Nexus 4 has 7 band Qualcomm LTE chip according to AnandTech/iFixit teardown!!!!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by digital.l0gic, Nov 16, 2012.

1. digital.l0gic, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012

digital.l0gic macrumors member

!!!:eek:
    I dont know what to say!. I really hope iFixit didnt get something wrong..but from the pics and the model number they seem to be right!. What is going on? a 7 band LTE chip which is not turned on??

Recent news...Google supposedly in talks with Dish Network to be a phone carrier. Are these two related?....maybe When Tmobile has their LTE towers ready this will be turned on??

I dont even...:eek::eek:

Edited to add

Anadtech Review also mentions this part, so yes, this part exists
    OMG Basedband 4 is exactly the same LTE band Tmobile is installing now!!!!

2. riveting macrumors 6502

They already make the phone very cheap compare to the hardware, google don't want the phone to be perfect as it will piss its manufacture partners. So they crippled a few things, including LTE. Well, just my opinion.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

What the heck is going on?!?!

If this is true, could it possibly be enabled on AT&T???

4. digital.l0gic thread starter macrumors member

I think Riveting has a point...Google probably did not want to mention this initially cos it might piss off a lot of carriers (why would anyone buy their "subsidized phones" anymore?). I bet that if this info is not some huge messup by iFixit(i seriously doubt it), Google has future proofed this phone and probably plans to turn this on in the future.

I think this seriously ties in with the recent news that Google is trying to be a internet/mobile carrier. Expect gigabit internet and phone services by Google in a year or two. Also rumors say that there will be no more "voice" minutes in the Google's carrier plan. All the voice calls will be over Volte (Voice over LTE..which is much clearer than usual voice calls over mobile)

This is big guys...really big news.

5. dalbir4444 macrumors 6502a

If this is true, then I'm sure the modder community will be more than happy to turn it on somehow.:)

I find it hard to believe this is the case though.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

I hope I can enable it! If mine ever gets here...

And the model number clearly matches the link they posted to with a large document about the LTE chip. It is looking more and more like it is for sure an LTE chip in the Nexus 4.

7. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

That's what I'm thinking too! Too bad we don't have LTE in Ireland yet.

8. strausd macrumors 68030

Maybe this is why battery life has been so bad lately? LTE chip accidentally left on but not really using it?

9. digital.l0gic thread starter macrumors member

Guys check my edit to initial post.

Anandtech pretty much says LTE band 4 support is already there(other band support details are not explained..but yes..the part's existence is confirmed by Anandtech review as well). It is a 7 band LTE chip.

Guess what Tmobile uses band 4 LTE for its coming 4g installation! the plot thickens!

10. strausd macrumors 68030

So could this work with AT&T LTE?

11. Switchback666 macrumors 68000

Switchback666

12. digital.l0gic thread starter macrumors member

According to wiki At&T uses 700 Band 17, 1700/2100 MHz for LTE.
    I'm trying to find the datasheet for this Qualcomm chip but no luck yet. We know it supports band 4,2,1 but not sure what the other 4 bands are. Will update if i get more info.

PS; According to Anandtech this chip is the latest/greatest in the new generation of LTE chips.There is almost no data on its specs available on google...except for generic info

13. strausd macrumors 68030

Here's what iFixit linked to on the tear down:
    http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/document/view?id=7021921420

14. deyjavoo macrumors member

15. strausd macrumors 68030

Hahaha that's funny. I'm the same... obviously :)