Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
This is the weak link and probably the major reason for returns. We all at one point or another have had the home button acting up. Let's face it, at 2012 why are we still going to have the next iPhone with a physical home button? I have a few devices with capacitive buttons and they are a major improvement over physical buttons. Also eliminating the physical home button with a capacitive one frees up room for display real estate. I'm predicting that this year will be the last iPhone with a physical home button. I really can't see Apple being that stagnant as to not bring this much needed improvement ever.

Apple users are among the most OCD people that are reluctant to accept change even if it's good for them. So for the nay sayers that don't like change....were getting a larger display this year, like it or not.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Getting rid of the home button is probably the number one thing I am hoping for. IMO it is not necessary, though removing it would change the iconic look of the front of the iPhone which has literally not seen change... ever.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I also think we could do without it but it is kinda what distinguishes an iPhone from others.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I don't know. I'm using a Galaxy Note without a physical home button right and often find myself reaching for the capacitive button to wake the device like the iPhone home button does. Maybe I just need some more retraining though.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
The iconic look of the home button can stay, but just not as a physical button. It doesn't have to be a button in the sense it is right now. There are a ton of ways around it. I hate the bottom area of the iPhone where the button is. It's such a waste of space. Just look at it. It really looks stupid when u start to think about it.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I haven't had major issues with the home button. But it would be good to see a capacitive option. My only concern would be hitting it accidentally and waking up the screen. If this happens continuously, it could have an adverse effect on battery lifenn

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Well larger screen size is a given. So it probably depends on whether the iPhone itself stays the same size or not. I think if the iPhone stays the same size, we will most likely have a touch sensitive home button based on the fact that the home button will have to be smaller and many will have trouble or less comfort pushing it. If the iPhone ends up a larger size, the home button will most likely remain the same.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Never had an issue with it. I would miss my jelly bean button on my switcheasy colors case

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The iconic look of the home button can stay, but just not as a physical button.

That's great for when the screen is on. When it's off, you basically have a front that looks dangerously like all of those android phones without a home button. My worry (suspicion) is that Apple wouldn't want that.

Last edited:

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
I don't know. I'm using a Galaxy Note without a physical home button right and often find myself reaching for the capacitive button to wake the device like the iPhone home button does. Maybe I just need some more retraining though.

Samsung mobile devices are a straight up rip off of iOS devices. I'm sure if Apple didn't have a physical home button Samsung wouldn't either.

----------

maybe you should have made that a poll

No

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
New York
That's a pretty bold statement to make, especially since there are Samsung mobile devices out there that don't have said button...

And touchwiz doesn't look like iOS? OK! I'll say it again and with confidence, Samsung straight up rips off Apple in design hardware and software wise, that's a fact.

samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review_gallery_post.jpg

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
And touchwiz doesn't look like iOS? OK! I'll say it again and with confidence, Samsung straight up rips off Apple in design hardware and software wise, that's a fact.

I disagree. SO do various courts. :)

The picture you posted is how the front of a TON of smartphones look. Pretty difficult to make them look different without adding a bunch of unnecessary flare or some such.

----------

ive had 4 of the 5 iphones released to date. my home button has never "acted up"

Sounds like you are replacing them yearly? I never had issues either and have had all versions. My fiance, on the other hand, has had her iPhone 4 since launch. Her phone is the first I have experienced the home screen issue with. It isn't terrible (doesn't register maybe 1/10 times) and is out of warranty unfortunately, so we are just going to deal with it until the next phone launches, unless it becomes much worse.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I disagree. SO do various courts. :)
Sounds like you are replacing them yearly? I never had issues either and have had all versions. My fiance, on the other hand, has had her iPhone 4 since launch. Her phone is the first I have experienced the home screen issue with. It isn't terrible (doesn't register maybe 1/10 times) and is out of warranty unfortunately, so we are just going to deal with it until the next phone launches, unless it becomes much worse.

I had the first iphone for 2 and a half years before getting the 3GS then started replacing yearly but never had any issues with the home button on that one. that was when I realized the iPhone was so revolutionary for me at the time I didnt need a new phone all the time cause I was content with the iphone. Unfortunately an iPhone with new features proved to be much harder to stay away from haha.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The s3 looks absolutely nothing like the iPhone. :confused:

Not to mention that particular picture makes the SIII look beautiful. It's really only the back of the device that looks "aesthetically challenged" in my opinion. The Verge takes splendid pics for their reviews.

@OP, smartphones are, more or less, all starting to look similar. It's unavoidable. You can only do a full touchscreen device in so many ways.

Think about portable cameras. Portable cameras all, more or less, look the same too, and you don't see anyone complaining that Canon is copying Sony or vice versa with any of the other camera manufacturers. These sorts of electronics borrow cues from each other, sure, but maybe it's time to get over it.

To get back on topic: I'd love to see the home button go too on the next iPhone. I've been using a Galaxy Nexus and the screen home button is fantastic. Something about a full button-less front screen is sleek and beautiful. I'm ready to see it go on the iPhone. In fact, I was a little disappointed it didn't go on the new iPad, which I ended up picking up.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I have owned phones with capacitive and physical buttons.

My home button always works. I've had capacitive buttons freeze and become unresponsive on all my android phones.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
i would love if apple took the swipe ui from nokia. No buttons, besides power and volume.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have owned phones with capacitive and physical buttons.

My home button always works. I've had capacitive buttons freeze and become unresponsive on all my android phones.

I can agree to your assessment of capacitive buttons. I think what is being suggested here (or at least what I am suggesting) is getting rid of the "button" all together. If anything, have it part of the actual screen (a la Android 4.0). The only situation in which this wouldn't be ideal would be for waking the device, though I know I could easily get over that. The power button already doubles in functionality in that way.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Apple users are among the most OCD people that are reluctant to accept change even if it's good for them. So for the nay sayers that don't like change....were getting a larger display this year, like it or not.

It's always good to start a discussion with exaggerations, stereotypes, and openly mocking those you want to have a discussion with.

That said, if they take away the home button, how would one get to the home screen while in a full screen app?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That said, if they take away the home button, how would one get to the home screen while in a full screen app?

Similar to how we do it on Android. Or, add gestures like we have in OSX. Think of how you would bring the widgets bar down while in an app in iOS currently. A tap at the top of the screen make the little tab visible. Well, a tap where the home button used to be on the bottom can do the same. Another tap would be the same as pressing the home button.

Or maybe something completely different. I am sure Apple could think of something.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
It's always good to start a discussion with exaggerations, stereotypes, and openly mocking those you want to have a discussion with.

Use the pinch gesture in the iPad, but make it three fingers rather than four or five.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.