Nexus 4 to iPhone 5/5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by s.horsfield, Apr 10, 2013.

1. s.horsfield macrumors regular

Hello,

I bought a Nexus 4 a few months back thinking it would be the end all, be all of phones. Turns out everything I thought I'd love (Widgets; a waste of time, Big screen; too big etc.) is wasted on me. It also has huge issues with battery (from my perspective) and it the OS/apps tend to be pretty buggy and laggy (on the odd occasion) compared to iOS. So I'm wanting to move back... My friends happily said he'll pay what I paid for it (plus a case and extra charger included) now and the phone will only go down in value in future. I develop iOS apps so a real device would in some ways be nice to test. I'm thinking I sell it now (to my friend), pay $600 NZD and buy a iPhone 5. Partly because of Siri (Google Now is terrible, some basic tasks it can't perform and it can't be activated from the lock screen).

The iPhone 5S is a 3-4 months around the corner and I don't know if it's worth waiting for. I'm not a big gamer (only some basic games) and I want the phone to last a few years. So... Is a spec bump worth waiting for? Should I wait for the 5S? Should I buy a 5 now and enjoy that? iOS 7 will presumably be the big upgrade this year which the 5 will obviously get. Opinions people?

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I'm glad someone is finally asking this question here I thought I was the only one wondering if I should buy a new phone now or wait.

3. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like such a spoilt brat but the Nexus is really bugging me and if my friends willing to buy it now for what I paid for it now, it makes sense somewhat but dropping an extra $600 on a phone seems crazy. Conflict... I hate it

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think three to four months is optimistic. i don't think we're going to see a new phone until three months or so after ios 7's been previewed. unless invites go out to the press soon, ios 7's unveiling will likely happen at wwdc in june, with a new phone to follow maybe in september. i think we're looking for at a 5 month wait at minimum.

5. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

That pretty much hits the nail on the head then. iPhone 5 it is.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

of course it's just wild speculation on my part. apple’s been known to throw curve balls before (like the ipad 4 last october).

7. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

Fair point but I don't think the iPhone 5 will be hugely outdated in 2 years... At least compared to the 5S. Maybe a little faster with a few apps. It shouldn't be crashing or lagging to much. At a guess at least

8. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

You could always buy the iPhone 5 now . Then when the next generation is around the corner you could always sell it on craigslist for good amount ....

9. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

Eh, if I bought the phone I don't think I'd sell it until at least the 6. I just want to do the most cost effective solution

10. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I'm conflicted about buying an iPhone 5 now or waiting, too. This point is the one that's making me go for the 5. Unless Apple doesn't release the 5S with iOS 7...

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the one curve ball nobody is expecting, that apple would release a new iphone with ios 6. i thought about it, and i think it's possible. new ipads and macs are launched all the time on old software. why not the iphone? it's bound to happen eventually, right?

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So you develop iOS apps but don't have an iOS device to test them on and you moved to Android? I am trying to wrap my head around this logic. :confused:

13. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest that's actually never been a huge issue. I can always borrow a friends or family members device for a couple of days. Heavily test the app and return it back to them. Although it would be great having iOS back in my life. Android is still pretty bad IMO. Everything I've made so far has been personal projects that are now semi-professional. However I don't work for anyone else, so I can do things at my own pace meaning not having an iOS device doesn't cause to many problems

14. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

as an owner of a iP5, I would suggest you to wait a few weeks for the GS4. It's just not worth it to get an iP5 at this time.

15. annaharris macrumors member

About iPhone 5S

IPhone 5 is much better than Nexus, but wait for another 3 months and you can get a brand new iPhone 5S.

16. jlwarlow macrumors member

jlwarlow

Or wait until the 5S/6 is out and the 5 drops in price!