Next iPhone's bigger screen reason= iTV remote?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
The current iPhone can be used as a remote.

There is no "reason" to go with a bigger screen. As in, it's not for the sake of some new killer feature.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Why are my threads stupid? And how do you even remember my user name if I haven't posted in a week. At least we're passing the time.
Because it is stupid to think that using the iPhone as a remote is priority for apple, and because of this they will make the screen larger.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
As mentioned the current phone can be used as a remote just fine, a bigger screen is not needed. That said, a phone, tablet, or any other touch screen device makes a horrible remote. With your traditional remote you can use it without having to look at it. It may sound silly but looking down at your remote every time you want to change the volume or channel will get real old real quick.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
As mentioned the current phone can be used as a remote just fine, a bigger screen is not needed. That said, a phone, tablet, or any other touch screen device makes a horrible remote. With your traditional remote you can use it without having to look at it. It may sound silly but looking down at your remote every time you want to change the volume or channel will get real old real quick.
You are 100% correct.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Jony Ive: How the hell am I going to make this TV remote app work properly on this 3.5" screen??? IT CANT BE DONE!!!

..2 weeks later..

Ive: Ummmm Mr Cook...the TV remote app just wont work on a 3.5" screen.

TC: Well then Jony, MAKE THE SCREEN BIGGER, DAMMIT! NOW GET OUT OF MY OFFICE.

The 4" iPhone is born...And the remote app looks outstanding!

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I think that's the reason why.
It can be used as a remote.
Right, they will increase the iPhone screen size, invest tons in new R&D for the new hardware, make changes in iOS to accomodate the new size, make all developers update their apps for the new screen size all so that the iPhone can be used as a remote for an alleged iTV.

Yep, make perfect sense...:rolleyes:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I use my TV remote to change the channels, etc. :D Why in the world would you use a phone for that ?? :confused:

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Why are my threads stupid? And how do you even remember my user name if I haven't posted in a week. At least we're passing the time.

On the basis of the incremental increase in length how many more iterations of the model before two could be used as chopsticks?

Stupid Stupid Stupid......

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I see. The comment didn't specify Apple TV only. The wa I read it made it seem like you could just grab your iphone and control any TV anywhere.
The title of the comment says iTV and implies an Apple branded TV to me
I don't see any incentive for Apple to create functionality in the iPhone to control TVs not made by Apple

iapplelove

macrumors 601
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Unless the user can talk to it and tell it to turn down the volume. Don't even have to touch it actually just have it near you.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is an interesting (and I am assuming playful) theory. Too many people take **** from an Apple fan thread seriously. Jesus.

----------

I don't see any incentive for Apple to create functionality in the iPhone to control TVs not made by Apple
If Apple brought us a universal remote right in our phones I see plenty of incentive. Another reason to buy an iPhone. I no longer need a Logitech harmony (or insert other universal remote here).

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I understand that now, but the initial comment that I quoted and replied to did not specify that. But you have made it clear. I misread it. My mistake. You are right and I am wrong. Happy now?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Unless the user can talk to it and tell it to turn down the volume. Don't even have to touch it actually just have it near you.
It'll certainly vary with personal preference but I have absolutely 0 interest in talking to my TV. TV remotes work fine, no need to reinvent the wheel. Done correctly I can see some merit in motion based control but having the tech to make it sensitive enough is probably going to take a while.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I think that's the reason why.
It can be used as a remote.
Interesting thought. If an 'iTV' really is in the pipeline, we're going to be able to control it with our idevices for certain, and with a keypad, d-pad and everything, they need all the space they can get. But while that thought must have crossed the minds at Apple, I'm pretty sure it's not the reason for the larger screen.

Last edited: