Next iPhone WILL have a larger screen according to source

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mysterioustko, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

.....based on http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ba...-on-2012s-redesigned-ipad-iphone-macbook-pro/ they state: "Our source says that the next-generation iPhone will not look like the teardrop-shaped version that was widely rumored for release in 2011. We’ve been told that the device will have a 4-inch display and will be 8mm longer than before, with a metal casing (probably aluminum). It is on track to be introduced in summer of 2012, and is still in the engineering phase, not early production. We suspect that poor battery life doomed the prior prototype version, and that this one is being built with LTE-ready battery drain in mind."

I for one tend to take rumors like these with a grain of salt, however I do have to admit it does seem quite feasible and fairly likely for that matter.

2. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I understand the quotes about Jobs being worried it'd cause fragmentation, but iOS is so limited as is I think that it is something at can be overcome as a whole as the hardware/software packages available to iOS devices are still a fraction of other OS' which have enormous combinations of hardware/software.

I'd love a bigger screen, but for me it would have to be able to be done so that it doesn't make the device uncomfortably large, or sacrifice battery life, etc.

3. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I learnt to ignore most rumours really but i think the slightly larger screen is inevitable. But they would have to do it so the phone didn't increase in size much. As mentioned, i don't want anything noticeably bigger than the iPhone. Mini pocket tablets are a MASSIVE no.

As for what it will look like, it's just impossible to know. The design geniuses at apple and the god himself jony ive, aren't they locked away in something resembling a bank vault.

We will know when Tim Cook stands on stage next year to reveal it.

4. mysterioustko thread starter macrumors 6502

quite frankly I think a 4in screen is something that could have easily done in the past if their only concern was device size (The sensation has a 4.3 and the phone itself is only SLIGHTLY larger than the iPhone 4/4s). If it's a software scaling issue like some have stated then I think they have had quite enough time to code an answer for that. Though yes I will say it is possible that it could create at least an element of fragmentation. If that is the case then that would be due to the very poor foresight of those that worked on the OS. Did they think it would be one size screen forever? Either way, I think a change in screen size alone will prompt many a consumer to purchase it. The other phone manufacturers really dropped the ball on an opportunity to capitalize on Apple's underwhelming refresh this year. Next year they are going to have a hard time drawing people away from the iPhone if this rumor is indeed true.