Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sausages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
Hi!

for a while now i've been looking around the apple store for the mac that would best suit my needs. i'd really like to get a dual processor system. atm, the dual 1.25 g4 looks to be prietty spot on to what i'm looking for, both price and speed. (does anyone have any decibel levels of this machine?).

at this point in time, the dual 2ghz g5, the only alternative dual cpu powermac available, and is WAY out of my price range.
would people be able to share their knowldge and gestimates as to what they would expect to apper in the next revision of the powermac line. in particular, the lowest end g5 dual cpu. would it be likely that we could see a dual 1.8? and what month next year do people think that these updates would be available? do you think we'd see the g4 line dissapear or get another price cut?

thanks very much in advance for you help! btw. i'm a windows switcher, so that might help bring out your best :)

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I'm a switcher too.
I just ordered a 1.8 G5 with a 20 display.
The dual 2.0 is great for the ego, but will the machine be maxed?
I can almost max out my P4 2.26 with iTunes visualizer, but I need to be realistic. For what I want the 1.8 is a good solution.
I figure I look at the screen the most, so I might as well splurge a bit on that.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: next powermac g5 update estimates

Originally posted by sausages

at this point in time, the dual 2ghz g5, the only alternative dual cpu powermac available, and is WAY out of my price range.
would people be able to share their knowldge and gestimates as to what they would expect to apper in the next revision of the powermac line. in particular, the lowest end g5 dual cpu. would it be likely that we could see a dual 1.8?

See for a timeline: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

PowerMac last updated in 6/2003... (sorta, finally started shipping in 8/2003).

PowerMac was said to hit 3ghz in 1 year, so, assume Jul/Aug 2004 release... which means one other release in the interim.

Which would place that update around Feb 2004. If they have to reach 3GHz at the high end by Jul/Aug 2004, a Feb update has reach 2.5GHz, and may bring the low end up to 2.0GHz.

arn

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I've been thinking about this too. I wonder how they'll do 2.5 GHz? 2.4 maybe with a 1200 MHz FSB? Or 2.5 with a 1000 MHz FSB and 1.5 multiplier? Doubt they'd go straight for 3 GHz. I'm sure IBM has something up their sleeves.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
My understanding is that they don't do non-integer multipliers. This makes sense in that the AMD and P4 northbridges could do non-integer multipliers between local bus and SDRAM clocks. And if you have faster memory and used the non-integer multipler, your through put was actually less. Due to the need to get sync'd.
So if you're going for performance why bother to support non-integer multiplier.
The local bus on the 970 is (I believe the term is) source synchronous. So they can keep cranking up the local bus speed with much less of a problem as the AMD or P4 local bus.

sausages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2003
PowerMac was said to hit 3ghz in 1 year, so, assume Jul/Aug 2004 release... which means one other release in the interim...around Feb 2004

i don't really get this :(. has apple specisified that there will be an update then, or have they been having updates faithfully every six months, or something else. is there any more background info to go with that :)

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
At a random guess I would say Late Jan, early Feb '04. Soon followed by either; 1) a speed bump and graphics update in the Powerbooks, or 2) a move to G5 in the Powerbook.
Like I said just a random guess, but by that time the Opterons will be up around the 2.4/2.6 or greater mark and the Intel Prescot core will be released. It would only be logical to follow suit and upgrade the line.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by sausages
i don't really get this :(. has apple specisified that there will be an update then, or have they been having updates faithfully every six months, or something else. is there any more background info to go with that :)

Apple has said this on two occasions:

Apple Expo Paris - Steve Jobs: "before the end of next summer" (3GHz PowerMac)

WWDC - ...will be at 3GHz in 12 months.

arn

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I hear what your saying Arn but the thread is entitled"next powermac g5 update estimates" not when is the 3GHz model being released.

I'm just guessing early feb because of whot the competition will have out then. Why would apple wait another 6 months for the next speed bump? I don't know but stranger things have happened.:)

I hope I'm not out of line.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by manitoubalck
I hear what your saying Arn but the thread is entitled"next powermac g5 update estimates" not when is the 3GHz model being released.

Ah... misread the question.

Yes, Apple releases new powermacs approx every 6 months.

(See the buyersguide!)

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.