Next iPhone's bigger screen reason= iTV remote?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

I think that's the reason why.
    It can be used as a remote.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Stop with these stupid threads.

3. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

The current iPhone can be used as a remote.

There is no "reason" to go with a bigger screen. As in, it's not for the sake of some new killer feature.

4. skidbubble macrumors 6502

How? I thought TV remotes used infra-red (IR) and I see no such device in my iPhone.

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, if Apple is going to sell its own TV set, they could go for a bluetooth remote, couldn't they?

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The current iPhone remote app will operate the Apple TV
    Any new Apple TV product could be powered the same way without a bigger phone

7. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why are my threads stupid? And how do you even remember my user name if I haven't posted in a week. At least we're passing the time.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Because it is stupid to think that using the iPhone as a remote is priority for apple, and because of this they will make the screen larger.

9. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

As mentioned the current phone can be used as a remote just fine, a bigger screen is not needed. That said, a phone, tablet, or any other touch screen device makes a horrible remote. With your traditional remote you can use it without having to look at it. It may sound silly but looking down at your remote every time you want to change the volume or channel will get real old real quick.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

See below.

There is also wifi.... I use my phone to control a Sony blueray.

11. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

12. 617aircav Suspended

You are 100% correct.

13. batting1000 macrumors 604

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Jony Ive: How the hell am I going to make this TV remote app work properly on this 3.5" screen??? IT CANT BE DONE!!!

..2 weeks later..

Ive: Ummmm Mr Cook...the TV remote app just wont work on a 3.5" screen.

TC: Well then Jony, MAKE THE SCREEN BIGGER, DAMMIT! NOW GET OUT OF MY OFFICE.

The 4" iPhone is born...And the remote app looks outstanding!

15. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I see. The comment didn't specify Apple TV only. The wa I read it made it seem like you could just grab your iphone and control any TV anywhere.

16. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Right, they will increase the iPhone screen size, invest tons in new R&D for the new hardware, make changes in iOS to accomodate the new size, make all developers update their apps for the new screen size all so that the iPhone can be used as a remote for an alleged iTV.

Yep, make perfect sense...:rolleyes:

17. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

I use my TV remote to change the channels, etc. :D Why in the world would you use a phone for that ?? :confused:

18. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

On the basis of the incremental increase in length how many more iterations of the model before two could be used as chopsticks?

Stupid Stupid Stupid......

19. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The title of the comment says iTV and implies an Apple branded TV to me
    I don't see any incentive for Apple to create functionality in the iPhone to control TVs not made by Apple

20. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

21. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Unless the user can talk to it and tell it to turn down the volume. Don't even have to touch it actually just have it near you.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is an interesting (and I am assuming playful) theory. Too many people take **** from an Apple fan thread seriously. Jesus.

----------

If Apple brought us a universal remote right in our phones I see plenty of incentive. Another reason to buy an iPhone. I no longer need a Logitech harmony (or insert other universal remote here).

23. skidbubble macrumors 6502

I understand that now, but the initial comment that I quoted and replied to did not specify that. But you have made it clear. I misread it. My mistake. You are right and I am wrong. Happy now?

24. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It'll certainly vary with personal preference but I have absolutely 0 interest in talking to my TV. TV remotes work fine, no need to reinvent the wheel. Done correctly I can see some merit in motion based control but having the tech to make it sensitive enough is probably going to take a while.

25. chambone, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Interesting thought. If an 'iTV' really is in the pipeline, we're going to be able to control it with our idevices for certain, and with a keypad, d-pad and everything, they need all the space they can get. But while that thought must have crossed the minds at Apple, I'm pretty sure it's not the reason for the larger screen.