NEXT questions??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ftaok, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I've just switched over to AT&T's Mobile Share plan for my wife and I. We're on the 10GB plan and are both needing/wanting the new iPhone 6.

I am prepared to pay the $650 per phone in order to keep the $25 discount on each phone. However, looking at the NEXT plan seems like a good deal, but I do have a few questions.

1. With the NEXT plan, you are eligible to upgrade your phone after 12 or 18 months, provided you trade your phone into AT&T. But what happens if you don't intend to upgrade within 2 years? Let's say I wait 3 years to upgrade ... if I want to use NEXT for that phone, would I need to give them the iPhone 6? After all, I would have finished the 24 monthly payments.

2. What happens with credit card extended warranties when using the NEXT plan? I use an Amex card to buy stuff that adds an additional year of warranty. So if I go with NEXT, I only have to pay sales tax, so would Amex cover me if my phone craps out at 18 months?

I guess I have to weigh out if the $40 upgrade fee is worth it in comparision to the additional year of warranty from Amex.

2. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Amex will cover only the amount that you charge on the card.

3. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

I can't answer the questions about your credit card but I do know that if you set your phone up on the 12 month plan (for example), after that 12 months is up it is your phone. You do not have to give it back to upgrade. If you set your phone up on the 18 month plan and you decide to upgrade after 12 months, you just have to pay the rest of the 18 months worth of payments before you can upgrade.

There is no 24 months of payments. If it was on the 18 month plan, after the 18th month you do not pay anymore and the phone is yours. It's basically AT&T financing your phone for $0 down and 0% interest.

4. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

You have it backwards. With next the payments are divided into two categories. 12 month and 18 month. With 12 month you have 20 payments. After 12 months you can trade in the device if you want to upgrade early. On the 18 you have 24 payments. You can upgrade early after 18 months or finish paying the phone off after 24 months. The phone is not yours until you either pay off the balance early or finish you 20 month/ 24 month payment plan. The 12 and 18 is only the time limit you have to complete before you can upgrade but again you have to return the phone

5. apple.snapple macrumors regular

From Apple.com. Best explanation I could find.

6. ftaok thread starter macrumors 603

ftaok

That's what I was afraid of. So the choice is to go with NEXT and save $40/phone on the upgrade fee, or pay full price, plus $40/phone to get the second year of warranty. I've done the math and the $200-2year contract method doesn't work out, so it's really only NEXT vs. full-price.

OK, good to know. So if I go with NEXT with the intent to upgrade early, it's best to upgrade as soon as you meet the requirement of 12 or 18 months. Otherwise you're paying the monthly NEXT fee but you'd still have to hand in the phone.

7. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

There is no upgrade fee if you buy a full price phone, that only applies to subsidized phones.

To me buying unlocked and keeping my discounted monthly rate has been the way to go. The next plan isn't terrible it just gets you a carrier locked phone and increases your monthly spending rather than paying all at once.

8. ftaok thread starter macrumors 603

ftaok

Great to know. Thamks