app, you don't have to try to make some awkward gesture to go back home. Movement wise, this would be a hell of a lot harder than just pressing the home button. Most we can expect is them making the home button capacitive. No home button at all? Not a chance. The great thing about i devices is you can hand it to a 3 yr old and they don't have to learn some crazy gestures or anything to use it. They instinctively know to just press the home button